Why I think the official procedure to marry a Cambodian is a scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Why I think the official procedure to marry a Cambodian is a scam

Post by Khmu Nation »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:46 pm Why do you have to be married? A foreigner's name can't be on the birth certificate?
Sex and living with a falang is illegal here. Whether there are ways round this I don't know but as I intend to stay here for the rest of my life and as I am having a child here I want to do it by the book through the correct channels and its also important to me the kid has a UK passport to give him more freedom of movement when he is older. Dual nationality is also illegal here but provided the kid is never caught with a Lao and UK passport on him no one is bothered. Its a total scam but what you gonna do? Hand over fist.
happygilmore
Tourist
United States of America

Post by happygilmore »

Has anyone been asked by the Ministry of Interior for a notarized affidavit certify there criminal background check ?
happygilmore
Tourist
United States of America

Post by happygilmore »

That is where I am having a problem is my embassy wont certify it, and the Sub Decree on Marriage clearly states that only the passport and single certificate must be certified. And below is what my Embassy says. Do I need to offer a bribe ?

" U.S. Embassy can only legally certify copies of a U.S. citizen’s passport and notarize affidavits of single status; the current Cambodian sub-decree governing marriages also only requires certification of those two documents. None of the other documents required by the MFA can be certified by the U.S. Embassy. The MFA has assured the U.S. Embassy that marriage applications in which only the passport copies and affidavits of single status have been certified, in accordance with both U.S. and Cambodian law, will be accepted by them, despite any written notices or instructions that indicate otherwise. "
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

happygilmore wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:50 pm Has anyone been asked by the Ministry of Interior for a notarized affidavit certify there criminal background check ?
yes. i had to get one 2 years ago for migrating a Khmer to Europe. COst $100 and took 3 days. i used Cammbodian notary public in Canadia tower. they handled most of the documentation for me
dnegel22
Tourist
Finland

Post by dnegel22 »

I got my marriage finished just before Covid-19 closed borders and already got her residence permit to Finland. It was hell, shitload of money and 2 trips to Bangkok from Cambodia even all my documents were perfect.

My wifes aplication for permit for processed in 10 days by Finland immigrations.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

all marriage is scam
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

fazur wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:25 pm all marriage is scam