How do I secure my wifi?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kali_pare
Tourist
Finland

How do I secure my wifi?

Post by kali_pare »

This is my first post here. Recently, My friends and I went through this horrible time period where a guy from our workplace hack our wifi and ultimately hack into our conversations and credentials. After this dilemma, I am very much curious about my wifi security. The problem is that with my increased daily workload I can't research the solutions. All I want is a basic checklist to check every time and it would be more good If I can have a solution as a product. Which can secure my connection once and for all whether I am at home or not? Do you guys have any idea about this?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: How do I secure my wifi?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Short answer. Make sure WIFI security is set to WPA2 and change the password. Preferably to a phrase or unguessable combination of letters and numbers. Change the password in the router as well. Need even more security? Set Broadcast to Off. Now your WiFi won’t be seen on a list of available networks. You will have to manually enter the network name and login password.

Most WIFI networks are usually have no password and the router password is admin.

Of course if the hacker has already taken over your router with a virus program, then all bets are off. Then the router needs to be reset back to factory settings. If the hacker has overwritten the default factory settings then you are screwed.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Once all that is done, set the router so it cannot be setup via the Internet. It's usually "allow remote setup" or something similar.
up to you...
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

I am not a expert on these things but maybe a VPN would help,
https://www.pcmag.com/news/do-i-need-a-vpn-at-home
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Use wireless network watcher to monitor the situation if you're still concerned.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_ ... tcher.html
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:54 am Use wireless network watcher to monitor the situation if you're still concerned.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_ ... tcher.html
Fing, android ios does similar stuff, the free version is quite good
https://www.fing.com/products/fing-app
up to you...
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

If you have to much free time. You could try to learn how to use Kalu Linux or backbox and hack into the guys computer
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Equinix wrote:If you have to much free time. You could try to learn how to use Kalu Linux or backbox and hack into the guys computer ImageImage
Read the OP’s original message. He’s pressed for time and quick wants simple solutions that will provide a high degree of protection to his home WiFI network. Installing and programming Linux is neither quick nor simple for the average person who’s job is not Information Technology or Computer Programming.

OP - most high end routers will have the options that you are looking for. If you have insane amounts of money, buy one from Barracuda Networks, CISCO.

Follow the first couple of replies.

Change the network security to WPA2 and set the network password to a phrase (or something not easily guessable). Change the password to the router itself from default of ‘admin’. Turn off broadcast network signal. Turn off remote access. All this is usually on the ‘security’ page of the router.

Optionally, turn off ping and query responses. Or set to ‘Max Secure’ if available.

Good luck.

I got my first blackmail email threat a few days ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic