Bar Closures in Phnom Penh Over COVID-19?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bar Closures in Phnom Penh Over COVID-19?

Post by Soriya »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:06 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm They could go to Sharky bar.

It's empty and lacks character.

St 51 filth would make it better than its ever been under Mr Bean.
Sharky bar is kind of shit i mean why have a cigar lounge area but you cant smoke inside? i get the feeling the owner just runs that place to stay busy and not to make money.
In the handfull of times i been in there i have always smoked inside. Never knew they had a cigar lounge
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

paul.smith
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Police closing Phnom Penh Bars and Restaurants

Post by paul.smith »

Police are closing Phnom Penh Bars and Restaurants as fears of the Coronavirus spreading Cambodia. The bar in street 172 was asked to close and all customers leave, This is being repeated across streets in the entire area. Swimming pools are out of bounds for hotel guests and no music or TV in hotel bars.
It must be said that this is undoubtedly a good idea however it will leave a lot of bored and thirsty foreigners looking for something to do!
This is just the start I noticed yesterday had a Sunday feel with very quiet streets and little traffic.
Locals are sending their children to the province and many businesses appear closed.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kampot is still open - bars, restaurants and shops, but there are rumours flying around that restaurants may close soon, and a few backpacker hostels have closed their dormitory accomodation. There's no shutdown, but the town is quiet, and there are way less tourists than usual the last day or two.

I heard that a lot of places in SR are closed though, and that the supermarkets are lacking supplies ? (Over to you SR expats - as I said, this is just what I heard.)
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

104 St closed l heard from girl who works there.

Just take a moment to think about the workers in this area and the struggle they will be facing.

If you can show any support for people you know in this area please help.

We are in this mess together!!!!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Walked down st136 tonight and some have lights off but girls at the front...

Where there's a will there's a way... :mrgreen:
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

paparazzi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm 104 St closed l heard from girl who works there.

Just take a moment to think about the workers in this area and the struggle they will be facing.

If you can show any support for people you know in this area please help.

We are in this mess together!!!!
And when you need a dollar,ask them to lend you one
Most will laugh and wave you on.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Someone needs to sort out a KTV girl App. You can sign up lots of unemployed singers, give them a microphone/ amplifier set up and then customers can get them to come around to their place and "sing a song". There would of course be a very high risk of getting arrested and incarcerated, but them's the breaks and a girl (or guy) has gotta eat. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I feel with the people whose livelihood depends on the tourist industry.

But please do your best to help stop the spread of this virus. Otherwise these businesses will have to stay closed even longer.
Do you believe you reduce your and their risk by meeting fewer people, and if so, what does that entail?

Additionally, we can help the staff of these businesses by donating the money we would have spent, and add some more.
Perhaps donate to the proprietors as well.
That is what some countries' governments who have more financial firepower have started doing.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

This situation requires us all to step up and help in any small way we can. Its hard to know the timeline before things return to normal again.

Extreme hardship will soon be evident.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic