Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak in Cambodia as it Happens- News and Discussion

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

This is a virus. It has happened many times. Stop freaking out. I can assure you in 3 months you will be sniffin yer butts wonderin what the whole who ha was about.

Viruses are simple to google and interpret. What is wrong with you people???

Wash yer god damn hands. Don’t go out if you do not have to. Don’t touch shit! Unless yer buyin it.

Stop panicking! Chillax.

[@BSCW - your post has been partially edited. If you want to join the conversation, please talk sense. You know you can do that.]
Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak in Cambodia as it Happens- News and Discussion

Post by Stinkman »

My guess is that China is waiting for the US to surpass their own numbers of reported cases and death count before allowing their numbers to rise any more, which are surely in the millions of cases by now. Then they will blame their resurgent numbers on people returning to China from the US.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

AUSTRALIA'S CRUISESHIP SCANDAL: The biggest source of coronavirus infections reported in Australia so far comes from the Princess Ruby cruiseship. News of sick passengers with symptoms were kept quiet, and almost 2,700 passengers debarked from the ship at Sydney without a health screening. In addition, large numbers of passengers who disembarked from the cruise ship were allowed to take international flights out of Australia without any medical controls or information.
Let us hope that there is an inquiry. The company Princess Cruises and the Australian authorities both appear to be responsible for criminal negligence.

Coronavirus: How did Australia's Ruby Princess cruise debacle happen?
By Frances Mao BBC News, Sydney
3 hours ago
On Thursday, the Ruby Princess cruise ship docked in Sydney with dozens of undiagnosed coronavirus cases onboard.

Almost 2,700 passengers - some coughing and spluttering - were allowed to leave the ship at Sydney Harbour, catching trains, buses and even overseas flights to get home.

More than 130 people from the cruise have now tested positive, making it the biggest single source of infections in Australia. One passenger died in hospital on Tuesday.

Passengers have vented their anger over how the situation was handled by ship operator Princess Cruises and Australian authorities.

Elisa McCafferty, an Australian woman who flew home to London with her husband immediately after disembarking, told the BBC: "Nothing was said at anytime about anyone being sick onboard. It was a distinct lack of information coming through from Princess the entire time."

She only learned of the danger while collecting her bags at Heathrow Airport.

"I turned on my phone and I started getting all these notifications from people back in Australia saying 'there's been confirmed cases on the Ruby,'" she said.

"And I was just absolutely petrified. We had just been on two full flights - what if we had infected someone?"

She said she now had a dry cough, fever, body aches and fatigue - and they were self-isolating at home. They were also concerned about their elderly parents and friends who were on the trip too.

Other passengers recalled coming into contact with sick people on the boat and said there were no warnings.

"I think that they let us down," said Bill Beerens, a Sydney man who tested positive for the virus in hospital on the day he disembarked.

"I do honestly believe that they [cruise ship management] knew what was going on and they just wanted us off the boat," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Elderly couple Rona and Michael Doubrin said they had symptoms towards the end of the cruise but had not been concerned, because they had not been told to practice social distancing.

"People were going down to the pool, we were lying in the sun, eating in the dining room, dancing, seeing shows," Ms Doubrin told Daily Mail Australia.

"We would have isolated ourselves in the cabin if we'd known. We're not spring chickens - we're high risk."

What happened in Sydney?
After an 11-day voyage, the ship returned to the city before dawn, cutting short its final New Zealand leg as the nation announced a travel ban.

At the time, according to NSW Health, about a dozen passengers reported feeling unwell and they had swabs taken for Covid-19. An ambulance took a passenger to hospital. (The woman, aged in her 70s, died on Tuesday, authorities said.)

But other passengers on board weren't told of this. Instead, thousands streamed off the boat at Circular Quay, just across from the Sydney Opera House. The bustling area leads directly into the city centre, with transit links to the airport and outer suburbs.

Five days earlier, Australia began ordering anyone returning from overseas to self-isolate for 14 days - a directive which applied to the cruise passengers.

But the Ruby Princess passengers weren't screened and were unmonitored when they left the ship. About a third were international passengers - they were told they could travel overseas immediately or self-isolate in Sydney for a fortnight.
Full article:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Laos Confirms First Two COVID-19 Cases
24/03/20 17:40
VIENTIANE, March 24 (Xinhua) -- Laos has detected the first two confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country, the Lao Health Ministry officials told a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the officials led by Deputy Health Minister Phouthone Moungpak, the two confirmed cases, both Lao nationals, are likely to be imported.

The infected female tourist guide went to Vangvieng, Luang Prabang in northern Laos and Cambodia before showing COVID-19 flu-like symptoms.

The other infected male hotel staff is supposed to be infected in Thailand while receiving a training course there.

Both the infected and their close contacts have been quarantined, according to the Lao officials.
- Xinhua
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i see the 'authorities' have denied there is a plan to shut down phnom penh
but i hear there is a plan to shut down any province where there are more than a handful of cases

it looks like a couple of viets and possibly the laotian may have caught it in phnom penh, so it's obviously all around now
people fleeing to the province are going to take it with them

monstra mihi bona!
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

I really didn't want to join a conversation or discussion. I wanted to post my opinion and a few facts.

It's a virus, and a seasonal virus. Unfortunately for some unknown reason, governments, with an S, did not inform us. So ... the southern hemisphere might have to pay badly when their winter comes.

They keep talking about how long it lasts on surfaces, but it must be cold surfaces. It's dead in the water at 30 degrees Celsius.

Masks are useless unless you have it. Don't shake hands. Stay away from people right now unless you have to. Use soap and water.

I'm just stating facts and keeping the peace. Why you edit my post? It was a good un.

The Bat
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

batshitcrazyweirdo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 am I really didn't want to join a conversation or discussion. I wanted to post my opinion and a few facts.

It's a virus, and a seasonal virus. Unfortunately for some unknown reason, governments, with an S, did not inform us. So ... the southern hemisphere might have to pay badly when their winter comes.

They keep talking about how long it lasts on surfaces, but it must be cold surfaces. It's dead in the water at 30 degrees Celsius.

Masks are useless unless you have it. Don't shake hands. Stay away from people right now unless you have to. Use soap and water.

I'm just stating facts and keeping the peace. Why you edit my post? It was a good un.

The Bat
Great to hear even normal body temperatures will eradicate this virus instantly.
Even greater the best virologists of the world take time to post their newly acquired insights here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

batshitcrazyweirdo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 am
It's a virus, and a seasonal virus.
Masks are useless unless you have it.
The Bat
Sorry Bat, i don't like be a "corrector" of opinions but this is important
- it is life or death important

Those statements of yours are just plain wrong.
Low level masks have very limited ability to stop incoming virus - but some.
higher level masks do provide higher level protection

It is not a "seasonal virus" - people will be catching this and dying in both summer and winter (although season do have some role)

30 deg C - totally wrong.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm AUSTRALIA'S CRUISESHIP SCANDAL: The biggest source of coronavirus infections reported in Australia so far comes from the Princess Ruby cruiseship. News of sick passengers with symptoms were kept quiet, and almost 2,700 passengers debarked from the ship at Sydney without a health screening. In addition, large numbers of passengers who disembarked from the cruise ship were allowed to take international flights out of Australia without any medical controls or information.
Let us hope that there is an inquiry. The company Princess Cruises and the Australian authorities both appear to be responsible for criminal negligence.

Coronavirus: How did Australia's Ruby Princess cruise debacle happen?
By Frances Mao BBC News, Sydney
3 hours ago
On Thursday, the Ruby Princess cruise ship docked in Sydney with dozens of undiagnosed coronavirus cases onboard.

Almost 2,700 passengers - some coughing and spluttering - were allowed to leave the ship at Sydney Harbour, catching trains, buses and even overseas flights to get home.

More than 130 people from the cruise have now tested positive, making it the biggest single source of infections in Australia. One passenger died in hospital on Tuesday.

Passengers have vented their anger over how the situation was handled by ship operator Princess Cruises and Australian authorities.

Elisa McCafferty, an Australian woman who flew home to London with her husband immediately after disembarking, told the BBC: "Nothing was said at anytime about anyone being sick onboard. It was a distinct lack of information coming through from Princess the entire time."

She only learned of the danger while collecting her bags at Heathrow Airport.

"I turned on my phone and I started getting all these notifications from people back in Australia saying 'there's been confirmed cases on the Ruby,'" she said.

"And I was just absolutely petrified. We had just been on two full flights - what if we had infected someone?"

She said she now had a dry cough, fever, body aches and fatigue - and they were self-isolating at home. They were also concerned about their elderly parents and friends who were on the trip too.

Other passengers recalled coming into contact with sick people on the boat and said there were no warnings.

"I think that they let us down," said Bill Beerens, a Sydney man who tested positive for the virus in hospital on the day he disembarked.

"I do honestly believe that they [cruise ship management] knew what was going on and they just wanted us off the boat," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Elderly couple Rona and Michael Doubrin said they had symptoms towards the end of the cruise but had not been concerned, because they had not been told to practice social distancing.

"People were going down to the pool, we were lying in the sun, eating in the dining room, dancing, seeing shows," Ms Doubrin told Daily Mail Australia.

"We would have isolated ourselves in the cabin if we'd known. We're not spring chickens - we're high risk."

What happened in Sydney?
After an 11-day voyage, the ship returned to the city before dawn, cutting short its final New Zealand leg as the nation announced a travel ban.

At the time, according to NSW Health, about a dozen passengers reported feeling unwell and they had swabs taken for Covid-19. An ambulance took a passenger to hospital. (The woman, aged in her 70s, died on Tuesday, authorities said.)

But other passengers on board weren't told of this. Instead, thousands streamed off the boat at Circular Quay, just across from the Sydney Opera House. The bustling area leads directly into the city centre, with transit links to the airport and outer suburbs.

Five days earlier, Australia began ordering anyone returning from overseas to self-isolate for 14 days - a directive which applied to the cruise passengers.

But the Ruby Princess passengers weren't screened and were unmonitored when they left the ship. About a third were international passengers - they were told they could travel overseas immediately or self-isolate in Sydney for a fortnight.
Full article:
Uber & Taxi drivers would be able to transmit this right through the country.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Olympic games in Tokyo postponed until 2021.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic