Gutter language on the forum

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:22 am
chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 pm Why do so many contributors to this website feel the need to revert to language of the gutter in order to express an opinion. Does Cambodia attract a disproportionate amount of expats suffering from Tourette's syndrome, is there something in the water which provokes this reaction or is it simply a lack of basic vocabulary?
Not quite sure about online forums, but in general life, there is a high correlation between intelligence and the amount of swearing, the less intelligent you are, the more likely you are to swear in everyday conversation.

These people lack a basic vocabulary to speak normally, and don't have the intelligence to understand that most people find such language offensive and inappropriate
That's absolute nonsense. I doubt you have ever actually met anyone important if you believe that bollocks. You come across as someone who is trying a little to hard to seem "respectable". And that is suspicious.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-i ... scientists
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm There is swearing that is just used for emphasis/ humor that is not directed at anyone in particular, I don't see the issue with that. I would imagine most swearing directed at anyone in particular (on this forum) will probably come to the attention of mods and be deleted. Women swear too FFS. If anything puts women off posting here I would guess it would be the sheer misogyny displayed by certain posters, their commodification of human beings and that kind of thing. It's ironic when you read which posters object to bad language yet keep espousing a whore-monger's life style. Not trying to judge but is it really something to aspire to or promote?
Yea, generally agree with this. The putting down of women, Khmer women in particular, is pretty tiring. I normally choose not to get involved with it, though to any Cambodians / women who read the forum, and there are a few, it can't look welcoming. I know my wife occasionally scans over some of the topics and has no inclination to actually post, she couldn't give less of a shit about any swearing.

The mysogyny here doesn't paint male expats here in a great light, I find it a bit embarrassing really.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

chiltern wrote:Why do so many contributors to this website feel the need to revert to language of the gutter in order to express an opinion. Does Cambodia attract a disproportionate amount of expats suffering from Tourette's syndrome, is there something in the water which provokes this reaction or is it simply a lack of basic vocabulary?
Who the fuck knows. We don't have any rules on vocabulary, but we do expect people to be somewhat fucking civil to each other, that's all.

I agree that it can add extra stress to what you are saying sometimes.

If I said 'use the report button' it sounds more like general advice, but if I said 'use the fucking report button' it might come off as me being a bit annoyed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 pm Why do so many contributors to this website feel the need to revert to language of the gutter in order to express an opinion. Does Cambodia attract a disproportionate amount of expats suffering from Tourette's syndrome, is there something in the water which provokes this reaction or is it simply a lack of basic vocabulary?
It's proportionally representative of their upbringing and quality of education.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

If you want to be. A snob pussy asshole, may I suggest Thai Visa.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Language

Post by WildA »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:21 pm When i swear it is often just literary laziness.
Swear words are mostly used to express an emotion, or as an emotional reaction.
For this purpose the are very inadequate.

"I'm fucked" tells you very little.
I am tired, stressed out and frustrated gives a much clearer description.
'You are a shit" is not nearly as effective as "you are a lying, conniving fraud" or whatever. If you nail exactly why the person is on the nose i reckon it carries much more weight.

On the other hand they can be used with great effectiveness to emphasise a point - but only if used sparingly.
Just my way of looking at it.

There is also the issue of offending people.
No right or wrongs - but fact is, many people are offended by some language.
Many women, eg, are offended by the c word.
You can take that on board and respect these cultural differences - or can choose to just ignore them and lay down your own cultural values without respecting others.
Personally i reckon it is one of the reasons we have so few regular women members on CEO - not just the languge but the way some members talk about women generally.
Actually, gutter mouth lingo can tell you a lot if taken in context. Here try this:

It was a dark and stormy night. I jumped into my Camaro, fired up a spliff, hit the start button and started headbangin as Nickleback began screaming therough the speakers. Leaving 8 feet of rubber, I pulled out into the road. Hitting 120, I saw the bubblegums lit up behind me. Shit. I had a kilo in the trunk, a lit one in my hand and if the Popo got me I would be well and truly fucked.

So I jammed the pedal to the metal.

Thats pretty clear huh
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

numacsys wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:53 am
It's proportionally representative of their upbringing and quality of education.
BULLSHIT :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Language

Post by Captain Bonez »

WildA wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:28 amhit the start button and started headbangin as Nickleback began screaming therough the speakers
Jesus titty fucking Christ :cunt:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Cuntingassfuck!
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

Can you guys stop the f**king gutter language, I'm pissing myself laughing here. Best thread ,keep it up 🤭😉
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic