Seeking to Raise fund to open A Burger Vendor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Re: Seeking to Raise fund to open A Burger Vendor

Post by LaudJohn »

I forgot to add...

If you are even barely successful, you will be copied by Khmers, who will compete with you by selling at a lower price.

Do not compete on price. Compete on quality, service and cleanliness.

Use Aussie or Kiwi rump imported meat which you mince.

Put up a sign saying something like ... Quality costs a bit more; Imported beef etc.

Now as for your comment regarding starting simple. That is what I have suggested, burger, cheeseburger and double double, all the double double is, is a cheeseburger with an extra patty with cheese. Add the fries a week or two later if you want, but fries are simple and very high profit margin.
Dionysus
Tourist

Post by Dionysus »

As someone else pointed out, your customers, especially tourists (not backpackers) will want somewhere to sit down and eat. Maybe you could put a couple of cheap plastic tables and few chairs next to the cart.

Also an eskie with cold beer and soft drinks - this will potentially double your profit.

For the menu I would stick to simple burgers and possibly a hot dog.

Good luck.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

The plethora of advice is overwhelming. Yes, you are very correct to the poster above, but there are a lot of implications. It's every vendors dream. Suggestions so far are all noted.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Laud is right,"Do not compete on price. Compete on quality, service and cleanliness."
but first figure out who ur customers will be >? tourists or locals as tourist you wont expect them to return anyway an locals will, if u offer a better product
Pup street area ur looking at tourist as from what i see local expats don't spend much time down there

but why compete with everyone anyway? Gyro's are the way to go, presentation is fantastic for doing it.
I cant recall seeing them anywhere in Cambodia an they are only starting to be made here and served from carts and the locals an tourist love them,

For sure, have a cooler with beer/1-2 soft drinks, water

The one at Amazon is not expensive an am sure if u do ur research u could have one made locally for less

Just my $.05 worth
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Now that the menu has extended to include Burgers, Hotdogs, Gyros, Beer, Softdrinks and Water, any chance you could add Chiko Rolls, steamed and fried Dim Sims, and . . .

:popcorn:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Hot dogs a leading cause of food poisoning (no source, Google it) as they are protein and sit in the 'dangerous temperature zone' for too long. I suggest you give these a miss until you've got everything else dancing.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Paging the Gates foundation.

Guys, I really appreciate your ideas. Why I ask for 1k fund? It's because it something I can comfortably repay. I dont like to pull of the mission and and vision statement....any of you NGOs or cooperate dudes know it is full of shit most of the time.

But here is my vision and mission statements anyway: to provide jobs for a few honest individual, that includes my wife bitching at me every day, so it'll be something to keep her more busy. My vision is to show the local that don't be a pussy and inspire them to do something with their lives.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

While I am at it. Some of you might remember when CEOers helped to chip in during my difficult period, and my few last response was that I'll pay it forward. Case in point, with your help, I already helped a few younger generations providing them a foundation.
MoodyMonkey
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by MoodyMonkey »

You should bring your wife and kid with you when you come visit.
There are no letters in the mailbox, there are no grapes upon the vine, there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore and there are no diamonds in the mine.
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

Damned fine thread, Chickenman, I am impressed.

I'll chip in an idea. Here it is. right on the next line.
Ready ?

Everyone is talking quality. That would be best, for sure.
But if that doesn't work just right, remember that they were
extremists, destined to be wrong. You would have been
BETTER OFF PROFIT WISE if you had done the opposite of what they said.

Compete on price. Have a low cost, really GOOD BURGER !

Have an example ? How about a 6 cent hamburger. They're small.
The meat is a composite. But they were good and people would
buy them by the dozen.

They made a famous hamburger chain out of the idea. 6 cents won't work
anymore. If they are still in business then look at their web site for the
current prices, but that is the cost in america. Less here.....no?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic