Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:58 am
hiway5 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am Trump has banned all flights from USA to Europe [ not UK ] for 30 days.
Source? Please clarify, flights FROM USA. Do you mean TO USA?

He made a speech tonight I heard. Anyone know where I can view it?
Update from reuters news here: post403938.html#p403934
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Electric Earth wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 pm It's interesting how some people keep saying "the flu kills xx,xxx people per year so corona is no big deal" as if the corona virus has had it's go and isn't going to continue killing thousands(likely tens-hundreds of thousands) for the rest of the year. The flu had a go at the entire worlds population, and you're comparing the number from an entire year to the new virus, which hasn't reached a Lot of the world yet, and is in it's very early days. No shit the flu has killed more people. Talk to me in nine months. I Bet you it gets a few more people between now and then...
The type of hysteria that makes this corona virus look sooooo bad.

"I Bet you it gets a few more people between now and then..."
Duh... but I bet it'll still be far off from the mildest of seasonal influenza death counts.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ireland closes schools and colleges
Lisa O'Carroll
Ireland’s taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has announced the closure of all schools, colleges and childcare facilities from tomorrow as part of a partial lockdown that will apply from 6pm tonight until 29 March.

All indoor gatherings of 100 people or more and outdoor gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled.

Public transport will still run and shops will remain open. He said:

I know that some of this is coming as a real shock. And it’s going to involve big changes in the way we live our lives. And I know that I’m asking people to make enormous sacrifices. But we’re doing it for each other.

Staff should work from home where possible with meetings online if possible.

Varadkar said he was acting on new medical advice the government had received following a meeting of the national emergency team last night.

“The virus is all over the world, it will continue to spread but it can be slowed,” he said in an address outside Blair House in Washington before a breakfast meeting with the US vice president Mike Pence.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... f56e4c72fb
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

frizzie77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 pm The type of hysteria that makes this corona virus look sooooo bad.

"I Bet you it gets a few more people between now and then..."
Duh... but I bet it'll still be far off from the mildest of seasonal influenza death counts.
lol Hysteria? What part of my post sounded like hysteria to you? It must have been all of the exclamation marks I used and my statements about the apocalypse? Talk about your typical "try to discredit someone by exaggerating what they said so it sounds ridiculous." argument...
It's a post of simple logic opposing the silly viewpoint of "Covid-19 is basically a harmless kitten to anyone except those already on their death beds. I believe this because the flu killed more people last year." That logic doesn't make any sense. To quote you "duh." Covid-19 hasn't even had a good chance yet compared to the flu.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

@Electric Earth I suppose we disagree on what makes a text hysterical and what constitutes simple logic.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Tom Hanks has it. World over.

Seriously, though, why bother worrying. Face up to it. What we're facing up to right now, actually is that yes, a deadly virus is going around, but we have no idea what it's ramifications are really going to be.

'At present, it is tempting to estimate the case fatality rate by dividing the number of known deaths by the number of confirmed cases. The resulting number, however, does not represent the true case fatality rate and might be off by orders of magnitude [...]

A precise estimate of the case fatality rate is therefore impossible at present.
Once an epidemic has ended, it is calculated with the formula: deaths / cases.

But while an epidemic is still ongoing, as it is the case with the current novel coronavirus outbreak, this formula is, at the very least, "naïve" and can be "misleading if, at the time of analysis, the outcome is unknown for a non negligible proportion of patients."'

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-rate/

This source uses peer reviewed references from professionals and is not just some guy on Medium looking at graphs and linking to news articles.

Calm down, every time you panic and augur it makes things worse. Take general precautions, stay updated, and quit being cowards.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

siliconlife wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 pm
Seriously, though, why bother worrying. Face up to it. What we're facing up to right now, actually is that yes, a deadly virus is going around, but we have no idea what it's ramifications are really going to be.
I agree. It seems to have gone rampant and I'm not sure there's much we can do about it anymore. Unless you live as a hermit in the desert it seems unlikely you won't encounter it at some stage. Especially in a busy and rather dirty capital city.
ImageImageImage
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

huh?
i'm definitely not in the 'shut everything down' camp
but the logic should be blindingly obvious

i have 5 cases of beer stashed
should i drink them all tonight, or pace myself over the next few weeks?

frizzie77, lol, @u

monstra mihi bona!
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Hysteria - An uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear.
Hysteria - extreme fear, anger, etc. that cannot be controlled.
Maybe just an accidental misuse/exaggeration of the word? No biggie. :)
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic