how many seats need to be sold for flight to not cancel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: how many seats need to be sold for flight to not cancel

Post by Duncan »

Arget wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:33 am
Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am with all those flights being cancelled I can see a big future in ships carrying passengers again.
Spoiler:
sorry my crystal ball is not working properly
You dick Duncan.....................you are using a snow globe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guess ?

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

A friend of mine flew Melbourne-Singapore in a Qantas A380 last week and she estimated it was only 40% full. But Qantas has announced they are grounding most of their A380s and re-routing SYD-SIN-LHR via Perth so they will be cramming everyone into 787s. And probably MEL-SIN-LHR as well at those numbers I guess.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

There is no simple answer to this question. Logistics often requires that planes be in specific places at specific times. So an airline may fly a nearly empty airplane if their only other option would be to deadhead a plane from another location to fill a route.

As a rule, an airline will cancel a flight if it costs them more to complete the flight than it does to cancel it. There is no simple calculation that can be made to translate that into passenger numbers. I have been on flights before with only 6 people because the airline required that plane for the following day and the flight simply couldn't be cancelled.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Don't forget the cargo the plane is carrying may also affect it
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

atst wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 am Don't forget the cargo the plane is carrying may also affect it
Especially if it's clutched beforehand.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ban! ^^
(karma)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:05 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 am Frankly, nobody knows what the situation will be like in August. The virus is getting worse in Europe and the US. US citizens may well be be in lockdown by that time. There could be a global ban on non-essential travel. Impossible to say.
I have a flight booked for next month, but it's too soon to say if I will take it or not. The present status is wait and see.
I have a flight to Bangkok planned on Monday, with a return on Friday, and I don't know if I will be able to go, and I don't know if I will be able to come back if I do go.

My employer is considering buying an extra return ticket for Wednesday to cover for the risk of Cambodia closing its' borders for more nationalities (which would be useless, but common sense in Cambodia went down the drain last January already with respect to this virus issue).

The situation is so fluid now, it's hard to even predict what will happen tomorrow.
Gte a chinese passport. they wont ban them :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic