Live in Helper in Phnom Penh Sen Sok

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Live in Helper in Phnom Penh Sen Sok

Post by Element6 »

I am not sure if it is the case with your neighbor but when I have heard of such cases where people seem to be hired for such low wages there has always been a back story - eg they are part of the extended family, they are part of the extended family and there is a family debt, the renter has or is paying schooling for other relatives connected to this one, etc. I have not found a case where 2 people completely unknown and unconnected to each other have agreed a working wage at this level.

I presume there is also very little upside available in terms of overtime. A lot of garment workers are paid minimum wage (plus allowances) then work overtime every day and weekends (in the less scrupulous companies Saturdays AND Sundays) having them walk out with a salary over $300 per month. Whilst to us that may seem abhorrent, many i have spoken to say it is better to work OT as then they are not out spending money, they are in a safe environment and they get food. A very different perspective than mine but their main motivation is very different than mine.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Live in Helper in Phnom Penh Sen Sok

Post by khmerhamster »

Element6 wrote:I am not sure if it is the case with your neighbor but when I have heard of such cases where people seem to be hired for such low wages there has always been a back story - eg they are part of the extended family, they are part of the extended family and there is a family debt, the renter has or is paying schooling for other relatives connected to this one, etc. I have not found a case where 2 people completely unknown and unconnected to each other have agreed a working wage at this level.

I presume there is also very little upside available in terms of overtime. A lot of garment workers are paid minimum wage (plus allowances) then work overtime every day and weekends (in the less scrupulous companies Saturdays AND Sundays) having them walk out with a salary over $300 per month. Whilst to us that may seem abhorrent, many i have spoken to say it is better to work OT as then they are not out spending money, they are in a safe environment and they get food. A very different perspective than mine but their main motivation is very different than mine.
Yes, this is true.
And about half the population seems to supplement their income with a second casual job of selling stuff send from province or selling crap online.
I don't think the nice Western living conditions will be seen as much of a positive.
We def see it as a perk but many Khmer folk are content in the 1 room sharing arrangement. My staff cannot see fringe benefits, they only are interested in ប្រាក់ខែងាប់ -​ ie how much money they get in their hand (account) at the end of the month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic