Gibbons roaming around Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gibbons roaming around Phnom Penh

Post by Ravensnest »

Here are two unedited videos of them

Still here, in country...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

more please
fab!
denethor
Tourist

Post by denethor »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 am Here are two unedited videos of them

Great videos. I saw that pair the other day. Not sure if the dark adult is a male or a female?

Like you had said, the brown sugar kid is quite independent. He nicked a banana off a peddler's rooftop and caused quite a ruckus lol.

I could watch those two and their shenanigans all day long.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

denethor wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:28 pm Great videos. I saw that pair the other day. Not sure if the dark adult is a male or a female?
The Pileated Gibbon has sexual dimorphism in fur coloration: males have a purely black fur, while the females have a white-grey colored fur with only the belly and head black.
Wiki
Silence, exile, and cunning.
denethor
Tourist

Post by denethor »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 pm
denethor wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:28 pm Great videos. I saw that pair the other day. Not sure if the dark adult is a male or a female?
The Pileated Gibbon has sexual dimorphism in fur coloration: males have a purely black fur, while the females have a white-grey colored fur with only the belly and head black.
Wiki
That's what I thought. So this is the dad with the kid. I've met the dad a few times by himself.

Maybe it's just the dad and the kid, no mom around. Sad. But nice to see they're still having fun. Pretty good playground. Enough cables to swing around town, with tamarind and mango trees along the route for snacking.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, I was very surprised the first time I saw them opposite my bank on Mao Tse Tung. I took a few photos but my camera was a bit crap and they don't sit still too much. I've seen the green peacocks and hornbills around too. There are parts of that block/area that have plenty of trees and there's a big open space behind the Intercon but other parts are busy as hell, like that street with all the schools on it. It's amazing having animals like that that can roam safely enough. My family used to keep a lot of birds and pigeons and some doves were the only ones I'd expect to come back. I had a roof blow off part of an aviary in a storm, the Cockatiels just stayed there clinging to the wire and the Ring Necks flew off and came back later. The African Gray that we have had for about 30 years isn't let outside too much, last time I did it he flew over the house and I was worried he'd never be seen again (he was in the neighbor's front garden).
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

denethor wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:54 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 pm
Wiki
That's what I thought. So this is the dad with the kid. I've met the dad a few times by himself.

Maybe it's just the dad and the kid, no mom around. Sad. But nice to see they're still having fun. Pretty good playground. Enough cables to swing around town, with tamarind and mango trees along the route for snacking.
I've been thinking about that too since reading the wiki again. I guess she is just a small female. she is a lot smaller than he is and I suppose he doesn't like to let her get too far out of sight. perhaps that's why she seems to be independent of him.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 pm Yeah, I was very surprised the first time I saw them opposite my bank on Mao Tse Tung. I took a few photos but my camera was a bit crap and they don't sit still too much. I've seen the green peacocks and hornbills around too. There are parts of that block/area that have plenty of trees and there's a big open space behind the Intercon but other parts are busy as hell, like that street with all the schools on it. It's amazing having animals like that that can roam safely enough. My family used to keep a lot of birds and pigeons and some doves were the only ones I'd expect to come back. I had a roof blow off part of an aviary in a storm, the Cockatiels just stayed there clinging to the wire and the Ring Necks flew off and came back later. The African Gray that we have had for about 30 years isn't let outside too much, last time I did it he flew over the house and I was worried he'd never be seen again (he was in the neighbor's front garden).
I don't understand how the owner lets them roam loose like that. I'd worry about them too. they use the power lines as a highway and in my mind, they must be playing Russian roulette unknowingly. surely those wires must claim one at some point.

I'm convinced that the female is a juvenile from looking at adult pictures. she's really small.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Amazing videos, thank you!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am
I don't understand how the owner lets them roam loose like that. I'd worry about them too. they use the power lines as a highway and in my mind, they must be playing Russian roulette unknowingly. surely those wires must claim one at some point.

Most of those lines are just telecom/ cable TV/ ISP connections or just redundant. The power lines are usually double insulated unless you are too close to a transformer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic