mask up!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: mask up!

Post by paparazzi »

In Vietnam expats and locals around 90% wearing masks. Its become a sign of solidarity!! We are all in this fight together.!!!!!

Argue as much as you like if you come across an infected person and your wearing a mask it offers you some protection - be it even to remind you not to touch your face.

The countries whose populations are wearing masks are fearing better.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

paparazzi wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 am The countries whose populations are wearing masks are fearing better.
Haha. Yes, they are fearing better. That's why they wear the masks.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Just donned the dreaded mask for the first time, then realised now i have to shave off my carefully cultivated wild and wavey Ho Chi Minh. sob
Moderately high risk occupation.
Also, a big reminder message to everybody of how seriously i am taking this.

Part of the raft, along with
washing hands thoroughly maybe 10 times daily
hand-rub, probably 40 times
strict strict 2 metre seperation
barrier 2 metres out from the reception desk
barest necessary minimum interaction with my guests
being a nazi propagandist about hygiene and separation to my guests
very restrictive measures for common areas
indoctrinating my cleaners (huge step up in cleaning an already spotless establishment)

I really really dont want the virus in here, 'will do everything i can to keep it from spreading if it steps past the front door.
Thank the stars i have an bright, educated clientele. They realise we are all in this together and are generally willing to do their bit.
A few trumpian rebels tho' - flocking dangerous to everybody here.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

paparazzi wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 am In Vietnam expats and locals around 90% wearing masks. Its become a sign of solidarity!! We are all in this fight together.!!!!!

Argue as much as you like if you come across an infected person and your wearing a mask it offers you some protection - be it even to remind you not to touch your face.

The countries whose populations are wearing masks are fearing better.
Certainly not in Sa Pa, where less than half of the people wear masks. They stopped me yesterday and asked what I was doing on the streets, being a foreigner and all. When I pointed out that even the coppers are not wearing masks, thing got frosty. "All in this fight together"? Not in VIetnam, where the latent racism that has always been there is no displayed quite openly.

P.S.: I was wearing a mask.
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

Every day the U.S. president, VP and surgeon general all stand 2 feet apart from each other without gloves or masks as they give their daily briefing. Then they take turns talking at the podium which they all touch at one point or another. Then they hold up graphs with pictures of social distancing and tell us to stay home.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

finish_money wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am Every day the U.S. president, VP and surgeon general all stand 2 feet apart from each other without gloves or masks as they give their daily briefing. Then they take turns talking at the podium which they all touch at one point or another. Then they hold up graphs with pictures of social distancing and tell us to stay home.
I agree, not good leadership at all, which does not come as a surprise.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.
Nobody else need wear a mask, and there are several reasons for that."
"
One is that a mask is not seen as reliable protection, given that current research shows the virus is spread by droplets and not airborne transmission. This is why experts say frequent hand washing with soap and water is far more effective.
Full: Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't
up to you...
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Will everybody read @xandreu's post here: topic37011.html#p407688

I have to admit I didn't wear a mask till yesterday, but indeed: 'when in Rome'.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It seems the jury is still out fot the definitive answer.

"For many years, scientists weren’t sure whether wearing a mask was effective at preventing the spread of viruses. However, recent studies suggest they can help.

One study looked at how masks could help people with the seasonal flu limit spreading it when they exhale small droplets containing the virus. Overall, researchers found masks led to a more than threefold reduction in how much virus people sprayed into the air.

Another study analyzing data from thousands of Japanese schoolchildren, found that “vaccination and wearing a mask reduced the likelihood of developing seasonal influenza.”
Importantly, researchers also found that flu rates were lower when masks were paired with proper hand hygiene."

Personally, i am going to do whatever it takes - not so much for myself (never been good at that) but for my clientele.
Matthew Robinson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Matthew Robinson »

From Monday's Guardian (in the UK) ...

“Do face masks work?
They are not recommended by Public Health England (PHE), the NHS or the World Health Organisation (WHO), or the American Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) because there is no solid evidence they work and quite a lot of worry they may do unforeseen harm. Dr Jake Dunning, Head of Emerging Infections and Zoonoses, Public Health England, says: "Face masks play a very important role in clinical settings, such as hospitals. However, although there is a perception that the wearing of face masks may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of these clinical settings.”

Repeat for supposedly intelligent people on this forum:

“ … a lot of worry they may do foreseen harm … “
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic