Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
stevenfalcons
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by stevenfalcons »

Thanks for all inputs.

I guess we can startup as a hobby/miniture scale thing. Perhaps a small factory/shop near Royal Palace area. Where are all the cyclos and E.V.. activities located.

Yes. Maybe we can modifiy old bicycles to a battery assisted version, or build the new generation electric cyclo for the people.

Anyone interested?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

stevenfalcons wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 pm Thanks for all inputs.

I guess we can startup as a hobby/miniture scale thing. Perhaps a small factory/shop near Royal Palace area. Where are all the cyclos and E.V.. activities located.

Yes. Maybe we can modifiy old bicycles to a battery assisted version, or build the new generation electric cyclo for the people.

Anyone interested?
Make one and use it around town. You will find that people are very curious and word of mouth selling could possibly keep you busy or get enough people who would allow for a group buy at wholesale prices.

There is a fair amount to learn about the products and different types (ie. hub geared, hub direct drive, bottom bracket, and separate motors). Lots to learn about the battery pack types and technology they are also expensive, about 2/3 of the total cost of a conversion, and hardest to acquire as they are considered hazardous material and most shippers won't ship them.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

stevenfalcons wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:20 am Hi everyone,

I want to bring more ebike to the people. I am thinking about protyping a cheap ebike, mostly made with easily available local parts. I am also thinking about adding battery assisted package to old trailer or bicycle, promoting electric mobilities.

Is there anyone interested in this kind of project?

Any help is appreciated.
Here's a Cambodian company that makes ebikes.
I dont know anything about them other than whats on the website

http://voltramotors.com/
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm
stevenfalcons wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:20 am Hi everyone,

I want to bring more ebike to the people. I am thinking about protyping a cheap ebike, mostly made with easily available local parts. I am also thinking about adding battery assisted package to old trailer or bicycle, promoting electric mobilities.

Is there anyone interested in this kind of project?

Any help is appreciated.
Here's a Cambodian company that makes ebikes.
I dont know anything about them other than whats on the website

http://voltramotors.com/
They are getting them via China and are doing the usual Khmer selling scam of not actually having them in stock but you have to pre-order then they will order at wholesale price and then double it +.
They do the easy assembly from the package and claim they are made in Cambodia.
https://opaisales.en.made-in-china.com/ ... V12ah.html
Last edited by beaker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

beaker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 am Image

This is my bike it is great for Cambodia and no license hassles for me at 70yo with my long expired CA license.
I am waiting for a motor for my wife's cargo type bike it will get a 48v 500w front hub brushless motor and my 48v 11A battery and an upgraded battery for mine 52v 17A should arrive next week.

I wouldn't suggest anyone get one of those little bikes the speeds you can get would make those very dubious. Those little things are going to kill someone and ruin it for the rest of us.

If anyone wants some more information or help with their project let me know. I like building these bikes as much as riding them. If anyone wants to pay the price I would sell my bike just so I can start something new. Currently 1000w rear hub brushless motor with the 48v 11A battery it will go up to 45kph for over 30k without any peddle assist just throttle but it also has 5 levels of peddle assist. Soon in about a week it will be upgraded to 52v 17A for higher speed maybe 50kph and longer range 45-50k per charge. I will go faster than is comfortable so I will program it to 35kph max speed which will keep my heavy thumb from going too fast and will extend my range.
Great setup/specs.
If you did it again, would you start with a full suspension bike ?
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm
beaker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 am Image

This is my bike it is great for Cambodia and no license hassles for me at 70yo with my long expired CA license.
I am waiting for a motor for my wife's cargo type bike it will get a 48v 500w front hub brushless motor and my 48v 11A battery and an upgraded battery for mine 52v 17A should arrive next week.

I wouldn't suggest anyone get one of those little bikes the speeds you can get would make those very dubious. Those little things are going to kill someone and ruin it for the rest of us.

If anyone wants some more information or help with their project let me know. I like building these bikes as much as riding them. If anyone wants to pay the price I would sell my bike just so I can start something new. Currently 1000w rear hub brushless motor with the 48v 11A battery it will go up to 45kph for over 30k without any peddle assist just throttle but it also has 5 levels of peddle assist. Soon in about a week it will be upgraded to 52v 17A for higher speed maybe 50kph and longer range 45-50k per charge. I will go faster than is comfortable so I will program it to 35kph max speed which will keep my heavy thumb from going too fast and will extend my range.
Great setup/specs.
If you did it again, would you start with a full suspension bike ?
The bike is a GT Aggressor bought from Flying Bikes in PP.

The motor is a 48V 1000w direct drive (no internal gearing) rear hub with KT LCD3 display thumb throttle, PAS (pedal assist system), regenerative braking and cruise control.

The battery is a 48V 11A Li-ion the top speed is 43 KPH and will travel 30+ K with only throttle. I am about to add a motor to my wife's cargo bike (waiting for delivery now) so I will give here my battery and I ordered a 52V 17A battery. It should give me about 50KPH and 50K distance. 35KPH is a comfortable speed and safety keeps up with traffic and can be ridden in the regular traffic lanes like a moto.

It's a fun bike to ride, like riding an antique motorcycle with the comfortable seat and wide beach style handlebars. If I was going to build another bike it would be a more retro 30's/40's style or a cyclo type project with a modified frame so not sitting so high up, possibly some 20" x 4" fat bike tires up front and with some nice hydraulic disc brakes all around.

I'm not a big fan of full suspension bikes to use as ebikes, problem with fitting the battery etc, more expensive, heavier, more stuff to maintaain. The riding I do is local streets that are only occasionally not asphalt.
jimi hendrix
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

I built my own mid drive e bike and battery.
I used an old spec 1 santa cruz mountain bike and a Chinese torque sensing motor that fits in the bottom bracket it's a tsdz2 from aliexpress but other people sell them.

Bike was £300 second hand
Motor was £350 delivered new
I think mountain bikes make the best done bikes as they are built tougher than normal bikes and are better able to deal with the extra torque and weight.
Built my own spot welder from an old car battery and an ignition solinoid
Then used it to weld 18650 lithium ion cells into my 52 volt pack. Its 700w/hours and on the lowest boost settings its good for 100 ish miles on the flat. I rode from my house to Manchester center mainly on the canals but was some climbing over the pennine foot hills. 46 miles and I had 52% battery left.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

la8rat wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm I built my own mid drive e bike and battery.
I used an old spec 1 santa cruz mountain bike and a Chinese torque sensing motor that fits in the bottom bracket it's a tsdz2 from aliexpress but other people sell them.

Bike was £300 second hand
Motor was £350 delivered new
I think mountain bikes make the best done bikes as they are built tougher than normal bikes and are better able to deal with the extra torque and weight.
Built my own spot welder from an old car battery and an ignition solinoid
Then used it to weld 18650 lithium ion cells into my 52 volt pack. Its 700w/hours and on the lowest boost settings its good for 100 ish miles on the flat. I rode from my house to Manchester center mainly on the canals but was some climbing over the pennine foot hills. 46 miles and I had 52% battery left.
great build

Finding a source of good batteries at a decent price with shipping is what kept me from building my own. Can't get the batteries (samsung in my case) for the price they are charging for the whole battery packs that include, BMS and case.

I prefer DD hub motor to the bottom BB type as they don't have gears to wear out and much less wear to the drive train.
jimi hendrix
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Thanks. I got my cells from Holland. They were not to bad. I bought 70 so got a slight discount.
If I was to build another battery I'd go with lithium iron phosphate chemistry. Much much safer. Higher charge rates not a problem. And much better cycle life.
I've seen people get lifepo4 cells from China that have worked well and been very cheap.

Endless sphere is a very good forum for all things electric vehicles and battery technology.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic