mask up!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: mask up!

Post by phuketrichard »

wear one or not ,it wont help you, but might make others "think" its safer

but this one might

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Many are missing the point. If locals are wearing masks and expats aren't then the locals are asking why the expats not joining in the fight.

Perception is everything!!!

I for one will always wear a mask in any public place like supermarkets.

Its a sign l am in this fight and trying to play my part!!!!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Whether masks work or not is a moot point in Vietnam; it is compulsory.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

You wear a mask in order to keep your germs to yourself. It even works when you have a symptomless infection like Conivid-19!

Also, more people wearing masks means fewer people catching colds, flu, etc, which means fewer hospitalisations, which means less strain on medical facilities.
Scarier than malaria.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

According to my Khmer sources, the anger towards people because of this virus is not with the Barang. Their anger is pointed at the Chinese and Muslim population.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Just saw an Asian dude driving in his car, alone, with a mask on, not taking any chances. (small town NZ)
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

If I have to put on a mask to avoid being harassed or beaten up by uneducated locals, then I suppose I will, but thankfully, where I am, that is not the case yet. Here, it is mostly hotel workers, taxi drivers, and store employees wearing them, which makes sense, since they are in close contact with hundreds, or even thousands of people every day. Those who are sick should wear one if they must go out in public, but a much better solution would be for those people to simply not leave the house, if at all possible.
The idea of showing “solidarity with the locals” is a happy thought, but I don’t think we should forget that many of these people still believe that evil spirits cause illnesses, and visit faith healers rather than a real doctor when they have serious medical problems. The idea of giving into ignorance to placate people who don’t understand the science bothers me, but at the end of the day it’s their country, and I understand that they aren’t going to have foreigners telling them how to go about their business. I just wish that there was more effort from government to explain the facts, rather than letting what amounts to superstition dictate how we approach this problem. If people were told by the monks that wearing a red Buddha bracelet around their neck would keep the virus out of their throat, then I expect many locals (and probably some foreigners) would be doing that too.
For now I will stick to the WHO guidelines, and not wear my mask unless I become sick, or am forced to through social pressure. My belief is that herd immunity is the only realistic way forward, and that much of the world is probably closer to that stage than we realize at this point in time.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Official advice: Wash your hands, maintain 2m social distance, sneeze into a tissue.
Me: What if I strap a tissue to my face?
Officials: Complete waste of time, don't bother.
Scarier than malaria.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Cooldude wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 pm According to my Khmer sources, the anger towards people because of this virus is not with the Barang. Their anger is pointed at the Chinese and Muslim population.
A woman on the street in Thailand told me yesterday that this is all Iran’s fault. Based on what? I don’t know.
This is the part I find most disappointing about the response to this crisis: That people around the world seem to feel the need to point fingers at one country or another, for what is a natural human problem.
It’s quite interesting to watch the reaction when the shoe is put on the other foot, and suddenly they are the ones being pointed at.

I will add that everyone here in Thailand has been treating me very well, and that they seem extra appreciative to have a customer walk through the door. No hostility whatsoever, so far.
Also, I’ve noticed very few people working in the small restaurants wearing a mask while serving me, and they don’t seem afraid of me either.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@General Mackevili, I think it's time we got one of these >>> 😷
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic