Cambodian Officials Went to UK to Study Waste Management Systems

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Cambodian Officials Went to UK to Study Waste Management Systems

Post by fazur »

disposable razors a curse
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Waste is not "sent abroad" from the UK, there are private companies who buy it, bale it up and then export it to sell for a profit. just saying.
RobinHood
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by RobinHood »

fazur wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am uk can't talk, they still have boris and royals so much solid waste
Yet another Norwegian who has a problem with the UK. If I recall, your country had Nazi sympathies in WW2 and was the site for their heavy water plant for the Atomic bomb project.

What's your problem?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

regrading nazi sympathise: https://www.biography.com/news/edward-v ... ers-hitler

pot and kettle

i have no problem with uk.

i think all royals are outdtated and often leeches
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

fazur wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:08 pm regrading nazi sympathise: https://www.biography.com/news/edward-v ... ers-hitler

pot and kettle

i have no problem with uk.

i think all royals are outdtated and often leeches
Not to mention Diana Mitford, Oswald Mosley and Wiĺiam Joyce
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

chiltern wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:38 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 am England does not have a waste management system. wheelie bins collected everyfortnight to encourage wildlife, plasti csent abraod for burning. toxic electronic waste sent to africa for recycling. last place you coul earn anything constructive about waste management. Lot of waste, lots of mismanagement
I dissagree I have a weekly kerbside collection one week being recyclable waste (paper cardboard glass metal and recyclable plastic) and the second week general non-recyclable household rubbish. Also a weekly collection of food waste. I have regular visits to my garden from foxes and the occasional deer and have never encountered any problems. I don't leave rotting food lying around in plastic sacks or leave the tops off my waste bins.
In addition for a fee I can have any green garden waste collected every other week or can take it myself to the local recycling site for free where it will be composted ans sold as garden compost.

All large retailers charge for plastic bags unless they are used to wrap meat and fish with the money going to charity to discouraged their use unlike Cambodia where in the market every item warrants its own bag. I have bought my girlfriend numerous shopping bags so it is unnecessary to bag vegetables and fruit just the meat and fish, however she forgets to take the bag.
You must be in a better managed area then me.In summer my food wheeleie bin stinks adter a few days. We already pay for waste collection, now we have to pay again for green waste? its all a con. In my youth our bins were empied daily, the rag and bone man came round weekly and took anything recycleable. And if you think it works check out how much wate the uk sends abroad. As of a few years ago there was only 1 plant in the country capabale of dismatling fridges
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The Mekong River Commission is famous for it's "sunny side of the street" approach to the environment,
They came up with a nearly perfect solution to the problem of billions of plastic water bottles
- Dehydrated water powder packaged in a paper bag

There is loads of dehydrated water in the Mekong these days
but they can't find enough trees to make the paper bags.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

RobinHood wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 am
Yet another Norwegian who has a problem with the UK. If I recall, your country had Nazi sympathies in WW2
This is totally irrelevant to the waste issue too - but what the hell...

Who had sympathies, and landmines, and cocktails, for the KR all through the 1980's - well after their genocide was fully known?

Throughout the 1980s, the KR held Cambodia’s seat in the United Nations, supported by the United States, Britain and other European nations, China and pro-Western Asian countries.

There was a time when you could meet Khmer Rouge officials at cocktail parties in Phnom Penh, with the drinks provided by the United Nations
"I found myself next to Khieu Samphan, Pol Pot’s right hand man, at a party at the U.N. mission’s headquarters in Phnom Penh at the end of 1991"
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

pczz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:29 pm
chiltern wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:38 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 am England does not have a waste management system. wheelie bins collected everyfortnight to encourage wildlife, plasti csent abraod for burning. toxic electronic waste sent to africa for recycling. last place you coul earn anything constructive about waste management. Lot of waste, lots of mismanagement
I dissagree I have a weekly kerbside collection one week being recyclable waste (paper cardboard glass metal and recyclable plastic) and the second week general non-recyclable household rubbish. Also a weekly collection of food waste. I have regular visits to my garden from foxes and the occasional deer and have never encountered any problems. I don't leave rotting food lying around in plastic sacks or leave the tops off my waste bins.
In addition for a fee I can have any green garden waste collected every other week or can take it myself to the local recycling site for free where it will be composted ans sold as garden compost.

All large retailers charge for plastic bags unless they are used to wrap meat and fish with the money going to charity to discouraged their use unlike Cambodia where in the market every item warrants its own bag. I have bought my girlfriend numerous shopping bags so it is unnecessary to bag vegetables and fruit just the meat and fish, however she forgets to take the bag.
You must be in a better managed area then me.In summer my food wheeleie bin stinks adter a few days. We already pay for waste collection, now we have to pay again for green waste? its all a con. In my youth our bins were empied daily, the rag and bone man came round weekly and took anything recycleable. And if you think it works check out how much wate the uk sends abroad. As of a few years ago there was only 1 plant in the country capabale of dismatling fridges
The UK does not "send waste abroad" it is bought by private waste management companies, they sort it and then sell it the highest bidder, wherever they may be. it's all about the money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic