Foreign Man Died After Jumping from Kampot Bridge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Foreign Man Died After Jumping from Kampot Bridge

Post by Anchor Moy »

Andy S Tawatin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:59 pm I have a name, a witness ans a photograph of the guy in hospital. Are there any sources to the the story where this guy 'died'? There is one in Khmer where he was reported as seriously injured and sent to hospital and another in English which quotes a foreigner who says he gave CPR.
Would be a good thing to contact his brother-in -law then. send him a PM or something. His family must be worried shitless.
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

Have sent a message, I was there with the guys who sent him to hospital. He was alive then, and told he ran off a few hours later. Don't want to share the photos on here, but he said his name was (very Russian), just say Nick Verypopularbrandofvodka.

Can PM for more info and photos, but don't want to say too much.
Papamama
Tourist
Russia

Post by Papamama »

His name is Nikolai Smirnov. First attempt was unsuccessful, but he escaped the hospital and drowned himself in a barrel of water. My wife was phoned by consul, he confirmed brother's death.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Papamama wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 am His name is Nikolai Smirnov. First attempt was unsuccessful, but he escaped the hospital and drowned himself in a barrel of water. My wife was phoned by consul, he confirmed brother's death.

Wow, that is tragic.

R.I.P
Papamama
Tourist
Russia

Post by Papamama »

Does anyone know, where had he lived, what had he been doing? As I can see on photos, he jumped in river with all his goods and chattels.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Papamama wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:54 am Does anyone know, where had he lived, what had he been doing? As I can see on photos, he jumped in river with all his goods and chattels.
I don't know, but the immigration department should have records of where he was staying. The Russian consul may be able to help you with that. They (Immigration Dept) should also have kept any personal effects that were left by the deceased.
Or maybe try to contact some Russians living in Kampot ? (Try Kampot FB.)
Also, a poster here said that he/she knew a witness who saw your wife's brother at the hospital. Did you contact him/her ?
It can be really hard to get solid information out of Cambodia if you are not here, but I understand that the family would want to know a bit more about the circumstances of such a tragic death.

Condolences to you and your wife for your loss.
Papamama
Tourist
Russia

Post by Papamama »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Also, a poster here said that he/she knew a witness who saw your wife's brother at the hospital. Did you contact him/her ?

Yes, we contacted (at least with one of them). Actually, he was called to hospital like a translator, because Nikolai doesn't speak English. He didn't speak.

I have to ask. Who knows what does somebody know.
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm Condolences to you and your wife for your loss.
Thank you 😔
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Papamama wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 am His name is Nikolai Smirnov. First attempt was unsuccessful, but he escaped the hospital and drowned himself in a barrel of water. My wife was phoned by consul, he confirmed brother's death.
Da fuq. Whatever you want to say about him he seemed pretty determined.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Very sorry for your loss, that's a terrible outcome.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic