Polish Woman Says She's Been Robbed, Please Help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SrokKhmer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Polish Woman Says She's Been Robbed, Please Help

Post by SrokKhmer »

I have never known such uncaring people as white people in Phnom Penh, the comments on here are typical. I imagine the Khmer would not make fun and put a fellow Khmer down who was begging in the west if they saw one, especially if it was a woman. Why dont some of you get over and help her instead of spending your money on cheap beer and hookers.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

SrokKhmer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am I have never known such uncaring people as white people in Phnom Penh, the comments on here are typical. I imagine the Khmer would not make fun and put a fellow Khmer down who was begging in the west if they saw one, especially if it was a woman. Why dont some of you get over and help her instead of spending your money on cheap beer and hookers.
Why should we?

If you are so caring how about you go out of your way and send her some money?
Your comments just scream virtue signalling at its finest.

Personally, these “beg-packers” should be rounded up and have shit confiscated and sold off. Then the proceeds used to buy a one way ticket to their home country.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's not very clear whether the woman has been robbed (which is what she told people), or if she is begging for her travels. (Maybe it was both.)
Whatever the reason, she looks like she could use a helping hand. If she is living on the streets of PP, that's not very safe. Maybe she should go to the police ? They can be quite helpful when they want to be.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

SrokKhmer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am I have never known such uncaring people as white people in Phnom Penh, the comments on here are typical. I imagine the Khmer would not make fun and put a fellow Khmer down who was begging in the west if they saw one, especially if it was a woman. Why dont some of you get over and help her instead of spending your money on cheap beer and hookers.
I know what you are saying Srok, but i don't want to get into that angle.

The thing that surprises me is the level of anger some people display about such a minor issues as begging, or displaying mental health issues, loosing the plot, or just being obnoxious in small annoying ways - when there are so many more important things to get fighting furious about. (imo)

You rarely hear a peep of anger out of some people except when they are piling up on some alcoholic who has been sleeping on park benches without a visa. or similar.
Or small-time bludgers like this woman possibly is.

I just don't get it..
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL :please:
westerners see things for what they are
khmers see things for what they would like them to be

Doubt many poor Khmers, Thai's, Burmese, etc are seen begging in the western world :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are thousands of beggars in my home city, why should I give a fuck for their junkie/ gypsy bullshit? Annoying twats.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:23 am Image
Phnom Penh: A social media account under the name of Vibol Chorm posted this message and some photos, which were then reposted on a local news site.
At 04:20 pm, March 8, 2020, an unidentified Polish woman stands under the Monivong bridge at Chbar ampov and says she has been robbed.
Does anyone know her ?
Got to question the intellect of someone who would travel to a developing country like Cambodia with no money and the intent to beg. I have met foreigners who would tell me sob stories about how they were robbed, lost their passport and all their money. I always tell them to go to their consulate and they will get help there. I am an American and I know that if I am in such a situation that the US consulate will assist me in getting back to the USA and they will hold my passport until I have paid them for the trip back. I figure most nations in the world will do similar for their citizens
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

How do you know which comments are from white peeps in PP? And what is wrong with spending their money on cheap beer? And hookers?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:15 am There are thousands of beggars in my home city, why should I give a fuck for their junkie/ gypsy bullshit? Annoying twats.
Because beggars and junkys and gyps need love too. And annoying twats do too.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Begging your way across the world might seem noble to some but honestly why? Hitch hiking and getting free beds / meals via people's kindness is a different ball game, asking the poorest people to give you cash ain't the one, even if she's been robbed there must be some way to contact someone back home. Why would you ever come this far without a contingency plan? I dunno maybe I'm not naive enough.... I've got myself in many a pickle but I've always managed to get out without begging others.

Good luck to the girl, maybe she could sell her shoes.

P.s this is the internet where we are all quick to judge and fire off rounds via the keyboard, don't take it too seriously lol.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic