Coronavirus Diaries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 pm The wife tells me that we need to give her parents money so they can stock up on rice and dried fish, etc. (Everyone in PP is doing it so we should too, so she tells me).
She also said that a couple of ladies have dropped dead in the market (in the province), and that corona is everywhere now.

I gave her my usual words of wisdom about washing her hands a hundred times a day. She did her usual, 'yeah, yeah, I know'. I replied with "No, not yeah, yeah. How many times did you wash your hands yesterday?" The look on her face told me that she hadn't made any effort to consciously wash her hands at all.
Maybe it is time to stock up a little bit now. Not for the Corona virus itself, but because of the consequences of possible mass hysteria and the consequences of policies put in place by the competent authorities’ to manage the hysteria to prevent really bad things (at least what they consider bad - a change in the current status quo) from happening.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

And we thought the Doomsday Preppers were a bit nuts. I bet all of them have TP!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 pm (Everyone in PP is doing it so we should too, so she tells me).
She also said that a couple of ladies have dropped dead in the market (in the province), and that corona is everywhere now.
The curse of Facebook. As far as I know, no-one has dropped dead in the streets because of corona. Not even in China. That is because the lung infection is not something you all of a sudden have: you get sick, you go to bed or a hospital, but you don't go out walking around.
Oh yes, people have dropped dead, they tend to do that every day and everywhere because of heart attacks or other health problems.

And I'm in Phnom Penh, but I don't see panic buying (yet).
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

What are Chinese still coming to Cambodia I thought there were no flights out of China
My girl sounds so proud that Cambodia doesn't have carona but every other country does, Cambodia must be so strong
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Coronavirus Diaries

Post by rozzieoz »

I had to go and get some cash today so I wore a mask and carried hand sanitizer for anyone I had to give money to.

I live quite a way up Makara 7 (High School Road) and at least a quarter to a third of the shops were closed up.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:48 pm What are Chinese still coming to Cambodia I thought there were no flights out of China
My girl sounds so proud that Cambodia doesn't have carona but every other country does, Cambodia must be so strong
flying in daily from multiple city's throughout China!
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:48 pm My girl sounds so proud that Cambodia doesn't have carona but every other country does, Cambodia must be so strong
Reminds me of a report I did on the bird flu outbreak back in 2003. Asked people on the streets near Psar Kandal whether they would still trust the chicken sold there. Answer I heard the most was along the lines of: "Oh yes, but only from Cambodia. Vietnam chicken, no good. Thailand chicken, no good. But Cambodia chicken, good!"

It seems this country has some magical power that can fight off diseases, viruses and everything else negative from abroad. Aren't we lucky?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

BigDee wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 pm
atst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:48 pm What are Chinese still coming to Cambodia I thought there were no flights out of China
flying in daily from multiple city's throughout China!
KOW keeps on giving
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

frizzie77 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:47 pm people have dropped dead . . . every day and everywhere because of heart attacks or other health problems.
i predict an anomalous bump in the number of deaths
by heart attack, not enough sleep, too much thinking, too old, etc

but no coronavirus

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bad wind....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic