Habitual hunter, and more?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Habitual hunter, and more?

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:34 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:01 am
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:43 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 am
pczz wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 am And the point is? please show me a developed country where there are no corrupt officials enabling abuse of local rresources, whether it rattlesnake skins, ivory, chemical pollution of the environments, building on flood plains. teh only difference is it more transparent and obvious in a smaller country. in fact, most peope in Cambodia can and do bribe local officials. In the west only wealthy people get to tare up consrvations land to build golf courses on
Are there really corrupt officials in first world countries? possibly, do they keep their position long?
Do most people in Cambodia bribe local officials? Is that how they become rich?
Most is hearsay tit for tat stuff, little bits in news papers. Have you first hand or encounter in either country. In the west again it would be news, then do good action groups take stands and protests, mainly against the wealthy.
In Asia corruption in some ways, is what they see as part business, action groups here would find strong opposition. Again in both countries the wealth rules most situations, in the west you have a voice, but not here.
SternAAlbifrons is concerned about world wildlife, like most of us maybe, to stop hunting is a first step and keeping the habitat of these animals, both are a hard task when money is concerned, tread on toes in the west may see you in court, here it will more likely see you dead.
Yes, I do have first hand experienc of corrupt officials in the UK. I was made to sign a non deisclore agreement for whistleblowing on a government officer who was taking bribes. I lost my job, he kept his
I get your point and its not good to be in any sort of position around someone, or knowing of this taking place. Did the government make you sign a non disclose agreement. I have had to do the same in past contract work.

What confidentiality agreements cannot stop you from doing
Confidentiality clauses are not legally binding if they try to stop you talking to the police or a regulator about issues between you and your employer or someone at work.
An agreement may not be legally binding if you are not given reasonable time to think about the confidentiality clauses and/or to get independent legal advice.
You should always ask for a copy of the agreement, so you have a record of what has been agreed.
Confidentiality clauses cannot be used to stop whistleblowing in the public interest. Please be aware that whistleblowing law is complicated, and a solicitor can advise on each case. Protect, a charity that encourages safe whistleblowing, can also offer advice.
Andy, the agreement was signed after the regulator was involved and he just turned the other way. Corruption is endemic in the UK
I'd be less inclined to say corruption was endemic in the UK. However, if you said "bullying", and any derivatives thereof, in order to get that particular person's or organisation's way, I'd be very inclined to agree. It doesn't necessarily make what they are doing corrupt, more often than not, these people are flying (barely) within the bounds and rules that have been put in place. Often by cohorts. And it's always the "little guy" that cops the shit, like you in this example. You were never going to beat the big guy. It stinks, and I really feel for you.

Out of interest, if you cared to share, what were your alternatives? How were you made to sign an NDA? Strong-armed? Threatened? What choices were you given, what advice did you take? How did you reach your final decision to sign the NDA, because all other options were exhausted to you? Share, don't share, but it sounds like a story that could be told, all the while protecting the innocent/guilty?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I think you missed my last post where i gacve details of what happened. In every case I was offered double or more redundancy in return for withdrawing complaints and walking out the door. You cannot beat city hall
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:23 am case #1 senior purchasingofficer buying equipment on his own account and getting 10% credit he was using tobuystuff for himself
case #2 IT manager giving work toa consutant who happened to be his partner in a consulting firm with no tender. this one got me sacked and the consultnat then became a full time emplyee without even an interview or advertisingthe job
case #3 Senior governemnt staff pay grades are determined by how much their budget is in part. In March every year they spend any surplus because if they do not their budget for the next year will be redued andtheir pay will go down. In March of the year in question i was ordered to buy 20 very expensive laptops to use up thebudget. Everyone does it, its well known to the audit commission who complain annuallyand do nothing about it. the laptops were out of stock and i was told tosign off on delivery of empty boxes and they wouldbe sent later. i told the finance director to sign off himself and got sacked.
ALL thee happened whilst working for government agencies in the UK. In each case i was made an offer i coud not refuse for signing a non disclosure agreement and walking
You answered while I was asking, so thank you. No need for further. My old man was a govt employee for years, and stories he tells would make your toes curl.

Some artistic license is always healthy :beer3:
Last edited by Yerg on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:33 am
pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:34 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:01 am
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:43 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 am
Are there really corrupt officials in first world countries? possibly, do they keep their position long?
Do most people in Cambodia bribe local officials? Is that how they become rich?
Most is hearsay tit for tat stuff, little bits in news papers. Have you first hand or encounter in either country. In the west again it would be news, then do good action groups take stands and protests, mainly against the wealthy.
In Asia corruption in some ways, is what they see as part business, action groups here would find strong opposition. Again in both countries the wealth rules most situations, in the west you have a voice, but not here.
SternAAlbifrons is concerned about world wildlife, like most of us maybe, to stop hunting is a first step and keeping the habitat of these animals, both are a hard task when money is concerned, tread on toes in the west may see you in court, here it will more likely see you dead.
Yes, I do have first hand experienc of corrupt officials in the UK. I was made to sign a non deisclore agreement for whistleblowing on a government officer who was taking bribes. I lost my job, he kept his
I get your point and its not good to be in any sort of position around someone, or knowing of this taking place. Did the government make you sign a non disclose agreement. I have had to do the same in past contract work.

What confidentiality agreements cannot stop you from doing
Confidentiality clauses are not legally binding if they try to stop you talking to the police or a regulator about issues between you and your employer or someone at work.
An agreement may not be legally binding if you are not given reasonable time to think about the confidentiality clauses and/or to get independent legal advice.
You should always ask for a copy of the agreement, so you have a record of what has been agreed.
Confidentiality clauses cannot be used to stop whistleblowing in the public interest. Please be aware that whistleblowing law is complicated, and a solicitor can advise on each case. Protect, a charity that encourages safe whistleblowing, can also offer advice.
Andy, the agreement was signed after the regulator was involved and he just turned the other way. Corruption is endemic in the UK
I'd be less inclined to say corruption was endemic in the UK. However, if you said "bullying", and any derivatives thereof, in order to get that particular person's or organisation's way, I'd be very inclined to agree. It doesn't necessarily make what they are doing corrupt, more often than not, these people are flying (barely) within the bounds and rules that have been put in place. Often by cohorts. And it's always the "little guy" that cops the shit, like you in this example. You were never going to beat the big guy. It stinks, and I really feel for you.

Out of interest, if you cared to share, what were your alternatives? How were you made to sign an NDA? Strong-armed? Threatened? What choices were you given, what advice did you take? How did you reach your final decision to sign the NDA, because all other options were exhausted to you? Share, don't share, but it sounds like a story that could be told, all the while protecting the innocent/guilty?
I think you missed my last post where i gacve details of what happened. In every case I was offered double or more redundancy in return for withdrawing complaints and walking out the door. You cannot beat city hall
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:38 am
pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:23 am case #1 senior purchasingofficer buying equipment on his own account and getting 10% credit he was using tobuystuff for himself
case #2 IT manager giving work toa consutant who happened to be his partner in a consulting firm with no tender. this one got me sacked and the consultnat then became a full time emplyee without even an interview or advertisingthe job
case #3 Senior governemnt staff pay grades are determined by how much their budget is in part. In March every year they spend any surplus because if they do not their budget for the next year will be redued andtheir pay will go down. In March of the year in question i was ordered to buy 20 very expensive laptops to use up thebudget. Everyone does it, its well known to the audit commission who complain annuallyand do nothing about it. the laptops were out of stock and i was told tosign off on delivery of empty boxes and they wouldbe sent later. i told the finance director to sign off himself and got sacked.
ALL thee happened whilst working for government agencies in the UK. In each case i was made an offer i coud not refuse for signing a non disclosure agreement and walking
You answered while I was asking, so thank you. No need for further. My old man was a govt employee for years, and stories he tells would make your toes curl.
Yes well the police are even worse. One of my co-workers was going out with a copper. When we went to clubs he breezed in for free and got drinks for free. On shift they parked up inMacdonalds and had free burgers. he was very psidded off when he flashed his card ina lap dncing place and they made him pay
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:40 am
Yerg wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:38 am
Yes well the police are even worse. One of my co-workers was going out with a copper. When we went to clubs he breezed in for free and got drinks for free. On shift they parked up inMacdonalds and had free burgers. he was very psidded off when he flashed his card ina lap dncing place and they made him pay
Despite the fear of raising your ire, I wouldn't tar all govt employees and coppers with the same brush. I'm reasonably sure that my relatives who are coppers and govt employees would be pissed to discover that they may be equally besmirched. Every barrel has a bad apple, sadly that is life. I've seen people in my own industry perform grotesque wrongs and get away with it, when smaller indiscretions get punished unfairly. I've only ever signed one NDA in my life, and with hindsight, I wish I hadn't. It doesn't make you or me wrong or right, just the decisions we made at the time for the reasons we only knew then. It doesn't seem to have hampered you longer term. Leave yesterday where it is, focus on the things you can change, not the things you can't. :hattip:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes I missed these, but this is how things are in government and councils, and many business too, I understand and agree with what your saying and its not seen as right. But it is a long way off corruption what we talk of the countries of Asia. Did you class your pay off has corrupt? I would not because it is not. My mother was of the old school council home helps, now council cutbacks, about 5 years before her retirement she had to go from full time work to part time saving jobs for others who had possibly not worked there long, ether way she now only received half money and her pension would be effected.
On the other hand my work contracts materialised with large UK companies spending their budgets before the new tax year.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:11 am
Yes I missed these, but this is how things are in government and councils, and many business too, I understand and agree with what your saying and its not seen as right. But it is a long way off corruption what we talk of the countries of Asia. Did you class your pay off has corrupt? I would not because it is not. My mother was of the old school council home helps, now council cutbacks, about 5 years before her retirement she had to go from full time work to part time saving jobs for others who had possibly not worked there long, ether way she now only received half money and her pension would be effected.
On the other hand my work contracts materialised with large UK companies spending their budgets before the new tax year.
I agree AndyKK. It is common practice to spend unused budget in business to at least guarantee no less in the next fiscal year. I think pczz was pointing more to the signing for empty boxes as an example, more than the spending of the budget itself. That's pretty cranky, and I'd certainly not (in my later years) be party to that. It isn't necessarily"corruption" but it is wrong on many, many levels.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic