Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

Post by Soi Dog »

The local mobile ice cream vendor here plays a horrifically annoying chimes version of "Pop Goes the Weasel" all frickin' day every day. That can't be good for one's sanity.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

One cart lady over this way has a recording that says 'wah wah' repeatedly in a very bored voice.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Pop Goes the Weasel, Green Sleeves, Wah Wah or any other repetative cheesiness will no doubt test my metal and mentality.

Shit, I hope he doesn't want me to wear a fuckin' costume.

Remember kids, going to school has it's advantages. *heavy sigh*
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Are you kidding? Show me a kid that wouldn't love to be the Mr Whippy man in Australia!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Currently back in the west after fucking it all up in SEA stupendously (no orphan there it seems), I'm now forced to seek work in Australia for a few months during the course of each year so as to have enough to get by for the remainder in Cambodia, Indo, or where ever. I've found as I've aged, almost fifty and unskilled, it's more difficult to find work (I'm looking at driving an ice cream van this week - I kid you not) and as a consequence it's taking longer to get the money together for the return. One way in which to get back sooner is to trim up my usual monthly budget when I am in SEA, but as I already operate on $1000, I don't see how that can be reduced much without losing some semblance of a life.

Are any of you living a reasonable existence under a thousand dollars a month in Cambodia?
When I posted online about this 3 years ago, the cool crews surely thought I will be another statistic...well fast forward to the presence I am doing alright on around $400 mark and supporting a family of 3. Its just how you go about it, but don't expect the Western comfort. Maybe I am the odd one, no matter I go or live, I innately have the ''if they can do it so can i.''
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I innately have the ''if they can do it so can i.''

so true but if they had the means to live better they surely would!!

I did not leave the states 35 years ago to live like a local ( did that in africa) never again
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

phuketrichard wrote:I innately have the ''if they can do it so can i.''

so true but if they had the means to live better they surely would!!
I had 2 opportunities to enrich myself from the 2 ex heritage, dont know why I chose to walk to away and ended up with a poor chick.... Must be karma..love? :beer2:
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Dagenham, you are completely correct mate.I don't pay her a red cent, same as I wouldn't pay a girl in Oz to live with me. My girl works full time managing the music store down here and makes an extremely good wage. We live as a normal couple would in the west. If I'm short of cash, she happily pays, if she is short, I pay. Right now, after 12 months or so together, I think I owe her about $15! She also has never worked in a bar, so doesn't have that mentality. She only has one sibling, a brother who actually works and in a good job even by barang standards! And her mum owns a small farm in Prey Veng and is happily self sufficient. I have never and I repeat, never, been asked to give money to the family for sickness, dead buffalo's, relatives in jail or anything else. She doesn't pester me to buy her gold, clothes, take her on holidays over seas, take her out to dinner etc. She doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs and unlike any other Khmer girl I have met, she is not particularly sociable, as in she doesn't need to spend heaps of time with her friends and is quite happy to be at home with me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm the luckiest man in the world. Who knows what the future holds? I'm just enjoying what I have now!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Oh and about the smokes, I know that seems a high cost, but I smoke 2 -2 and 1/2 pcks of ARA red a day at .35 a pk. Gotta be the cheapest way to lung cancer money can buy!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ preach it, brother
Locked Previous topicNext topic