coping with lockdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: coping with lockdown

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Life hasn't changed that much for me locally, a walk along the beach in the morning which is nicer with less people and then down to the pool midday for a swim and chat with the ever diminishing bunch of regulars. I live in a low rise condo with 4 blocks, 38 rooms in each but there is rarely more than 6 of us at the pool. Very lucky really. Was going to finally make the effort to learn my photo editing software and my laptop packed in, typical. Only complication I've got is a tooth extracted last week and I'm sure I've got a gum infection, went to hospital dentist Friday inconclusive, but hopefully my dentist is back Tuesday and will see me. Worst time possible to have this complication and certainly negatively affecting my day to day comfort.. Cant drink so even though my regular 200 yards from my door is open as it's a restaurant pub I'm not going.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:06 pm This thread is a bit of a revelation to me.

Am I the only one who had no idea so many of you don't appear to actually live in Cambodia?
I have since 2017, full time.

I was on a tour of South America (March and April) and got stranded in Mexico City on the 15th March when Colombia closed it's borders along with numerous other countries and on the 16th Canada did the same so I could not backtrack. So, the choice to be made: Mexico City for who knows how long or get back to London where I have family, a home, and a network. Easy choice.

I will return to Cambodia as soon as is practical.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Heard some chittering and scraping last night, then a boom. Door was locked, saw no one in the the living room/den/dining room/other room of the home. In the morning, turned on the lights, there was mess of bits of wood and plaster on the floor. Apparently some rodents in the ceiling had chewed something no meant to be chewed on. The stuff spewed from the hole between the ceiling and the fan. So far, everything electric still works and no burning smell.

One of the topics on CEO motivated me to try HBO Now. Pretty impressive library. Working my way through the series WestWorld. Years ago had a PlayStation 3, and loved it. So just decided to splurge on an Xbox One. Turning rapidly from a couch potato into a couch.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WildA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:18 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:01 am
j57 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 am I am using passap to call tuk tuks and wiping the seat and arm rests down with clorox wipes.
My apartment is well stocked and my wife is a superb cook and I was a Chef for 25 years all across the USA..
I am watching my dvd and Blu-ray collection I have schlepped to Cambodia over the past 3 years.
My apartment has a 10 meter pool and I am swimming 3-4 days a week.
Only 5 of the 7 units in my building are occupied and some people do not swim.
I am in a lockdown of sorts.. meaning I cannot book my flight back to the USA in late May to go work on my house and put it on the market for sale.
So, I will continue to bake breads and make pizza dough and enjoy my retirement in Siem Reap.
I am impressed with how my go to markets have provided sanitizers as has my bank ATM.
I was even tested for fever at the front gate of my meat purveyor Lee's frozen food yesterday.
I purchased a prime grade New Zealand ribeye, buffalo, pork and mozzarella.
I am grateful to be here with my beautiful wife instead of stuck back in the USA alone with her alone here. I made it back on January 20th after dealing with my mom's death..
I had to fly through China 6 times WHILE CHINA KNEW THEY HAD THE VIRUS IN WUHAN.
I spent 8 hours at the Shanghai airport on one trip and 8 in Guangzhou on another.
I flew back from the states through Hong Kong on the 20th of January.
So, I suspect I have already had the fucking Wuhan china virus already.
In my humble opinion the virus was in Cambodia months ago but was never tested.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than here with my Khmer wife.
I have 5 seasons of Peaky Blinders on blu ray and just finished another binge on season 4...
Its gonna be soooooo funny when coronavirus2 starts in the USA and we cn call it the LA american virus and watch the gingerbread man turn purple
It will only be funny to ignorant fools.
Well trump and his suppoerters will find it funny then
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:43 am
WildA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:18 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:01 am
j57 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 am I am using passap to call tuk tuks and wiping the seat and arm rests down with clorox wipes.
My apartment is well stocked and my wife is a superb cook and I was a Chef for 25 years all across the USA..
I am watching my dvd and Blu-ray collection I have schlepped to Cambodia over the past 3 years.
My apartment has a 10 meter pool and I am swimming 3-4 days a week.
Only 5 of the 7 units in my building are occupied and some people do not swim.
I am in a lockdown of sorts.. meaning I cannot book my flight back to the USA in late May to go work on my house and put it on the market for sale.
So, I will continue to bake breads and make pizza dough and enjoy my retirement in Siem Reap.
I am impressed with how my go to markets have provided sanitizers as has my bank ATM.
I was even tested for fever at the front gate of my meat purveyor Lee's frozen food yesterday.
I purchased a prime grade New Zealand ribeye, buffalo, pork and mozzarella.
I am grateful to be here with my beautiful wife instead of stuck back in the USA alone with her alone here. I made it back on January 20th after dealing with my mom's death..
I had to fly through China 6 times WHILE CHINA KNEW THEY HAD THE VIRUS IN WUHAN.
I spent 8 hours at the Shanghai airport on one trip and 8 in Guangzhou on another.
I flew back from the states through Hong Kong on the 20th of January.
So, I suspect I have already had the fucking Wuhan china virus already.
In my humble opinion the virus was in Cambodia months ago but was never tested.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than here with my Khmer wife.
I have 5 seasons of Peaky Blinders on blu ray and just finished another binge on season 4...
Its gonna be soooooo funny when coronavirus2 starts in the USA and we cn call it the LA american virus and watch the gingerbread man turn purple
It will only be funny to ignorant fools.
Well trump and his suppoerters will find it funny then
Ooooh...so cutting......Im devastated. If thats the best you can do, I see why the Dems will get crushed.

Oh wait, your flying the Jack, why am I even arguing with you, you guys just do what you are told. Have a great day, MAGA.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

i went a steam shop. fuck me. it was so hot. if you want upstairs can have a happy massage. it was so hot i doubt corona can survive. my god was so hot. never ever seen so hot. i could 2 mins and i am english. toul kork
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 am Life hasn't changed that much for me locally, a walk along the beach in the morning which is nicer with less people and then down to the pool midday for a swim and chat with the ever diminishing bunch of regulars. I live in a low rise condo with 4 blocks, 38 rooms in each but there is rarely more than 6 of us at the pool. Very lucky really. Was going to finally make the effort to learn my photo editing software and my laptop packed in, typical. Only complication I've got is a tooth extracted last week and I'm sure I've got a gum infection, went to hospital dentist Friday inconclusive, but hopefully my dentist is back Tuesday and will see me. Worst time possible to have this complication and certainly negatively affecting my day to day comfort.. Cant drink so even though my regular 200 yards from my door is open as it's a restaurant pub I'm not going.
ur fucking lucky, went to Kamala beach yesterday afternoon, less than 75 people on the whole beach
went this morning, not a soul in sight but the police who told me to go home, All Beaches on the island closed till April 7th

All pools public, ( hotels included) and private are closed on the island. Which by the way is closed, we are NOT allowed off the island by road or boat, (airports still open BUT to fly to bangkok you need show an international ticket out)
AND just announced the airport will close the 10th-30th>>>>
8pm-3 am curfew.
all restaurants, ( only take away allowed) cafe's, none essential business's closed, ( motorcycle repair shops open)
apx 75 hotels/resorts have posted they are closing, no idea how many gh, small hotels have already closed for lack of guests

35 years here, never seen it like this

all i have left, ( for now) are my morning bike rides
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

My wife dried the 2kg of buffalo I bought her ...
I tempered and broke down my beautiful New Zealand ribeye....I could of purchased beef from the USA, but, supported the Kiwi beef producers because I knew it was a great product....not quite as good as the USA....trimmed down and boneless...whole Ribeyes in the USA have a fat cap and often are bone in...The Kiwi product is boneless and the fat cap is removed...Upon further investigation I realized that the New Zealand butchers remove the ribs and fat cap..and cryovac them as short ribs...and boneless short ribs... I bought the Kiwi beef and saved some Dollars per kilo and used the savings to purchase Buffalo from India...Cheese from Italy and pork from the USA...I was shopping in a Malaysian owned company who employs a great deal of Khmer people in warehouses across Cambodia.
I gave my tuk tuk guy $5 for a $2 fare and in my opinion, that is how one should act during this global crisis....No politics...helping as many as I can and spreading my meager dollars around....not just sending it to fucking china.
The heat is saving Cambodia..
It is obvious the virus has been here for 4 months.
The only difference between here and Northern Italy is the temperature.
Wuhan china virus carriers work in Northern Italy in the leather goods and other factories chinese companies bought from Italian companies. To keep the Made in Italy stamp on the shoe or purse, they kept the factories in Italy and sent chinese workers.
Italy, unlike Trump led USA, kept its borders open after February 1st and allowed thousands of chinese from Wuhan to enter the country..
Chinese who could flee, who had the ccp pass were getting the hell out prior to the lock down.
The were not going to the USA....unless they were flying to mexico and paying the cartels to coyote them across the southern border....Does anyone know that chinese have become the largest illegal immigrant sneeking into the USA? Not downtrodden Latinos...... chinese...
The World is going to have a 5 minute test available soon thanks to a USA company...The 45 minute test is already available from another company..
This pandemic could have been halted had the chinese been honest in November...
I have a $1200 stimulus check hitting my USA bank in the coming weeks. I will spend it here in Siem Reap.
A huge storm cut across my state on Friday and I got an email from my Kansas rural electric company that my power was out...then restored.
I sit here wondering if the tornadoes that hit east on Saturday damaged my roof...if my buddy is ok.
My state is now in a stay at home status..
My usual spring trip back to Kansas to check on my house is in limbo... just glad I did not purchase a ticket in early February as usual...
So, I am coping better in Siem Reap than if I was back in Kansas, USA ...
If I had a tooth extraction I would of been given antibiotics by the dentist... even my guy in Sihanoukville told me to take them 3 years ago.
Here, I can run down or send my wife for amoxicillin.
In the USA, I would have to get a prescription and drive 75km round trip to the pharmacy provided my dentist phoned the prescription in without an office visit...
china has brought the world to its knees with its lies, propaganda and greed.
I am confident that the World will wake up in a few months and see the truth ...
The Olympics already cancelled...Japan spent so much time and money on this event and around the world athletes trained and spent their money for this window of opportunity to go for the gold.
china kept a neighbor just a short distance from their shores in the dark and the people of Japan and athletes around the world are paying the price.
The World needs to learn valuable lessons from the past 4 months.
Border controls, visa enforcement, health care, the vital need to produce goods at home.
The Netherlands just sent thousands of masks back to china that were defective..
Trump has been preaching border, visa, health care and made in USA for 5 years and been demonized for it.
The World better wake up and see the World War china started...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

CEO has its own virus.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Getting depressing here (Sapa, Vietnam). Until Friday, they at least let me run but now I was told I can no longer do it because I am a foreigner..... I do have a gym but running on a treadmill is mind blowingly boring.

The biggest kicker is that I cannot visit my daughter as I cannot leave Vietnam or enter Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic