UK Passport renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

UK Passport renewal

Post by chinesetakeaway »

What is the quickest way to get this done? Website says 4 weeks when applying from overseas. Anyone with recent experience? Also if I apply online as if I'm in the UK do I need to attend an interview in person or will they send the new passport to a UK address?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK Passport renewal

Post by xandreu »

I renewed mine 2 years ago in PP. You just do it online and tell them you want to pick it up in PP. There's an office in a tower near the Olympic Stadium but I forget what it's called. You can collect it there. I think you have to pay a bit extra to have it sent there. I can't quite remember the full details but I don't remember any issues. Pretty easy process.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

If you are in UK you can apply online and have it sent to a UK address in a lot less time than 4 weeks.
There are a number of offices available depending on where you are in UK
You can also book an appointment and have the new passport within the day if you have urgent need.

If you do this in Phnom Penh it is done through the UK Visa Service company in Phnom Penh Tower.
Once you get an appointment (by online Request) it took me just around two weeks for the new passport to be sent back to the visa office in PP
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

jimpson wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 am If you are in UK you can apply online and have it sent to a UK address in a lot less time than 4 weeks.
There are a number of offices available depending on where you are in UK
You can also book an appointment and have the new passport within the day if you have urgent need.

If you do this in Phnom Penh it is done through the UK Visa Service company in Phnom Penh Tower.
Once you get an appointment (by online Request) it took me just around two weeks for the new passport to be sent back to the visa office in PP
In the Uk do you need to attend an interview?
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

If you apply in UK it can be done by post. There is no need for an interview,
Clearly if you need or want the "same day" service you need to attend in person.

Look up the UK Government website relating to passport renewal as it is very detailed as to what is available.
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

Are there any agencies in Phnom Penh that will do this passport renewal for me? I've run out of pages so will have nowhere for my visa to go in November?

Thank you in advance.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

SlackWaster wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:08 pm Are there any agencies in Phnom Penh that will do this passport renewal for me? I've run out of pages so will have nowhere for my visa to go in November?

Thank you in advance.
an option ---
A friend suggested below because I had same issue

steam off the visas that are already on the passport. The glue they use is pretty cheap and mine were falling and have "fallen off". I held onto the ones that fell off just in case. I then went to another agency (not the first place that told me not enough pages) and submitted passport etc and was fine. I was nervous but it worked out.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

read this https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports Ignore any other websites or agencies.
As instructed you book an appointment by email with VFS (in Phnom Penh Tower on Monivong) and then you turn up with the application form, payment by credit card form, photos, color photocopies of every page in your passport and any other docs specified on the website. It only took about 20 minutes at VFS when I went last October. My renewal took about 10 weeks as there is a backlog, you will get an email when it is ready to collect. You get to keep your current passport for ID purposes but you can't travel internationally with it.
BTW, the Embassy here don't have anything to do with renewals.
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

Than you Bluenose - that's perfect. Much appreciated, I think I've finally got it.

One more thing though - do I fill in the forms before the appointment, or do I go through them with the agent at the appointment?

Thanks in advance.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Good luck.

I'm not from UK but I remember reading on here some time back that the embassy doesn't give a rat's ass about their people here. Don't know if true or not.... Anyone want to chime in on this?
What, Me worry?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic