Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

Post by WildA »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:58 am
WildA wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm "My Chant:
No one likes us, no one likes us,
No one likes us, we don't care,
We are Yankees, fucking Yankees,
Fat rich Yankees, from the States...."

whatever...
Thats what my kid used to say when she was a pre teen.
lol
When you tried to teach her your chant?
No when she lost an argument and had nothing intelligent to say.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

WildA wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:08 am
bong.kuit wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
WildA wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:42 am rule of law as an American understands it (which is the most advanced rule of law concept in the world)
Do you have any proof or source for that statement or is it just a patriotic sentiment?
Sure would you like to clutter up this topic with a lesson We can start with the foundations of American lawso you have a background. Let me know. Im at home waiting for X bar to reopen
I'm all ears.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm Like it or not, sometimes a good whack will change a persons behaviour.
Not according to a simple check on google.
The claim that corporal punishment is an especially effective deterrent has been refuted by empirical evidence, however, which shows that offenders who are punished by corporal means are actually slightly more likely to commit further crimes than are those punished by imprisonment.
And more here https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... duce-crime
I'd call back to life experience over a google result, I've had a whack before and seen a few dished out. stats and studies don't often get the reality of it opposed to when it's live and direct.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm Like it or not, sometimes a good whack will change a persons behaviour.
The claim that corporal punishment is an especially effective deterrent has been refuted by empirical evidence, however, which shows that offenders who are punished by corporal means are actually slightly more likely to commit further crimes than are those punished by imprisonment.
I'd call back to life experience over a google result, I've had a whack before and seen a few dished out. stats and studies don't often get the reality of it opposed to when it's live and direct.
It’s hardly just a “google result” though is it?
All the literature, quite clearly, points to corporal punishment being ineffective.
What you are actually saying is that you believe your anecdotal evidence somehow trumps the clinical studies.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

bong.kuit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 pm
WildA wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:42 am rule of law as an American understands it (which is the most advanced rule of law concept in the world)
Do you have any proof or source for that statement or is it just a patriotic sentiment?
Sure would you like to clutter up this topic with a lesson We can start with the foundations of American lawso you have a background. Let me know. Im at home waiting for X bar to reopen
I'm all ears.
Cool. Lets start with this. Afteryou are done, we can begin the lecture/
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_men ... kstone.asp

O yes thats old english so the ff you see is really an s.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

WildA wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 pm
I'm all ears.

Well, it seems that you are unfortunately evading the discussion, and I asked so politely. :(

I researched a bit, though, as it actually interested me, and it seems to be pretty much consensus that the judicial system in the USA is nowhere near the top, as can be seen by incarceration rate, compliance etc, which are some of the ways of trying to get a "rank". The Scandinavian systems, as well as the English or Welsh, seem to be favoured by most scholars/researchers.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

bong.kuit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 am
WildA wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 pm

I'm all ears.

Well, it seems that you are unfortunately evading the discussion, and I asked so politely. :(

I researched a bit, though, as it actually interested me, and it seems to be pretty much consensus that the judicial system in the USA is nowhere near the top, as can be seen by incarceration rate, compliance etc, which are some of the ways of trying to get a "rank". The Scandinavian systems, as well as the English or Welsh, seem to be favoured by most scholars/researchers.
Academics have to publish. Whatever they publish has no bearing on the philosophical matter of which I speak.

But hey I saw a "favoured", so Ill assume English. Lets discuss your written constitution...ooops.....your freedomof speech....oooops. Et seq.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

I'll take being thought of as English as a compliment. I'm a non-native speaker that learned British English in school a few decades ago. And no, also not from Scandinavia.

Anyway, I'll rest my case, as you don't have much to say besides lame ad hominems, childish nationalism, and pathetic arrogance. Such attitude makes it also pretty obvious that you have never read a single page of Pynchon (who you misquoted btw), let alone philosophy.

Peace out, bro.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 pm
All the literature, quite clearly, points to corporal punishment being ineffective.
What you are actually saying is that you believe your anecdotal evidence somehow trumps the clinical studies.
My original post stated sometimes mate, my call back to personal experience was regarding sometimes, if you wish to misinterpret what I say and summarise my words incorrectly then I have nothing else to say on the matter lol.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm
IraHayes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 pm
My original post stated sometimes mate, my call back to personal experience was regarding sometimes, if you wish to misinterpret what I say and summarise my words incorrectly then I have nothing else to say on the matter lol.
Seriously? The timeline, as is evident in the quotes above, clearly shows I was responding to your claim of "sometimes". It was this I was taking umbrage with as the evidence is very clear. It never works.

your reply was to dismiss "stats and studies" as they somehow don't relate to the real world. The problem is the countless studies that have been done in this area were done using actual people with actual histories of being recipients of corporal punishment. Yet, and I feel I have to repeat myself, you see your personal anecdotal evidence as of greater value than peer review studies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic