Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Gator »

The world has gone mad. #fuckchina
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

When the dust settles three to six months from now and the death toll from this virus will be a small fraction of a yearly death toll of seasonal flu, will people say to themselves “What have we done destroying entire industries and reverting the last twenty (hopefully only twenty) years of economic progress? How could we go nuts like this over a... flu?”
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:36 pm When the dust settles three to six months from now and the death toll from this virus will be a small fraction of a yearly death toll of seasonal flu, will people say to themselves “What have we done destroying entire industries and reverting the last twenty (hopefully only twenty) years of economic progress? How could we go nuts like this over a... flu?”
Well, as everyone who reads my posts on this subject will know, I find the measures taken worldwide way, way over the top. However, at the same time I also acknowledge this is not the normal variant of a seasonal flu.

What I hate is that the people of the world apparently cannot simply give in to nature and say: OK, let this just run its course, it will make lots and lots of casualties, but hey, that's the way it is.

If not, nature will have an even stronger counter-attack in place in a few years. Which, by the way, may not be a bad thing. If humans refuse to listen...
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

This is just 5,5 on the Richter scale and we can learn a lot from that and maybe be better prepared for the 8,0 one.
To be honest I find it quite fascinating what is going on because every day things are happening that most people thought were impossible. Like 550years when people were just sailing westward into the unknown.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

The greater the number of people infected,the greater the chance of this virus mutating into something even more deadly.Virus changes all the time,this is what they are concerned about.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

andy1 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 am The greater the number of people infected,the greater the chance of this virus mutating into something even more deadly.Virus changes all the time,this is what they are concerned about.
The greater the number of people infected,the greater the chance of this virus mutating into something harmless. Virus changes all the time,this is what they are concerned about.

Can go both ways.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Here is some sense being said about this worldwide scam of a situation happening. Read the whole page.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115370 ... /#comments
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:36 pm When the dust settles three to six months from now and the death toll from this virus will be a small fraction of a yearly death toll of seasonal flu,

How could we go nuts like this over a... flu?”
The average death toll worldwide from the common flu runs at around 45,000
As of 4 hours ago this virus had killed 6,600
and it has only just got a toe hold in the vast majority of countries,
and is 10 times (WHO estimates) as contagious as the common flu.

I am currently managing a residential hotel where most of the residents are very bright, they take this seriously and have started using the hand rub many times a day. eg

A few idiots are saying "social media crap - i wash my hand after i go to the toilet, flock off and don't bother me with this crap"
They are the ones who most likely are going to introduce the virus into this place and kill perhaps 20% of the over 60's here
simply because the refuse to accept the word of the experts.
Carry themselves like heroes they do.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 am The average death toll worldwide from the common flu runs at around 45,000
Wrong. You forgot to add one “0”.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza
and is 10 times (WHO estimates) as contagious as the common flu.
If so, hundreds of millions have been infected since December. Where are casualties, at least on the level of a normal flu? You don’t need to switch off your logic even when you listen to “experts”.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You are right H-8. Mea Culpa
The USA centric Google gave me US figures on a number of sites without making that clear.

Nevertheless -three questions for you
Does the common flu swamp the hospitals in Italy every year, with people being turned away and dying in the parking lots?
Do you reckon the big-biz centric Western governments introduce all these biz-killing measures if they thought it was not a mega issue?
Do you think virtually all the doctors and the scientists in the world are wrong in urging governments to do even more?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic