Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak in Cambodia as it Happens- News and Discussion

Post by Stinkman »

Boris Johnson's government is reportedly furious with China and believes it could have 40 times more coronavirus cases than it claims
https://www.pulse.ng/bi/politics/boris- ... ve/m032n56

Chinese company shipped out millions of Australia’s masks, hand sanitiser, glove supplies
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... 25c56e7cec

The Netherlands has recalled 600,000 coronavirus face masks it imported from China after discovering they were faulty
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/th ... r-BB11Rv28

China Supplied Faulty Coronavirus Test Kits to Spain, Czech Republic
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/chi ... -republic/
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak in Cambodia as it Happens- News and Discussion

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^The Chinese are masters of bullshit. Two friends, formerly active separately in the China trade business, have stopped because they can't trust shippers from China. They have had approved products, the packing watched over by foreign buyers, substituted later. They break the seal on containers, take out the good stuff and put in substandard stuff. One friend is Chinese American, raised in the US, speaks multiple Chinese dialects and knows how to deal with them. He quit a few years ago when many shipments never showed up or the products were crap quality and multiple other problems. No trust.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:44 am ^^^The Chinese are masters of bullshit. Two friends, formerly active separately in the China trade business, have stopped because they can't trust shippers from China. They have had approved products, the packing watched over by foreign buyers, substituted later. They break the seal on containers, take out the good stuff and put in substandard stuff. One friend is Chinese American, raised in the US, speaks multiple Chinese dialects and knows how to deal with them. He quit a few years ago when many shipments never showed up or the products were crap quality and multiple other problems. No trust.
Agreed. They want the labels of trust. Sadly their culture makes a mark of merit for cheating. i am forced to this conclusion from my many dealings. I love the Chinese but their government I will oppose at any and all opportunities. Signed Mish
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Experts Doubt Low Coronavirus Counts of Some Southeast Asian Countries
By Zsombor Peter
March 29, 2020 08:22 AM

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA - Health experts say the low Covid-19 case numbers some Southeast Asian countries are reporting — some still in the single digits — have much more to do with limited testing than reality. They warn that faulty figures may breed a false sense of security and help the virus causing the deadly disease to spread.

Laos and Myanmar, which both border China, where the global coronavirus pandemic sprouted late last year, were still reporting zero cases early last week. Laos has since confirmed six cases as of Saturday. Myanmar, which borders China for more than 2,000 kilometers, has confirmed eight.

Cambodia and Vietnam, which also share close cultural and commercial ties with China, have reported 104 and 169 cases respectively, more than Laos or Myanmar but still on the low end.

"That's just a consequence of very limited testing capacity and weak surveillance, and that's just a reality," said Mark Simmerman, a private health consultant based in Thailand and a former epidemiologist for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who worked on the region's response to the SARS outbreak in 2003.

"These very small numbers are unrealistic," he said.

Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, meanwhile, each now have confirmed cases into the thousands, although even there, some health experts are complaining. In Indonesia, national Red Cross chief Jusuf Kalla has said there were likely far more infections than the country was reporting, given low levels of testing.

As of early last week, Laos had tested only 131 people. Myanmar, a country of nearly 54 million, had tested some 300. South Korea, by contrast, with about as many people as Myanmar, has tested hundreds of thousands and found more than 9,000 coronavirus cases.
"It's how hard are you looking, and how aggressively are you testing, and how thoroughly are you following up on every single case, all of their contacts," said Simmerman.

Some Southeast Asian countries were slow to acknowledge the risks.
Full article: https://www.voanews.com/science-health/ ... east-asian
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I might disagree with suspicions about Vietnam's numbers.

They slammed the border shut as soon as China reported the new disease. Then soon after (Feb. 1) blocked all flights with China. VN reacted very fast and ramped up mandatory post-flight screening, set up vast testing, set up rapid response teams (they even come to your door now, reports say), built huge new quarantine quarters and are renting out space in hotels and set up army barracks to house any suspicious passengers. They even developed quick test kits.

Last but not least, all testing, quarantines and treatments are free to Viet citizens and they are fed 3 times a day, no charge. So no need to hide due to medical costs, unlike in Thailand.

Testing and quarantine are key to reducing virus spread from the start.

They recently had upticks because they welcomed back more than 7,000 Viet students from SEA, Europe and the UK.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Here's a cross link to the potential use of anti-viral drugs if interested:

post408976.html#p408976
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:47 pm To be honest, I don't fancy travelling anywhere right now until I've had the virus and got immunity (not my first choice), there's a vaccine that I've been given or mass testing shows there is mass immunity in the community which will afford some protection.

Failing one of the above, staying put in my booze free, exercise rich 'health farm' sounds like a good plan.
The problem is, occasionally you have to get out to stock up.

Today was my day to stock up a bit, and locals were doing their usual thing, their usual way. Not much has changed here in the Northeast. Social distancing is an unknown concept. Luckily so is racism so far.
I am living with Ex #1. She is a shopaholic and does all the shopping. It is one of her pleasures in life which I don't want to deny her :twisted:
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

The number of deaths from hunger in the world will be doubling every two weeks if they don’t open the economy back by the end of April. As well as deaths by violent crime.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the above is meaning less
its not just the virus and number of dead
its the tanking of the economy
which none of these other infections / stats had any affect on

Plus abortion is not death, as to be killed, you must first have lived, ( taken ur first breath)
( i can see the reactions following this )
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Skip abortion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic