Takeo Tales- A Perfect Accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Takeo Tales- A Perfect Accident

Post by takeoman »

Sorry folks no graphic photos of blood splattered victims.
Takeo Town is a sleepy place,whose broad main roads,unlike those in Phnom Penh, are lightly used. A few years ago I was proceeding down one of these boulevards, en route to the newly opened Canadia atm. Some distance in front of me an aging moto, carrying a family of four, was dawdling along,as the mother surveyed the shops. Approaching in the opposite lane was a gleaming new Dream, ridden by three students.
What followed unfolded almost in slow motion. Simultaneously the bikes executed a partial left turn, and embarked on the long forty five degree move across lanes so beloved of Khmers. As they closed with each other it was obvious they were on a collision course. Who would swerve first? The answer no one!
The two front wheels collided, the bikes recoiled and fell on their sides, spilling passengers onto the road. The father was unfortunate as the bike fell on his leg, everyone else was almost immediately on their feet. The mother, ignoring her spouse's groans of pain, dashed for the Dream and made a grab for it's key. One of the students was a little faster and a struggle ensued. A crowd had by now assembled, and those not taking pictures hastened to join in the finger pointing.
The arrival of a couple of Takeo Town's finest brought some order to the scene. Father was extracted from under his bike, bruised and complaining loudly. Chalk outlines were drawn, consultations took place, finally a decision was reached;- both parties were to blame. In view of this the police were impounding both bikes till appropriate fines were agreed on, and paid.
All in all the perfect accident, totally avoidable, no major injuries, and a profitable day for the guardians of law and order.
:hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Takeo Tales- A Perfect Accident

Post by frank lee bent »

an instructive outcome.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I sometime see similar accidents and were resolved in that manner. Khmers in general want to avoid the court involvement like the plague, which is good I think. But I can not say the same for the corrupted Khmer elites.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Nice story!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote:an instructive outcome.

Or an outstructive income.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yeah, like an egg slowly rolling off the kitchen table when you can't stop it and you know it will go SPLAT.
Inevitable: :shock:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:an instructive outcome.
Or an outstructive income.
Oh, well done sir, well done!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Here's my perfect accident, I originally posted it a few years back on another forum, under a different handle. It's almost all true:

Yesterday I was walking up 242 between 51 and Norodom, a paved side street, when I witnessed an accident. A big black Lexus SUV was parked near the middle of the street, well more than a metre from the curb, facing against traffic, completely blocking the right side of the road. Another big black Lexus car with was racing up the street, doing at least 40kph and, without slowing, began to swerve left to go around the parked Lexus SUV blocking his lane. Coming up on the left side of the car was a speeding motorcycle ridden by a pair of freshie boys, trying to pass the car while it was passing the SUV, squeezing along the small space between the car and the left curb. Just then, right in front of me, the gate to a villa on the left side of the road opened and another motorcycle containing three teenage boys came flying out blindly, directly into the path of the motorcycle and oncoming car which were now speeding down the wrong side of the street side by side. Unable to move right for the car in the way, the passing motorcycle swerved left, clipping the curb and sending its passengers tumbling down the sidewalk, missing me by a couple of feet. The motorcycle that had come out of the villa tried accelerating to escape the oncoming vehicles. He just avoided the now crashing motorcycle but was t-boned by the car. The passengers skidded down the pavement while the driver flew a good 5 metres through the air, landing on the hood of the parked SUV, shattering the windscreen. The car became hung up on the motorcycle and couldn't move. A couple of safari-suited types, apparently bodyguards from the parked SUV, came running out of the villa on the other side of the street and began to beat and slap the moaning motorcycle driver who was laying on the hood of their SUV. In the commotion, a dog charged out of the gate from which the motorcycle had come and latched onto the leg of one of the bodyguards who began screaming like a little girl. As I walked on, all were alive and conscious, rolling around on the ground moaning, whimpering and screaming over their various injuries and affronts. And I felt a certain sense or satisfaction over the whole thing, though I doubt any lessons will be learned.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Good story Forpo :D. As of current, a lot of unknown money is pouring into Siem Reap -- better watch for those those little punks driving Range Rover and other luxury 4WD vehicles who cannot drive for shit. Dont want to make potty feel jealous or anything, 2015 Roll Royce already pre-order as we speak.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I often also wonder if stupid drivers learn from close calls or accidents. I often think they don't. What I don't understand is how someone driving with their wife and kids can be so careless. Sure, it becomes a habit, but I like to think I'd be extra careful if I had my kid along with me.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic