Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Note that the UK is excluded from this travel ban to the US. However, recent coronavirus infections in SEA arrived from on a flight from the UK to Vietnam.

Coronavirus: What you need to know about Trump's US travel ban from Europe
What's included in the ban?
Trump said the US administration would restrict "all travel" to the US from continental Europe, which is reeling from the epidemic, for the next 30 days. The United Kingdom is exempted.

How will this affect Americans travelling from Europe?
The Department of Homeland Security will issue a notice in the next 48 hours "requiring US passengers that have been" travelling in parts of Europe to "travel through select airports where the US Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures", said Acting Secretary Chad Wolf. No word yet which airports are included or what those screening procedures might be.

When does the ban take effect?
Midnight Friday local time (5pm Friday NZT).

Is there another way to catch a flight from Europe to the US?
The UK exemption opens a lot of possibilities for connecting flights to the continent. London Heathrow is the one of the world's busiest connecting hubs.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... rom-europe
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Joolsd wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm Hi,
I have to do a boarder run because I have already extended my one month. But I heard the Vietnam boarder is closed so where is the best place to go right now? Which boarder is open and the quickest?

I only have four days so it's pretty urgent.

Any info appreciated

Thx
Julian
You should be ok for Thailand or Laos borders.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I am feeling very lucky that I was able to get back from the USA on January 20th...I had an 8 hour layover in Seattle and changed planes in Hong Kong.
Siem Reap is a bit worried and being proactive of late...My Canadia bank even had alcohol at the ATM as did Psar Angkor...at checkout and front door.
My travel plans are on hold...My plans to go back to the USA to finish some personal business were already on hold before this latest outbreak and clusterfuck of flight and visa cancellations..
I have almost 6 months left on my visa extension...
The regular flu that the USA has this time of year has killed about 15,000 people in the last 5 months...
Not one word of this fact from cnn...msnbc...etc..
A lot of scare tactics..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

8m ago 00:36
Uki Goñi
Argentina is going into virtual shutdown with the announced suspension of the arrival of all flights from the US, EU, UK, China, South Korea, Japan and Iran for the next 30 days. The measure goes into force starting tomorrow Friday. It’s not clear yet what will happen with flights already on their way to Argentina today arriving Friday.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... pdate-news
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I want to travel to Saigon in June - flying from Vientiane. 3 days in HCMC. Then stop in PP for two days on the way back to Vientiane. Is anyone aware of the latest travel news on Vietnam (entering from Laos) and Cambodia (entering from Vietnam) and then Laos (entering from Cambodia)?

:thumb:
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 am I want to travel to Saigon in June - flying from Vientiane. 3 days in HCMC. Then stop in PP for two days on the way back to Vientiane. Is anyone aware of the latest travel news on Vietnam (entering from Laos) and Cambodia (entering from Vietnam) and then Laos (entering from Cambodia)?

:thumb:
With things changing on a daily basis if you aren't going until June I think I'd wait until closer to the time to see what the restrictions or otherwise are. I'm going to Hanoi next month and I'm now just hoping it's the airline that cancels due to lack of demand and I get the bonus of my money back.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I haven't booked my flights yet but with things seeming to get worse I might hold fire. Although flight prices might drop. Provided Vietnam and Cambodia allow people in I still intend to travel.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Duterte orders Manila lockdown from Sunday
Land, sea and air travel to and from capital suspended until April 14
CLIFF VENZON, Nikkei staff writer
March 13, 2020 01:15 JST

MANILA -- Metropolitan Manila will go into lockdown on Sunday to contain the spreading coronavirus outbreak in the country, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday.

Land transport as well as domestic sea and air travel to and from Metro Manila will be suspended through April 14, the president said, adding that the situation will be reviewed daily.

Metro Manila, home to around 13 million people, is the Philippine commercial capital and generates over one-third of the country's gross domestic product. It was not immediately clear how the travel suspension would be enforced, as thousands of workers from nearby provinces travel to the capital for work daily. The president encouraged flexible work arrangements for the private sector.

Duterte ordered a "community quarantine" in Metro Manila, as well as similar quarantine measures in areas outside the capital with at least two cases of COVID-19. Suspension of school classes in Metro Manila is also extended until April 12 while mass gatherings are prohibited, the president said.

"They are afraid to call it a lockdown, but it is a lockdown," Duterte said in a televised address from Malanacang Palace. "It is a matter of protecting and defending you from COVID-19."

March 13, 2020 01:15 JST
Commuters wear protective face masks as they queue to get into a train in Manila on March 11. © Reuters

MANILA -- Metropolitan Manila will go into lockdown on Sunday to contain the spreading coronavirus outbreak in the country, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday.

Land transport as well as domestic sea and air travel to and from Metro Manila will be suspended through April 14, the president said, adding that the situation will be reviewed daily.

Metro Manila, home to around 13 million people, is the Philippine commercial capital and generates over one-third of the country's gross domestic product. It was not immediately clear how the travel suspension would be enforced, as thousands of workers from nearby provinces travel to the capital for work daily. The president encouraged flexible work arrangements for the private sector.

Duterte ordered a "community quarantine" in Metro Manila, as well as similar quarantine measures in areas outside the capital with at least two cases of COVID-19. Suspension of school classes in Metro Manila is also extended until April 12 while mass gatherings are prohibited, the president said.

"They are afraid to call it a lockdown, but it is a lockdown," Duterte said in a televised address from Malanacang Palace. "It is a matter of protecting and defending you from COVID-19."
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said metropolitan Manila will be on lockdown for a month. © Reuters

The drastic measures come as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the Philippines climbed to 52 on Thursday, up from five on March 6. Three more patients died Thursday, bringing the number of fatalities to five.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... rom-Sunday

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

j57 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 pm The regular flu that the USA has this time of year has killed about 15,000 people in the last 5 months...
Not one word of this fact from cnn...msnbc...etc..
A lot of scare tactics..
They haven't mentioned all the people who died from cancer in the past 5 months or who died from falling off ladders. It must a conspiracy.
Or maybe it's because these are regular occurrences and aren't spreading any more than normal so your logic is totally flawed :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Wow, Vietnam Airlines is down to ONE flight a day from Saigon to Bangkok, for the rest of the month. It's usually three, even four, flights: early morning, late morning, late afternoon and early evening.

I checked because my return leg to Bangkok late morning was combined with a 16:40 flight but I wanted the 11:20 am flight on any day. Only the single 16:40 flight all of March. That's a plunge and a half.

PS Update
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic