Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by newkidontheblock »

Mr Know It All wrote:hearing from a second provider of goods we use in phnom penh that get shipped to Kampot that the borders between provinces may be closing?
anyone else hear this?
Some villages aren’t waiting for the Province or Sangkat or Commune to close their borders.

Anyone who isn’t a local villager is a foreigner. Doesn’t matter if you are Khmer or not.

And stopping outsiders with gate blocking the road.

Everyone be safe out there.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arget wrote:He was arrested and sent to Phnom Penh on Thursday after announcing to offer online English classes...

“I asked for an arrest warrant but he said that he is the prosecutor. He confiscated three phones which belong to me and my parents. Then, he wrote a letter regarding the confiscation.

“He said if I do not allow him to check the house, he would further sue my family as he had already had an arrest warrant,” she said....

The ministry’s annoucement said: “Teaching extra classes is banned in the period of fighting against Covid-19 infections. The ministry will take action against offenders.”
I think this deserves a separate thread. This isn’t really directly related to the coronavirus.

ACE will be starting the next term with on-line classes starting on Wednesday. No official notice of shut down yet.

I found it interesting that the prosecutor was able to write his own search warrant on the scene and then further write his own arrest warrant, also on location.

Could a lawyer (or wanna be one) enlighten me on the Cambodian legal code? I always thought that judges had to write orders for searches and arrest warrants? Or at least had to sign and approve them.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

food prices going crazy as fresh produce not going to market

problem is when corona is finished greed will keep prices up
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:00 am
Arget wrote:He was arrested and sent to Phnom Penh on Thursday after announcing to offer online English classes...

“I asked for an arrest warrant but he said that he is the prosecutor. He confiscated three phones which belong to me and my parents. Then, he wrote a letter regarding the confiscation.

“He said if I do not allow him to check the house, he would further sue my family as he had already had an arrest warrant,” she said....

The ministry’s annoucement said: “Teaching extra classes is banned in the period of fighting against Covid-19 infections. The ministry will take action against offenders.”
I think this deserves a separate thread. This isn’t really directly related to the coronavirus.

ACE will be starting the next term with on-line classes starting on Wednesday. No official notice of shut down yet.

I found it interesting that the prosecutor was able to write his own search warrant on the scene and then further write his own arrest warrant, also on location.

Could a lawyer (or wanna be one) enlighten me on the Cambodian legal code? I always thought that judges had to write orders for searches and arrest warrants? Or at least had to sign and approve them.
In the Kingdum of Wonder , he probably is the Judge as well.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

At least Cambodia is civilised enough for the judge not needing to be an executioner too.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Dr Didier Raoult, one of the first to publish some results regarding successful Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycine treatment, has now submitted an additional study, this time with 80 patients duplicating the results.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/ ... HU-2-1.pdf
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:54 am Dr Didier Raoult, one of the first to publish some results regarding successful Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycine treatment, has now submitted an additional study, this time with 80 patients duplicating the results.

An extract. Looks very promising.
Abstract

We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 year-old patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold.
:thumb:
bdv
Tourist
American Samoa

Post by bdv »

340 in Siem Reap had indirect contact with French tour group infected with COVID-19

The Ministry of Health has confirmed that its officials have tracked down 340 people who had indirect contact with a French tourist, most of whom are now infected with COVID-19.
The group have been quarantined at Sihanoukville.

32 French nationals from the group have been tested positive for COVID-19 while three Cambodians, bus drivers and a tour guide were also infected. One of the infected is in Siem Reap province.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health stated that the 340 people were under the supervision of Siem Reap Provincial Health Department over time 14 days.

Thirty-two French tourists were found to have COVID-19 by the Cambodian Ministry of Health when they visited Sihanoukville.

Efforts to track down others who may have been come into contact with the group are ongoing in Battambang, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50706764/3 ... -covid-19/
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:54 am Dr Didier Raoult, one of the first to publish some results regarding successful Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycine treatment, has now submitted an additional study, this time with 80 patients duplicating the results.

An extract. Looks very promising.
Abstract

We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 year-old patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold.
:thumb:

Another important note is the patients' rapid recovery and discharge, which means freeing up valuable ICU and ventilator time:
Length of stay in the ID ward
Of the 65 patients who were discharged from the ID ward during the study period, the mean time from initiation to discharge was 4.1 days with a mean length of stay of 4.6 days.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Latest official figures today, 28 March 2020:
COVID-19: Four More Infection Cases and Two Recovered Cases Reported
AKP Phnom Penh, March 28, 2020 --

Cambodia has confirmed four new cases of COVID-19 infection and two recovered cases, said the Ministry of Health in a press release this morning.

The four new reported cases were found in Phnom Penh on a Cambodian couple aged 62 and 61 years old, and their children aged 39 and 37 years old. They have came back from France. They have now been hospitalised at Chak Angre Krom Health Centre.

The two recovered cases are a 64-year-old man in Phnom Penh and a 41-year-old man in Banteay Meanchey province.

As of this morning, there are in total 102 COVID-19 patients in Cambodia, including 42 Cambodians, 36 French, 12 Malaysians, 5 British, 2 Americans, 2 Indonesian, one Canadian, one Belgian, and one Chinese. Of them, 13 have recovered.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/28766
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic