Should I deil in Riel?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Should I deil in Riel?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It is just a bit thoughtless to offer a $100 to any small trader for a $1 purchase
in the West, let alone here.

and 100r's are for monks and beggers.

It ain't that hard...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:27 am I don't understand the reluctance to using riel I withdraw dollars when l need to pay for large items and riel for everyday spending. I dont walk around with a bulging just enough for my daily spend in various denominations.Using riel enables me to tender the correct amount rather than collecting all thoes small notes when you have used a $20 for a small purchase.
the probelm is using riel in mini marts where thye insist on either 4100 riel or 4200 per usd. over the year riel goe sup and down with the rice harvest and usually fluctuates beteen 3900 and 4150 riel at different time of the year. If you bought riel whaen it was 3900 to the dollar you would get 250 riel less per usd. for every $100 you change you would lose 2500 riel. whether it matters much depends on how many dollars you change in a year
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am Some money exchangers try to shave that 2000 riel off of a 100 dollar bill by advertising 4080 and then trying to give only 4060. When you tell them wtf, they make an innocent face and mumble something about 4080 not true. It’s not the 2000r that is important, it’s the attitude. I know it’s an Asia thing, but can’t help feeling i want to punch these and other little tricksters to teach them honesty.
As most people consider $1=4000r, when I get my $20 worth of riel I just consider any extra over 80,000 a bonus. It'll be given away as a tip to a tuk tuk driver or homeless lady at the pagoda anyway.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

camgolian wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 amYou are right. I probably make changing a $100 harder than it has to be...now, if i go to a restaurant and spend at least maybe $15? i don't feel so bad about it...but if i'm really needing change i feel like a jerk if i get a $1 beer and hand em' a hundred lol :beer2:
petrol station.fill up hand them $100
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic