The SS Columbia Eagle mutiny. 1970.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The SS Columbia Eagle mutiny. 1970.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image:Libcom.org

I came across this maritime event, and although not particularly current, I thought some might be interested in it. I'm sure there are those already familiar with the mutiny.

A short history of the most spectacular American naval mutiny during the Vietnam war, where two sailors hijacked a ship full of napalm and sailed it to Cambodia.

"The Columbia Eagle was a merchant vessel under contract to the US government to take military supplies - napalm and explosives - to US air force bases in Thailand to bomb Vietnam."

"On 14 March, 1970, Clyde McKay, 25, and Alvin Glatkowski, 20, two of the sailors on board who were both members of the Seafarers International Union commandeered the ship."

"They held the captain at gunpoint and, claiming they had a live bomb on board, forced him to order 24 crew members to abandon the ship in lifeboats, and sail the ship to the neutral nation of Cambodia."

"After arriving in the port of Sihanoukville, the mutineers informed the government of Prince Norodom Sihanouk's that they had seized the ship and its cargo as an act of protest against the Vietnam war, and claimed asylum as anti-war revolutionaries."

"Initially given asylum, the two hijackers soon found themselves prisoners of Prime Minister Lon Nol’s right-leaning government.

"While jailed on a prison ship, they smoked marijuana with their guards, and gave statements to reporters declaring themselves "Marxist revolutionaries".

"Glatkowski was later released and surrendered at the U.S. embassy, and Columbia Eagle was returned to American authorities. He was charged with mutiny, kidnapping, assault and neglect of duty, convicted, and served his sentence."

"McKay, however, escaped from Cambodian custody along with a US army deserter named Larry Humphrey. The two fled north hoping to join the state-communist Khmer Rouge as freedom fighters, but were reportedly executed by the guerrillas in 1971. "

https://libcom.org/history/ss-columbia- ... even-johns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Columb ... e_incident
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The SS Columbia Eagle mutiny. 1970.

Post by Brody »

Holy shit! I've never read of this before. Thanks for posting. Great find! :thumb:
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:36 pm The two fled north hoping to join the state-communist Khmer Rouge as freedom fighters, but were reportedly executed by the guerrillas in 1971. "
It rarely pays to be an idealistic moron.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... fight-isis
You could be next.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

There's a really good book called The Eagle Mutiny by Richard Linnett & Roberto Loiederman. It's a great read. Breaks it all down.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I found a US embassy of Phnom Penh deserter file on them. Copy/dowload image from the following website and enlarge for reading if interested.
https://www.loc.gov/item/powmia/pw027637/

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gator wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm There's a really good book called The Eagle Mutiny by Richard Linnett & Roberto Loiederman. It's a great read. Breaks it all down.
I've got that on my shelf, one of the more generous members bought it for me years back. It's an amazing tale. My sig line from TOF references them :wave:

Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the F111 crews had a little more r&r than they had planned for ;-) ;-) ;-)
thru shit to more shit
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

It’s a great story but odd. One of the hijackers had a dad working for some govt. agency and later he himself worked for some govt. agency.
When I followed the trail of Sean Flynn from Pages book we found the village in the rubber plantation in Kompong Cham were Page believed Flynn was held. There was an old lady who described the prisoners including the tall one who she supplied with ganga. It was probably one of the mutineers and Humphrey.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Alvin Glatkowski came back here in 2004
Clyde McKay and Humphreys remains were those that Tim Page had hoped were his friends Sean Flynn and Dana Stone

The before and after story, in brief
The Last Mutineer
- an article by Richard Linnett and Roberto Loiederman, the authors of The Eagle Mutiny

Click the pdf attachment
https://libcom.org/history/last-mutineer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic