9yo Girl Commits Suicide by Hanging in Preah Vihear

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

9yo Girl Commits Suicide by Hanging in Preah Vihear

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tragic.
Cambodia News (Preah Vihear): On March 5, 2020, at 5:20 pm, a 9-year-old girl is reported to have committed suicide by hanging, in her house in Damnak village, Sangkat Kampong Bronak, Preah Vihear.

After the post mortem examination, the police confirmed that the victim killed herself by hanging. The victim's parents said she was always angry with the family, and wanted to kill herself.
The body was returned to the family for funeral preparations. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: 9yo Girl Commits Suicide by Hanging in Preah Vihear

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Holy shit. That's extreme, I'm surprised a child would know so much about suicide. How sad that there was no real recourse to help her with her mental issues. I don't think I can recall ever hearing of a child commiting suicide.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Very sad.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I found my 21 year old son almost 7 years ago.... in his room the same way...depression is a dark hole to fall into.
I came to Cambodia to learn how to start over....
I have made progress thanks to a loving Khmer wife who is a devout Buddhist.
I wish I could of saved this little girl.....
Rest in Peace darlin.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am Holy shit. That's extreme, I'm surprised a child would know so much about suicide. How sad that there was no real recourse to help her with her mental issues. I don't think I can recall ever hearing of a child commiting suicide.
Suicide with under ten's is extremely, extremely rare.

But I'm sure the 'competent authorities' have really looked into this case and foul play is out of the question.
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

j57 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 am I found my 21 year old son almost 7 years ago.... in his room the same way...depression is a dark hole to fall into.
Rest in Peace darlin.
I’m so incredibly sorry. My youngest daughter struggled with depression and self harm for years, it was terrifying. She seems to have made it through, but this will always be a terror of mine.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

j57 wrote:I found my 21 year old son almost 7 years ago.... in his room the same way...depression is a dark hole to fall into.
Rest in Peace darlin.
Sorry to hear about that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

j57 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 am I found my 21 year old son almost 7 years ago.... in his room the same way...depression is a dark hole to fall into.
Rest in Peace darlin.
That's just horrible...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am Holy shit. That's extreme, I'm surprised a child would know so much about suicide. How sad that there was no real recourse to help her with her mental issues. I don't think I can recall ever hearing of a child commiting suicide.
My brother's best friend committed suicide when he was 8 or 9.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... icide.html
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am
Suicide with under ten's is extremely, extremely rare.

But I'm sure the 'competent authorities' have really looked into this case and foul play is out of the question.
I'm surprised there isn't more of it in the KOW. Where do they get the idea of doing such a thing from?
Surely you've all watched the Khmer music videos.
I saw this happen in a Khmer music video a couple of years ago. A girl, dumped by her boyfriend, goes into the bedroom and ties up a rope to kill herself when her mother walks in and saves her. But it was very clear to anyone watching what the rope was for and what her intentions were.
My daughter was sitting there watching it (she was about 9 or 10 at the time). I told my wife to turn it off, and told my daughter not to look. Both of them were like 'huh, what's the problem'. I had to insist that they turn it off and not watch it.
I got the impression from the look on their face that they would just watch it when I wasn't around.

That sort of thing in a music video is just plain irresponsible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic