Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I have it on very good authority Indonesia is about to close its borders to anyone from France, Spain, Germany, UK, Swiss and Italy .
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Some updates and some repeated travel news for SEA posted today:

SE Asia countries broaden travel bans
By TTG Asia
/ Posted on 17 March, 2020 12:28

Cambodia is the latest in a growing list of South-east Asian countries which are introducing bans on travel from Europe and the UK, as governments struggle to contain the spread of Covid-19.

Cambodia has banned entry of travellers from five countries – Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the US – for 30 days starting today (March 17), as Phnom Penh records two new infections on Friday.
More South-east Asian countries are imposing bans on travellers from Europe; Passengers arriving at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport being screened using a thermal scanner pictured

In addition, the country has urged its citizens to refrain from travelling to Europe, the US and Iran. All government officials and citizens returning from Europe, the US, and Iran are also required to self-quarantine for 14-days, in accordance to the procedures set by the Ministry of Health.

In addition, all international river cruises are banned from entering Cambodia from March 13 until further notice.

Since March 15, Vietnam has banned travellers with a travel history to the UK, Northern Ireland and Schengen countries in the past 14 days. The ban will last for 30 days.

Vietnam’s government has also suspending the issuance of visas on arrival to travellers from all countries for a month. The ban excludes diplomatic and business travellers, but they face health checks and possible quarantines, said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a statement.

The decision follows Vietnam’s suspension of visa waivers for people from the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden. As well, travellers from South Korea and Italy are required to obtain a visa from an embassy ahead of arrival.

From March 16, Sri Lanka will also not allow people arriving from the UK or who have travelled through the UK into the country.

As well, the Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential travel to the country.

Elsewhere, Malaysia has also widened its ban to include seven provinces in Italy, Japan and Iran. The areas are Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia-Romagna in Italy; Hokkaido in Japan; as well as Tehran, Qom and Gilan in Iran.

Under the ban, visitors who have been to those cities or provinces within 14 days of their arrival to Malaysia will be barred from entering the country.
https://www.ttgasia.com/2020/03/17/se-a ... avel-bans/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Travel to China:
Starting March 16, most new arrivals in Beijing, China’s capital, have had to undergo a 14-day quarantine at a designated hotel or other assigned location. Previously new arrivals could spend their quarantine at home, but officials said the new rules would only allow that option for limited cases.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronav ... tions.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

For what it's worth: I flew from Saigon to Bangkok yesterday. Fastest, most painless operation ever.

At VN Air check-in at SGN, I was asked if I had been to China or Italy. No and no. Less than half the immigration desks were open and only five-six people in front of me. Nearly everyone wearing masks, as politely demanded by the government. Officers now have heavy plastic (?) screens. Hand the passport around it and remove your mask.

Zipped through security, then straight to the smoking room at gates 21-25. Damn, two hours to wait. I was worried about further screening and official questions to delay matters, but no worries.

Of course, these gates mean you're busing to the plane. Damn, there's a good spot to pass around unwanted body guests. All VN Air staff wore big plastic bags. No, on their hands. LOL. VN Air had blocked out every second row on the Airbus 321. Maybe 40-50% capacity. Box lunch. Ugh.

Got to BKK Airport very early. 6 pm instead of 6:30 pm. I had printed out the new Thai health declaration form in Vietnam from the THAI Air web site. Filled it in and what do you know, almost no one else had. I was third in line to hand it to a brown shirt. My travel history was TH-VN-TH, so I passed. That new form duplicates everything on the Arrival card. WTF? And the inspection officer never signed or stamped it, or took my copy. 2xWTF. Just waved me on to a largely empty immigration area.

From the immigration ramp to grabbing my bag at the carrousel, with ATM and Duty Free visits in the middle, took approximately 15-20 minutes.

Happy travels!
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Arriving in Vietnam, HCMC Than Son Nhat airport will show a ghost town at baggage claim. Previously (before the ban/retraction of visas) only foreigners arriving from Covid-19 affected areas were put in 14 day quarantaine which did not apply to Vietnamese nationals, now everybody has to. Facility in Cu Chi is a military hospital. No luxury, just bunkbeds and shared bathrooms. The provided food does not look too bad though. Note that it is not voluntary, refusing or escaping is an offense that delivers a 6 month prison sentence.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm For what it's worth: I flew from Saigon to Bangkok yesterday. Fastest, most painless operation ever.

At VN Air check-in at SGN, I was asked if I had been to China or Italy. No and no. Less than half the immigration desks were open and only five-six people in front of me. Nearly everyone wearing masks, as politely demanded by the government. Officers now have heavy plastic (?) screens. Hand the passport around it and remove your mask.

Zipped through security, then straight to the smoking room at gates 21-25. Damn, two hours to wait. I was worried about further screening and official questions to delay matters, but no worries.

Of course, these gates mean you're busing to the plane. Damn, there's a good spot to pass around unwanted body guests. All VN Air staff wore big plastic bags. No, on their hands. LOL. VN Air had blocked out every second row on the Airbus 321. Maybe 40-50% capacity. Box lunch. Ugh.

Got to BKK Airport very early. 6 pm instead of 6:30 pm. I had printed out the new Thai health declaration form in Vietnam from the THAI Air web site. Filled it in and what do you know, almost no one else had. I was third in line to hand it to a brown shirt. My travel history was TH-VN-TH, so I passed. That new form duplicates everything on the Arrival card. WTF? And the inspection officer never signed or stamped it, or took my copy. 2xWTF. Just waved me on to a largely empty immigration area.

From the immigration ramp to grabbing my bag at the carrousel, with ATM and Duty Free visits in the middle, took approximately 15-20 minutes.

Happy travels!
Same experience here, flew from PNH to BKK yesterday. Plane filled maybe 40-50%, not no freed up rows. Everyone entering the plane was offered hand gel (one shot) and a mask. No checks whatsoever at Phnom Penh airport.

Bangkok airport very quiet, temperature scanners at the entrance of immigration.
Hardly anyone waiting there, despite coming in at 10.30 which usually is very busy. No one asked for a medical declaration, but border control checked the whereabouts in passport before allowing me in. Would I have flown in from Europe I would probably have been denied.

When I entered the Airport Rail my temperature was checked by a person wearing a N95 mask and surgical glasses. No more checks afterwards. I'd say 90% of everyone here is wearing masks. Desinfection gels sold out everywhere but you can find them on nearly every counter / entrance so no need to bring your own.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

From ABC Aust -

Australians should return home from overseas due to coronavirus as countries issue travel bans, DFAT says
Updated 8 minutes ago

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued advice recommending Australians abroad who wish to return home do so as soon as possible via commercial flights.

The recommendation comes after the Federal Government last week urged Australians to consider whether overseas travel was necessary regardless of the destination.

DFAT is warning Australian travellers that they may not be able to return home at a later stage with more countries closing their borders due to the rapid spread of coronavirus.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/ ... s/12065050

Suspect that they will be shutting down the borders/country soon
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:13 pm I have it on very good authority Indonesia is about to close its borders to anyone from France, Spain, Germany, UK, Swiss and Italy .
10. Third, migrants / travelers who within the last 14 days visited the countries below are not permitted to enter / transit to Indonesia. These countries are:
a. Iran;
b. Italy;
c. Vatican;
d. Spanish;
e. France;
f. German;
g. Switzerland;
h. English

5.Regarding foreign visitors from all countries, the Government of Indonesia has decided that the Visa Free Arrival (BVK), Visa on Arrival and Free Diplomatic / Service Visa policies are suspended for 1 month.

https://kemlu.go.id/portal/id/read/1135 ... zOOLO1J7wc
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Qantas and Jetstar have cancelled 90% of their flights.
Basically grounding themselves.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm Qantas and Jetstar have cancelled 90% of their flights.
Basically grounding themselves.
What's happening with Air Asia ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic