Setting up a CC or IP video camera

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Setting up a CC or IP video camera

Post by Tarndog »

I'm planning on returning to my native country for a couple weeks and though it'd be wise to set up a camera outside my home to record any unwanted visitors or criminal activity that might occur during my absence.

Does anyone have experience setting up surveillance cameras? I've heard that a second smartphone with camera can be used as the recording device, but don't know anyone who's done it. It might be risky to put a smartphone outside where it could be stolen, but I suppose I could put it facing the door inside my home, too, thus mitigating this problem.

I'd like to be able to monitor it from my Android smartphone while I'm away. But I don't know how to set it up.

Anyone willing to share their expertise would be much appreciated!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Setting up a CC or IP video camera

Post by khmerhamster »

I suppose my question is why?
What will you do from thousands of miles away if you see anything untoward.
I say just enjoy your trip and pretend/hope that everything is good back here. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I put up cctv camera in my office location and I think the fact that the cameras can be seen is a deterrent. We never look at the recording - actually, surprisingly, never had the need to.
Hiding a smartphone doesn't give a visible deterrent. And also a smartphone camera will be crap at nighttime when most of robbing is done.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Setting up a CC or IP video camera

Post by pczz »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:55 pm I'm planning on returning to my native country for a couple weeks and though it'd be wise to set up a camera outside my home to record any unwanted visitors or criminal activity that might occur during my absence.

Does anyone have experience setting up surveillance cameras? I've heard that a second smartphone with camera can be used as the recording device, but don't know anyone who's done it. It might be risky to put a smartphone outside where it could be stolen, but I suppose I could put it facing the door inside my home, too, thus mitigating this problem.

I'd like to be able to monitor it from my Android smartphone while I'm away. But I don't know how to set it up.

Anyone willing to share their expertise would be much appreciated!
Be careful where you point the camera. it can only cover your proerty, nt the street or neighbours or you will likely get in more trouble than its worth
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic