Thaksin & Yingluck to establish government in exile

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
suka
Tourist

Re: Thaksin & Yingluck to establish government in exile

Post by suka »

I seriously doubt (and foreign investor )that the Thai can do without foreign expertise but some thinks so.
The country is suppose to have this vast pool of highly trained individual but the elite tells us that the general population is to uneducated to hold election.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote:You both have it wrong, many thais study abroad an acquire a western education ( Thaksin, Abhisit are 2)
and return to their own country.

I am NOT talking abut Thai's educated in Thailand.

Why dont they go abroad an work? cause, unlike us Farangs, they prefer to be amongst their own.

Both of u really dont know thailand or thai people.

10 years ago it was true, westerners were desired for top positions in companies and the travel industry but not anymore, Plenty of western educated thais in Thailand.
Not really the case in the oil & petrochemical production and service sector yet, you'll find that Westerners are still required, necessary and here in numbers in top positions, PTT would be the obvious exception but that's a State blue blood institution. There are so many Japanese working here on the Eastern Seaboard industrial area I suspect the automotive sector may still not reflect the changes you are talking about. Thais are still building up the skills in the highly technical and engineering fields, but like a lot of developing economies it is gradually changing, there is no denying that.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

from the PPP

Thai exile gov’t mulled
Mon, 26 May 2014
Kevin Ponniah and Vong Sokheng
Members of the deposed government of former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra are considering forming a government in exile following last week’s military coup, a senior legal adviser has said, fuelling speculation that Cambodia could play host.

Robert Amsterdam, legal counsel to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra (Yingluck’s influential brother), and the United National Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), better known as the “red shirts”, said in a statement on Friday that “a number of foreign governments have already expressed their willingness to host such a government in exile under internationally established rules and practice”.

Full story here
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... 99t-mulled
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

The Obama administration considers the Thai military a key ally in its military build-up in the Asia-Pacific, aimed at preparing for war against China. The Thai and US militaries held their annual Cobra Gold exercises in February, which are the largest multi-national war games in South East Asia.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby told Reuters the US had a “long-standing relationship [with the Thai military], going well back in United States history... [which] we still believe is important.” He said the Pentagon had informed the new regime that they expected “a return to democratic principles in Thailand just as soon as possible.”
Asked at Friday’s press briefing whether the US had any prior knowledge of the coup, State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki

was evasive: “I’m not aware of prior notice. I haven’t asked that specific question, but I think I’m not aware of it.”

It is inconceivable that the Thai military carried out a coup without approval from Washington. Over the past seven months, Washington has not criticised the PDRC’s openly anti-democratic campaign to topple the elected government and install an unelected “people’s council.” It did not condemn the Constitutional Court’s decisions to nullify February’s election—which was clearly won by the Pheu Thai Party—and to remove Prime Minister Yingluck this month on blatantly trumped up charges.
Last edited by Milord on Mon May 26, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Withholding a couple of million dollars from a military junta that they've helped equip and train over the years must rank pretty high on the list of the US government's token gestures in their crusade of influencing and supporting their own version of democracy on other countries.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

3.5 million US$ drop in the pocket compared to what Thaksin stole.

Don't forget Thaksin went to university in the states an he has always been liked in dc.

"He received a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Eastern Kentucky University in the United States in 1975, and three years later was awarded a doctorate in Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Texas."

Texas is where he got his hatred of farangs cause they called him a gook
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: "He received a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Eastern Kentucky University in the United States in 1975, and three years later was awarded a doctorate in Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Texas."
Lol, that's seriously funny given his business and political history. You sure it wasn't in Evading Criminal Justice. :D
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Texas? Where they are so racially sensitive. Surprised they didn't call him a Wetback.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

When i ski patrolled in Aspen Colorado we had a saying about Texans

"if god had wanted Texans to ski he would have made bulllshit white"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Regarding foreigners working in Thailand and whether they're wanted or needed here, let's not forget that many companies doing business in Thailand belong to multinationals whose Thai operations are just a subsidiary. In such a setup, there's often reluctance to put locals in charge, and that has more to do with cultural issues and different mentalities than with a lack of skills. The company I'm working for is a good example. Of course most of my colleagues here are Thai, but when I tried to appoint one of them as a director because he would have been a good choice to add to our management team, our then-chairman told me in no uncertain terms that we don't have any use for a Thai director and that I have to pick someone from his "pool" (of whities, obviously) instead. That's no exception either, Japanese companies usually prefer to put Japanese nationals in charge as well.

Some of my Thai friends in Bangkok have studied abroad, too, and I know many more who aren't friends but colleagues or acquaintances. It's difficult to generalize with that group, from my experience. Some pretty much absorb the culture of their host country and come back feeling superior, often having very bad feelings towards Thailand and their fellow Thais. They'd usually be better off working abroad, but they're often needed here in their family business, and letting them study abroad was the only leeway they got. Others seem completely different, they might spend 4 years in the US going to college and neither make any American friends nor make any effort to pick up the language properly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic