Dermatologist For Acne Problem?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Dermatologist For Acne Problem?

Post by Marty »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:15 pm I certainly never said anything about anyone drinking sugary drinks or fruit, and the question I asked has nothing to do with sugary drinks or fruit, and I didn't mention being a teenager, so who or what exactly were you giving advice to? Exercise every day is good advice too. That doesn't mean I should go to a thread where someone is asking for advice about cheap apartments available because they lost their house and they're out of work and say "I bet you lost your job because you're just young, stupid, and lazy. You need to start running every day." Would you consider that "good advice" too?
Duncan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:59 pm I bet your friend is in the 16 to 22 year old range and drinks all those sugary drinks. Tell her to change her diet to more fruit and less junk food.
You're trying to say this is you "giving good advice" when someone asks about a doctor to help with a medical skin issue that an adult has struggled with for years? If you were actually going to give Good advice, you would Ask about my friend, not say "I Bet.... Tell her to stop..."

Edit: It just occurred to me that you might just be one of those grumpy old 75+yr olds who automatically assume everyone is some damn kid doing stupid things. If that's the case, I sort of take back calling you an ass. It was still an ass thing to say, but it's more understandable coming from some old grumpy bastard who hates anyone under 55 and considers them a stupid kid.
Note that he never disputed that he is 75+ years old.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

With traveling a bit of a no-no, this Doc on Youtube has a lot of decent advice on a variety of common ailments;

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:42 pm I have a friend looking for a dermatologist. Does anyone know of one in Cambodia that could help with acne issues? Siem Reap would be Great, but she has said she's willing to go to Phnom Penh if need be.
I can't directly comment on acne, but I and a friend of mine have had a very good experience with dermatologist Dr. Mey Sithach (trained in Germany) in Phnom Penh.
Last edited by yongchi on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Duncan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm
Apexisto wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:15 pm First have the basics down:

1) Avoid sugar
2) Eat pure food from natural sources: meat, vegetables, fruits
3) Use coconut-oil and lots of garlic
4) Use foods with good fats like eggs, avocados, meat
5) Go get some sun, don't be an idiot who is afraid of light, get some great sun tan and it does miracles to your skin.
6) Keep your mind free from worry and anxiety.
7) Since in Cambodia, get some happy pizzas and some happy ingredients to your diet or just smoke because it's a great cure for skin problems too.

After all these steps, please consult the doctors but I can almost see that after 3- 6 months acne feels like a vague dream.
Apexisto, Welcome to the asshat club . Some people don't want your advice or my advice , It's so much easier to abuse everyone than learn of the simple facts that can cause acne and skin problems.
The problem is, Duncan, that you just wandered into the thread and assumed shit and told people what do before you even asked any questions to find out the best possible way to help.
Duncan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:59 pm I bet your friend is in the 16 to 22 year old range and drinks all those sugary drinks. Tell her to change her diet to more fruit and less junk food.
If you had maybe asked a question like, "Is your friend young with a poor diet?" then your question may have been received better than your holier than thou attitude that you strolled in here with. For all you know the person in question may have tried many home remedies already and is now seeking professional help, but you didn't bother to find that out, bub.

:thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

I struggled with having bad, cystic acne into my adulthood. I tried every natural "homeopathic" treatment there was, as well as going to a dermatologist several times for prescriptions that never worked. I had pretty much given up and then I saw an add for ProActive. It's the only thing I've found that works. I use the generic version and it's inexpensive. Not sure if they sell an equivalent in Cambodia, as I always stock up when I'm visiting home in the States. It works really well. Good luck to your friend.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Gator wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:43 pm I struggled with having bad, cystic acne into my adulthood. I tried every natural "homeopathic" treatment there was...
Pretty much the exact same for her, except she said she never even had acne problems until she hit adulthood. She started getting cystic acne in her early 20s. She's currently on something prescribed by a dermatologist in the U.S., but it's getting worse lately. It sounds like she's tried a lot, including OTC, prescribed meds, diet changes, etc, but said she hasn't tried proactive(yet), and is going to look into it, and availability in Cambodia.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I passed along the info about the dermatologists. : )
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:03 pm
Electric Earth wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:32 pm Some people struggle with acne in their adult years. Try not to be too much of an ass.

Offering good advice about eating more fruit and less sugary drinks is NOT being an ass . The ass is in not accepting the facts of the message and preferring to attack the messenger.
well it depends on whether or not the sugary drinks and fruit will help. That has been rubbished for years. Most acne is caused by hormalissues,skin issues and , inmy case, bacterial infectin. Cannot remember whatthe tablet was, metronidaxole maybe, 10 mg daily for 3 months and I still didnt eat fruit and did drink coke :stir:
NoisyBird
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by NoisyBird »

Hi,

As far as I know, unfortunately, Dr Salle de Chou returned back to France last summer. As for Dr Mey Sithach, he owns a cambodian style medical establishment. Although he has reportedly been trained in Germany, when my girlfriend visited him, she was welcomed by his wife, who is supposed to be a gynecologist. His wife prescribed my girlfriend a set of pills in different shapes and colors that she gave her in a transparent plastic bag and to come back when she will have finished the medication. I asked her to tell us at least which type of medication it is exactly, she politely refused. So I would definitely not recommend to pay a visit to Dr Sithach clinic. Apparently, it is a common practice here in Cambodia to give the patient unlabeled medication and ask her/him to come back again. So, this happened two years ago, and that decided us to visit Dr Salle de Chou, who operates as a classic occidental doctor, she gives prescription of precisely named medications that we are free to buy where we want.

But I guess, if we need to see another dermatologist, we will maybe try this one:
https://european-medicare.com/our-servi ... ultations/
This doctor is Khmer, but the website indicates that he has been trained in France, so I expect him to proceed the french way. The medical center where he works is run by french folks.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Since the original post, I have visited Dr. Sithach again.

I was given a written diagnosis and a written prescription to be filled wherever I pleased.
Despite being extremely busy, he explained what he prescribed and why.

On a different occasion, he did give me an ointment to be applied after a medical procedure. The ointment came in its original packaging, with all ingredients listed.

I have never consulted his wife, so can’t comment on her.

I too would not take nor apply any medication of unknown origin/with unknown ingredients.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

sorry I sint have a contact for a dermatologist but I am sure there must be one at all of the major hospitals. Raffles clinic used to have one when they were SOS but not sure if they still do.

One thing I have regularly seen causing severe and long running problems is the use of so called skin whitening products. I would advise your friend to suspend use of these if she happens to be using
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic