Prayut losing his grip!

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Prayut losing his grip!

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm
fazur wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am was in thailand when redshirts were going a bit buffalo don't remember any farang being targeted.leave? why?
The problem arises when your neighborhood is under military curfew and you are unable to go out to buy drinking water, beer, cigarettes, food, etc. without risking getting shot by a sniper.

Or, a stray bullet happens to encounter your skull while opposing factions are battling for control of the area.

Or, you can't get out because the airport is blockaded.

Or, your savings in baht become nearly worthless because the currency has crashed.

Of course, if you live upcountry, you may not be significantly affected but if the military takes over again and people revolt, then you'll be living in a completely lawless country.
I was in Jakarta during the overthrow of the Soehoerto regime, you really dont have a clue. :bow:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I saw a couple of coups in Bangkok back in the day. It wa a bloody nuisance because Patpong and the Grace Hotel were closed but it was easy to drive around in the daytime with tanks on the corners and no other traffic. Soldiers had a laugh at falungs driving around. Peter Davis was killed in a coup when I wasn’t there. Richochet.
I arrived at the airport the evening of that occupation and it was a bit confronting. I walked past a pickup with lots of weapons in the tray. Sticks, spears and assorted golf clubs.
I eventually caught the bus out though Trat with a lot of other reffos.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm
fazur wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am was in thailand when redshirts were going a bit buffalo don't remember any farang being targeted.leave? why?
The problem arises when your neighborhood is under military curfew and you are unable to go out to buy drinking water, beer, cigarettes, food, etc. without risking getting shot by a sniper.

Or, a stray bullet happens to encounter your skull while opposing factions are battling for control of the area.

Or, you can't get out because the airport is blockaded.

Or, your savings in baht become nearly worthless because the currency has crashed.

Of course, if you live upcountry, you may not be significantly affected but if the military takes over again and people revolt, then you'll be living in a completely lawless country.
was in thailand when this excrement wa sgoing down. shopping mall totally normal, one mile away, thais killing each other. don't recall on efarang getting killed due to politics. money, yes
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

These student demonstrations will hopefully continue. A lot will depend on what the international media does the first time there is a physical confrontation and casualties.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

willyhilly wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:57 pm Peter Davis was killed in a coup when I wasn’t there. Richochet.
Do you mean Neil Davis, Willy?
NO foreign correspondent got so down and dirty and close-up on the frontline in Vietnam - he stuck with the troops of SVN all through.

This seminar by foreign correspondents in Thailand in 2015 is a fascinating study on this coup generally, the actions of those reporting it - and the deaths of Neil Davis and Bill Latch in particular.
Their deaths are documented by their own cameras, and others, starting at about 25,50 mins.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

This very good biography of Neil Davis was written by Tim Bowden:

Link: https://www.timbowden.com.au/books/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic