Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by la8rat »

Also for a hub motor you'd want a lot more amps to play with in the discharge sense.

My motor draws 10amps max. Some hub drives need way more than my pack would be happy supplying. But I built it for my specific motor.
Lifepo4 chemistry is happy with hi c discharge rates as well as charge rates.

The prismatic cells I used for my campervan conversion 4x3.2 volt 190amphour cells will discharge 400 amps if needed. That would impact the cycle life but they would do it. As the biggest thing I run is a 1000w kettle and a 750w microwave I'm only pulling about 85 amps tops. For short periods mostly they are running low demand 12v stuff.
you work out your needs and then build the battery accordingly.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

la8rat wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm Also for a hub motor you'd want a lot more amps to play with in the discharge sense.
Depends on how you drive them mine has pedal assist also so can uses about 5-6 amps.
17 amps taking off at full throttle from a stop.
The top speed can be programmed using the display to be more conservative if need be and the controller used make a difference too
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

beaker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm
la8rat wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm Also for a hub motor you'd want a lot more amps to play with in the discharge sense.
Depends on how you drive them mine has pedal assist also so can uses about 5-6 amps.
17 amps taking off at full throttle from a stop.
The top speed can be programmed using the display to be more conservative if need be and the controller used make a difference too
Ah OK

some guys run crazy wattage bikes with twin front and rear hub drives that will do 60mph and need huge amps.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Have you ever wished you had lived in the beginning days of motorcycles ?
You have a chance to do it now with the emergence of the ebike.
They are progressing quickly with, comfort, safety, distance, speed and load carrying capacity.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for me,
I chose to cycle for 18 months thru SE Asia, cause i wanted to minimize hassles,go slow and increase interaction with the locals.
I cycle now for exercise and love going slow

If i want to travel faster, yet still feel like i am among the locals, I chose a motorcycle, nowhere i have traveled by motorcycle recently would an ebike have been practical
an ebike just makes no sense to me for personal use

I do see the benefits where they are rented in Bagan, ( and doesn't Angkor park rent them?)
plus
I can see the long range benefit of being non oil dependent but.......

PS:cool pic above :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I was just reading about an ebike with a 380 kilometers range before it needs charging

(here is a video)
jimi hendrix
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

beaker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:34 pm

The bike is a GT Aggressor bought from Flying Bikes in PP.

The motor is a 48V 1000w direct drive (no internal gearing) rear hub with KT LCD3 display thumb throttle, PAS (pedal assist system), regenerative braking and cruise control.

The battery is a 48V 11A Li-ion the top speed is 43 KPH and will travel 30+ K with only throttle. I am about to add a motor to my wife's cargo bike (waiting for delivery now) so I will give here my battery and I ordered a 52V 17A battery. It should give me about 50KPH and 50K distance. 35KPH is a comfortable speed and safety keeps up with traffic and can be ridden in the regular traffic lanes like a moto.

It's a fun bike to ride, like riding an antique motorcycle with the comfortable seat and wide beach style handlebars. If I was going to build another bike it would be a more retro 30's/40's style or a cyclo type project with a modified frame so not sitting so high up, possibly some 20" x 4" fat bike tires up front and with some nice hydraulic disc brakes all around.

I'm not a big fan of full suspension bikes to use as ebikes, problem with fitting the battery etc, more expensive, heavier, more stuff to maintaain. The riding I do is local streets that are only occasionally not asphalt.
The retro ebike project sounds good.

Regarding your GT Agressor ebike conversion, does that bag in the frame triangle contain the battery and controller, or is the battery fitted to the underside of the rear rack ?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 pm
beaker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:34 pm

The motor is a 48V 1000w direct drive (no internal gearing) rear hub with KT LCD3 display thumb throttle, PAS (pedal assist system), regenerative braking and cruise control.

The battery is a 48V 11A Li-ion the top speed is 43 KPH and will travel 30+ K with only throttle. I am about to add a motor to my wife's cargo bike (waiting for delivery now) so I will give here my battery and I ordered a 52V 17A battery. It should give me about 50KPH and 50K distance. 35KPH is a comfortable speed and safety keeps up with traffic and can be ridden in the regular traffic lanes like a moto.

It's a fun bike to ride, like riding an antique motorcycle with the comfortable seat and wide beach style handlebars. If I was going to build another bike it would be a more retro 30's/40's style or a cyclo type project with a modified frame so not sitting so high up, possibly some 20" x 4" fat bike tires up front and with some nice hydraulic disc brakes all around.

I'm not a big fan of full suspension bikes to use as ebikes, problem with fitting the battery etc, more expensive, heavier, more stuff to maintaain. The riding I do is local streets that are only occasionally not asphalt.
The retro ebike project sounds good.

Regarding your GT Agressor ebike conversion, does that bag in the frame triangle contain the battery and controller, or is the battery fitted to the underside of the rear rack ?
The battery and controller are in the triangle bag
jimi hendrix
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

beaker wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 am I was just reading about an ebike with a 380 kilometers range before it needs charging

(here is a video)
Some info on the bike

Range
245 mile / 392 km range
Top Speed
28 mph / 45 km/h
Weight (w/o rider)
128 lbs / 58 kg
Normal load capacity
275 lbs / 125 kg
Batteries
48V 70 Ah 13S 20P Samsung 3500 mah with bluetooth smart BMS
Motor
1500W QS/ Torque 135 N.m.

Pay $5 249 now and we’ll transfer your order to production stage today!

https://delfastbikes.com/prime-2-0/

Would you class as cheap ebike
Always "hope" but never "expect".
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

beaker wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:42 pm

The battery and controller are in the triangle bag
This kit looks pretty good.
Its a UK seller but ships from China, so I guess its all available direct from the China sellers at a lower price.

https://www.cloudsto.com/ebikes/kirbebi ... etail.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic