Olympic surfing, back to gladiators and lions

Title says it all really...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Olympic surfing, back to gladiators and lions

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Bravo the the surfing french frogs.
None of the usual whoosy tricks-and-manouvers competitions for them.

The planned venue for the 2024 Olympic event is probably the most dangerous reef break in the world
Teahupo’o! (chee-up-ou). Say that in hushed tones and with trembling fear in your heart.

It should be a fab spectacle - Real life and death stuff, we could get to see blood and guts spilling everywhere.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Olympic surfing, back to gladiators and lions

Post by Queef »

2024 Olympic surfing in Teahupoo?! Well damn. Go big or go home I guess... What's next? Nazare? Mavericks?

Since it's for the Olympics, are countries like Botswana, Cambodia, or Kyrgyzstan sending athletes to Tahiti? I hope not. This ain't cool runnings.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:00 am 2024 Olympic surfing in Teahupoo?! Well damn. Go big or go home I guess... What's next? Nazare? Mavericks?

Since it's for the Olympics, are countries like Botswana, Cambodia, or Kyrgyzstan sending athletes to Tahiti? I hope not. This ain't cool runnings.
Yes Commander Queeg, it blew me away too. Only for the best tho'. (thank god!!)
The info below is for Tokyo >>
I know there is very stiff competition for those four spots in the participating countries.

"Here’s the deal: There will be a total of 40 surfers competing in the 2020 Olympic Games – 20 men and 20 women. Each country can only bring a total of four surfers – two men and two women. This ensures that at least 10 surfing nations will get an opportunity to perform on the big stage."
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:21 am
Queef wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:00 am 2024 Olympic surfing in Teahupoo?! Well damn. Go big or go home I guess... What's next? Nazare? Mavericks?

Yes Commander Queeg, it blew me away too. Only for the best tho'. (thank god!!)
The info below is for Tokyo >>
I know there is very stiff competition for those four spots in the participating countries.

"Here’s the deal: There will be a total of 40 surfers competing in the 2020 Olympic Games – 20 men and 20 women. Each country can only bring a total of four surfers – two men and two women. This ensures that at least 10 surfing nations will get an opportunity to perform on the big stage."
Woah that's awesome! I'm assuming Brazil, Australia, New-Zealand, USA, Portugal, France and Fiji have already secured their spots. I'd be nice to see Indonesia and Philippines. They have tons of talented surfers.
I was looking forward to watching Olympic curling but I guess I will just have to settle for monster waves and possibly crazy wipeouts.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The japanese event could be hit-or-miss,
surf can be good but much tamer of course. or it can be crap for weeks.

Tokyo specs specifically state "for high manoeuvring short boards only"
- to suit their ninja surfers i guess
France has gone in the opposite direction about as far as you could get for 2024.
Hardcore for cheese eaters. Must be those Basque cowboys from Biarritz, they're crazybrave mad in the water and out.
chuckle

Link below explains the complex qualifying routes, and lists most of the likely competitors.
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the ... 0-olympics
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:00 am Go big or go home I guess... What's next? Nazare??
i think only the girls would handle it
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Unstoppable
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic