Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the US (Update: now lifted)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the United States

Post by yongchi »

Here is what Singapore does:
https://www.gov.sg/article/covid-19-tra ... -singapore
"France, Germany, Italy and Spain [updated 13 Mar 2020]

From 15 March 2020, 2359 hours, all new visitors with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into or transit through Singapore.

For Singapore residents and long-term pass holders with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days, they will be issued a Stay-Home Notice (SHN). Under the SHN, they will have to remain in their place of residence at all times for a 14-day period after returning to Singapore.

For more details, refer to MOH’s travel advisory.

They don't shy away from Asia either:
"Iran and the Republic of Korea [updated 3 Mar 2020]....."

"Mainland China....."

I presume it won't take long before the US ends up on that list as well.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the United States

Post by cautious colin »

yongchi wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:36 pm Personally, I think denying entry to people with a certain travel history needs to be done.
I sincerely hope Cambodia gets it right.

Completely agree. If thats what they have done/are doing, I think they have made right decision.

could be more clarity though.

Also surprised it doesn’t include UK too, growing at a rate not too much different to the ones banned.
From 15 March 2020, 2359 hours, all new visitors with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into or transit through Singapore.

For Singapore residents and long-term pass holders with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days, they will be issued a Stay-Home Notice (SHN). Under the SHN, they will have to remain in their place of residence at all times for a 14-day period after returning to Singapore.
Cambodia, take note, that’s clarity
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 pm As I initially suspected, the bans is for travellers coming from (Source: US Embassy)

Dude, just say you don't know.

Say "I don't now"

Even the US Embassy is saying "we don't know."

You're the only one making broad declarations in bold that you know exactly what it means.

This may be a ban on passport holders from the affected countries, regardless of travel history.

People should know this is a possibility. I actually believe it's a probability that's how they will enforce it.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

What a mess... my partner is in Cambodia and I'm in Thailand. Now I need to decide whether to go to Cambodia by Monday or stay in Thailand.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:47 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 pm As I initially suspected, the bans is for travellers coming from (Source: US Embassy)

Dude, just say you don't know.

Say "I don't now"

Even the US Embassy is saying "we don't know."

You're the only one making broad declarations in bold that you know exactly what it means.

This may be a ban on passport holders from the affected countries, regardless of travel history.

People should know this is a possibility. I actually believe it's a probability that's how they will enforce it.
I'm not claiming to know it all and am making no assumptions...the US Embassy released the below statement which is pretty clear...
1. On March 14, 2020, the Cambodian authorities announced that foreigners traveling from the following countries will not be allowed to enter Cambodia: the United States, Italy, Germany, Spain, and France.
What is not yet clear though, is whether the travel ban also applies to ALL Nationals from those countries, regardless of their travel history.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Khmer thinking "the passport you hold makes you a potential carrier not where you travel from"
Amazing :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

finding needles in stacks of needles!

Post by Freightdog »

atst wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:58 am Khmur thinking "the passport you hold makes you a potential carrier not where you travel from"
Amazing :facepalm:
My guess is that it will be a bit of both. Set aside any internal bias towards or against any particular country that you may have.

Unless you want incredible misery with massive queues, there is no way that one country is going to be able to reliably vet every single person, case by case, to establish whether they are being open and honest or even accurate about their prior travel itinerary. It would be an insurmountable task.

So, a blanket ban based on Passport/Nationality is probably going to be the least manpower intensive measure, to restrict the greatest number of people from a region perceived to pose a higher risk.
Yes; they are going to unjustly include many people in the process.

But also restricting travel based on people’s proven recent travel is also going to be of interest, and having just imposed a blanket ban on a huge number of potential ‘suspects’, you’ve reduced the number of people that need to be scrutinized.

If they restrict ALL Italian passport holders for instance, they surely have a good chance of stopping Italians from hotspot regions from entering. Now, all that they need to do is find those other travellers from non hotspot regions who happen to have recently travelled through Italian hotspot regions.

It ain’t pretty, and it may not even be effective at this stage. Maybe it’s just being seen to be doing something.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:16 pm All people travelling from those countries are banned, no matter what Nationality - The ban is based on travel history...not on Nationality.

It is not actually clear on whether those whose Nationality is one of the 5 countries are banned from entering Cambodia.

Get what I'm saying now?
:thumb: you might,(Yea might) be correct but this states Americans
American citizens traveling in the region who wish to travel or return to Cambodia in the near-term should make every effort to do so before this 30-day suspension of entry goes into effect on March 17, 2020.
Nothing about if they have been to the states recently.
PLUS
Americans are NOT stamped in or out of the states so, they would have no idea if you had been there the day before or 8 years ago. Not sure an individuals travel history is available on there computers at immigration.

just another not accurate announcement form the goverment :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic