70Yo Singapore Man Arrested for One Stop Drug Shop

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

70Yo Singapore Man Arrested for One Stop Drug Shop

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: On the afternoon of March 23, 2020, the Armed Forces of the Department of Drug Enforcement Administration sent two suspects to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on charges of drug trafficking.
The authorities raided a rented room on Koh Pich in Phnom Penh and arrested 70-year-old KEE BENG HWA, a Singaporean male, and a 32-year-old Khmer woman, together with nearly one and a half kilos of various drugs, including crystal meth, pills, and marijuana, as well as more than two kilograms of chemical ingredients for producing drugs.
The judge is questioning the suspects and the investigation is on-going.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 70Yo Singapore Man Arrested for One Stop Drug Shop

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Court of Appeal Upholds 25 Year Sentence for Singaporean Drug Trafficker

September 29, 2021
Appeals court upholds sentence of elderly Singaporean man for drug trafficking
The Phnom Penh Municipal Court of Appeal released its verdict on the sentence of a Singaporean national who was arrested and charged for drug trafficking.

The court announced on September 28 that it upheld the sentence of the Singaporean. He was arrested for illegal use, possession, trafficking, and production of drugs between 2014 and 2020. He was sentenced to a 25-year sentence for his crimes.

The President of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court of Appeal, Pov Phousun, said that the accused identified as Kee Beng Hwa, 72-years-old, was sentenced by the4 Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 25, 2020. Along with the prison term, he was also ordered to pay a fine of approximately $12,165. However, Beng Hwa appealed to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court of Appeals to commute his sentencing.

Beg Hwa was arrested on March 25, 2020 together with a Cambodian woman identified as 32-year-old Khieu Srey Touch, at a rented apartment near Koh Pich in Tonle Bassac commune, Boeung Keng Kang district, Phnom Penh.

Authorities seized various drugs weighing up to 1.49 kg in total. The drugs seized included methamphetamine, ketamine, ecstasy, as well as other contraband drugs.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50944001/a ... afficking/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Best not too do the crime at any age. But here we see, and it looks harsh being given a death sentence.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:53 am Best not too do the crime at any age. But here we see, and it looks harsh being given a death sentence.
Yes, I feel sorry for him too, but the old boy is not a drug mule. According to the OP, he was manufacturing and selling crystal meth in various forms.
"Breaking bad" as a granddad is still "bad". There's no reason why his sentence should be reduced just because he's elderly.

It's true that he could be a fallguy for a bigger syndicate, but if you get busted with large amounts of drugs and drug producing equipment, then you are involved in drug trafficking.
If he had been busted in Singapore then it would have been the death sentence for him. (Maybe that would have been better than 25 years (life) in a Cambodian jail ? Who can say ?)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I had quoted best not do the crime, because of his age, the sentence if he serves will bring him to 95 years old, if he survives the custardy of the Cambodian jail.
But what he is! Obviously he is a drug producer, and I would think working for someone who has fallen out of favour. He would be like the many producers in the golden triangle. But there's the thing, now without the mass opium fields there, and now synthetic drugs the chemist can be on hand anywhere. In the hub is convenient.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Bloody Chinese….
People of the world, spice up your life.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

mannanman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:45 pm Bloody Chinese….
Hey! Watcha!

As a fellow Singaporean I too wish him dead but what has Chinese race gotta do with this case? I don’t wish to start fucking you bigot but hey watcha!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

yong wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:01 pm
Hey! Watcha!

As a fellow Singaporean I too wish him dead but what has Chinese race gotta do with this case? I don’t wish to start fucking you bigot but hey watcha!
It was a dig at people being racist twats on this forum. Look Chinese = Bloody Chinese.

I assure you I’m not racist. (Unless you’re bloody French)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Hey! Watcha!

It was a dig at people being racist twats on this forum. Look Chinese = Bloody Chinese.

He may have been French - Singaporean. All I know he has a good thread, he cooks and loves food. :beer3:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:14 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Hey! Watcha!

He may have been French - Singaporean. All I know he has a good thread, he cooks and loves food. :beer3:
Hmm, most Singaporeans are Chinese or Malay not many French Singaporeans, is that even a thing?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic