Coronavirus - the ultimate cure for an aging population

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus - the ultimate cure for an aging population

Post by AzalKH »

My grandparents, all in their 90s and living in their own homes with pensions (not got any form of dementia or the like), started self isolating a week ago or so. They are quite scared about this and I worry for them too.

Fortunately they're in small rural communities and have a local volunteer doing their groceries for them.

I certainly don't want to see them go and they definitely don't want to go. It would be pretty macabre to wish / hope for a wiping out of the elderly.

On another note the British government has suggested that within a couple of weeks all 70+ year olds would be recommended to self isolate.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It’s a hoax only the elderly with underlying diseases die from this disease, or need serious interventions. In my country 52% of the people in ICU kept alive by a ventilator are younger than 50 and the youngest is a 16 yo boy. That’s one teenager in about 50 admitted to the ICU. Might be bad luck, but Italy shows similar reports more and more young people need ICU support.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 am It’s a hoax only the elderly with underlying diseases die from this disease, or need serious interventions. In my country 52% of the people in ICU kept alive by a ventilator are younger than 50 and the youngest is a 16 yo boy. That’s one teenager in about 50 admitted to the ICU. Might be bad luck, but Italy shows similar reports more and more young people need ICU support.
I wasn't intending to undermine the evidence that every demographic is at risk, that wasn't my point, and I hope you didn't read it as such. The mortality rates are (until now in the UK at least) proven heavier the older the infectant, especially those with other health issues, and of course a weaker immune system (also prevalent in younger children). It's always hard to sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to news.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AzalKH wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:52 pm My grandparents, all in their 90s and living in their own homes with pensions (not got any form of dementia or the like), started self isolating a week ago or so. They are quite scared about this and I worry for them too.

Fortunately they're in small rural communities and have a local volunteer doing their groceries for them.

I certainly don't want to see them go and they definitely don't want to go. It would be pretty macabre to wish / hope for a wiping out of the elderly.

On another note the British government has suggested that within a couple of weeks all 70+ year olds would be recommended to self isolate.
Same here, Azal. My parents started self-isolating about a week ago. Although they don't say it, it is obvious that they are really worried by the whole thing. They're typically stoic, and just get on with things, but even I can see the change in their demeanour. Likewise, I worry for them too. I haven't heard or read the word "macabre" for quite some time, but I think you hit the nail right on the head with that word. I wish your grandparents well!!

Latest news that it is possible that UK Govt. will recommend over 70's to self-isolate for up to 4 months. In other news, I think I will have to hide any sharp knives in the house. My parents in the same space for 4 consecutive months without a break is going to end in murder!!! :o
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 am It’s a hoax only the elderly with underlying diseases die from this disease, or need serious interventions. In my country 52% of the people in ICU kept alive by a ventilator are younger than 50 and the youngest is a 16 yo boy. That’s one teenager in about 50 admitted to the ICU. Might be bad luck, but Italy shows similar reports more and more young people need ICU support.
Could that be due to the availability of ventilators? If a 16 kid needs a ventilator and would most likely live another 60-70 odd years, then you'll probably pick him over the 75 year old who's already had that time and might not survive even with a ventilator. I believe that's the situation the Italian medical professionals have been struggling through.

This could skew the numbers with regards to ventilators. That said, it is clear that older adults are far more susceptible and that for many children they exhibit no signs of illness at all.

This is a virus which is more severe in adults the more they age, and other health complications will also compound things.

Speaking of which, I can't be the only one wondering what happens when we have dengue season and COVID-19 at the same time. I had the former last year and the way my white blood cell levels tanked (40% of normal levels), the impact of having COVID-19 at the same time would be life threatening to say the least.

Edit: A quick search to satisfy my curiosity about dengue/COVID-19 and I found this:
https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/w ... ical-tests

Seems COVID-19 can return false positives for dengue.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Anchor Moy and Yerg's posts encapsulate both sides of this terrible terrible dilemma.
But this is relevant not just to this pandemic but to modern health care generally.
Costs of modern medicine are spiralling and unsustainable - something has to give.
But who is going to say No! to their parents/children/themselves when it comes to accessing highest level, and highest cost, medical treatment?

Do we have a Solomon in the room?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic