Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

Post by Electric Earth »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 am Nice CV, imho. Personally, for starters, everywhere it says 'XXXX and bartender,' I would just delete the 'bartender', as the last thing I'd be looking for in an English teacher is to be reminded that they used to work in a bar serving drinks. 'Manager' and 'server' would have been just fine. But really, I think that's a good looking CV. You're probably already towards the top of the stack of CVs sitting on a director's desk because you have a Cambridge CELTA.
Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about the bartender thing too. My thought is that being a Good bartender at a busy bar is actually harder work than managing. But you're right, most people probably just think of slinging drinks across a shitty bar on pub street.

And unfortunately because I'm not a young, cute, white female, the CELTA degree simply gets me a job(hopefully). I doesn't put me at the top of the list. The young white females get the jobs on the spot when they turn in the C.V. Sexism and racism is alive and well most everywhere in the world, but is particularly open and flourishing in the Cambodian English teaching world. The schools think that having those teachers looks better to parents and gets more students. It sucks for me, but I get why they do it. What can ya do...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Have you lost your job due to Carona Virus? Need a CV?

Post by pczz »

monomial wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:14 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm I normally charge quite a bit more, this is a very special offer for this horrible situation.

It may be a special deal for you, but I think it is still way too expensive and taking advantage of people. I paid a Bangaldeshi $10 on Fiverr a while back to do mine. Did a great job in my opinion. $50 for a resume is spendy, but some people might do it. Taking advantage of a serious epidemic to try and sell your services may be morally questionable though.

How about donating your services to those affected? I'm sure we would all congratulate you for that...
Just out of interest, what superjob did you get for your $25. I spent 8 years doing recruitment for a large local authority in the UK. IMHO any manager who has to pay someone to dotheir CV is probably better of applying for junior jobs. the people whoreally nee it are the people at the bottom of the pile (wage wise) and older persons who have no experience of doing cv's. Cambodian CV's are like the ones I used to see 40 years ago and totaly unsuited for the modern worls, especially if applying in a developed country where, in all probability, it will be read by Artificial Stupidity systems long before it gets seen by a human and onlypeople who know how these dumbass programs work can get you far enough through the system to get your application on a real persons desk
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CV's scare the ship out me, more than CoronaVirus - and the whole normal job application process.
ALL of my jobs have come from personal leads and recommendations.
I just "put it out there" and follow every lead i can find.

"Yes, I can do that, in fact i am the perfect man for the job"
in a much more confident tone than i often actually feel, works like magic.
Rarely get interrogated too much about past work history after that.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Puzz thank you for your feedback but I completely disagree with you.

Not everyone is a skilled writer - lots of people do an exceptional job but can’t write about it. For example - financial people such as accountants are great with numbers but their CVs are usually difficult to read.

A lot of my clients are not native English speakers and that certainly doesn’t make them stupid, nor should it disqualify them from applying.

I’ve written CVs for every job you can possibly imagine from any industry you can name. The key is to create a “paper portrait” of the applicant that can be read in less than two minutes and provides employers with all the key details they need.

I’ve been writing CVs for ten years and am VERY good at it. There is a psychology to a great CV, it’s not just throwing down some words on paper and the feedback from my clients speaks for itself.
http://www.resumesetc.com.au/2015/10/11 ... this-list/

I’m going to bow out from this post and focus on being part of the solution. The offer is there, stay safe everyone!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

To the lovely person who emailed me, voicing their displeasure at my offer.
There’s no need to insult my personal appearance.
I’ve forwarded the email to admin.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm To the lovely person who emailed me, voicing their displeasure at my offer.
There’s no need to insult my personal appearance.
I’ve forwarded the email to admin.
Name and shame this tool.............. no need for that ilk on CEO.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Whilst were here.....

.......many HR departments utilize key-word scanning software before a CV even gets to human eyes.

The software looks for key words involving applicable skills, experience, abilities, education, etc.

So, having a talented CV writer, like Rozz, who is aware of this can be of immense help in getting your CV through the gauntlet and into the right hands.

Worth the cost imo.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Half price for expats.

Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Is that also half off on seek and Indeed too? Thank you. And how much would you charge to proofread a book? Thank you again.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry if this is "commercial in confidence", Roz
but how is it going? any takers?

ps, good move, good luck. As you are for sure already aware, there will be heaps of people changing jobs right now, to the many new jobs related to handling this crises.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic