Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by Big'n »

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... y-covid-19

Beijing has had four known accidental leaks of the SARS virus in recent years, so there is absolutely no reason to assume that this strain of coronavirus from Wuhan didn’t accidentally leak out as well.

Given that this outbreak was said to begin in late December when most bat species in the region are hibernating and the Chinese horseshoe bat’s habitat covers an enormous swath of the region containing scores of cities and hundreds of millions people to begin with, the fact that this Wuhan Strain of coronavirus, denoted as Covid-19, emerged in close proximity to the only BSL-4 virology lab in China, now notoriously located in Wuhan, which in turn was staffed with at least two Chinese scientists – Zhengli Shi and Xing-Yi Ge (both virologists who had previously worked at an American lab which already bio-engineered an incredibly virulent strain of bat coronavirus) – the accidental release of a bio-engineered virus meant for defensive immunotherapy research from Wuhan’s virology lab cannot be automatically discounted, especially when the Wuhan Strain’s unnatural genomic signals are considered.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Phnom Poon »

DaveG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am Northern Italy to quarantine 16 million people, that is quite a hit to the economy ......
extremely worrying
not because the virus
but because these extreme measures are happening even in supposed democracies

so the question is, if phnom penh is locked down
are you better off in the city, or fleeing to the province?

i for one don't trust the authorities here to keep the essentials flowing
on the other hand, if the city empties out, the provinces won't be able to provide

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LOL. No lockdown in France where the coronavirus is turning everyone blue. Actually, they are staging the world's biggest assembly of Schtroumpfs in an attempt to beat the Germans for the Guiness Book of Records. You couldn't make this up. :fool:
https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/la ... de-6770079
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Missus tells me SR is going crazy with people storming the supermarkets. And a bottle of alcohol gel now goes for $6.50.....
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

hanno wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:56 pm Missus tells me SR is going crazy with people storming the supermarkets. And a bottle of alcohol gel now goes for $6.50.....
Are they emptying the atms and will there be a run on the banks and deposit taking MFI's ?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:26 pm
hanno wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:56 pm Missus tells me SR is going crazy with people storming the supermarkets. And a bottle of alcohol gel now goes for $6.50.....
Are they emptying the atms and will there be a run on the banks and deposit taking MFI's ?
Probably yes as a pack of face masks now costs $25.00.......

I was at an ATM in Ha Noi just after the latest case became known, everyone in front of me pulled the maximum of VND 20 million (USD 850.00)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ACLEDA ATM's in Temple Town are empty......
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by Big'n »

If you want a clearer picture of what the Covid19 virus means for the world, watch this!

hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Big'n wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 am
hunter8 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 am The death rate and number of cases above is utter bs because most infections are not reported. If they say it is more contagious than flu, millions were infected over past two months in the world and are walking with mild symptoms. It’s an interesting social experiment this virus, showing how logic is not a strong point with so many people.
The main problem is the incubation period which could be as long as 21-24 days. Add to that it is aerosolized and very possibly contagious while the victim is asymptomatic. Fact is that we've got a Pandemic already. Post your comments one month from now. I dare say that your perspective will have changed. What is happening now in Cambodia is going to reveal the true nature of this beast called Covid19.
I am willing to bet any reasonable sum that the death toll will not exceed that registered for a normal flu. One month, three or six months from now, take your pick.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

That is over 100 deaths per day in the US alone by normal flu starting from October.

So what is all the fuss about? It’s a social experiment. Mark my words, nothing noteworthy will happen in one month or later. I will come back to remind you. More people could die from collapsed economies, possibly riots than from this virus.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

^^^This what @hunter8 says.
If I could give 100 thumbs up, I would.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic