Australian, Garry Paul Mulroy, Arrested for Child Sex Abuse in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian, Garry Paul Mulroy, Arrested for Child Sex Abuse in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Teacher, 64, who was locked up in a Cambodian jail for allegedly 'molesting boys as young as 11' is pictured hooked up to a drip and sprawled out on a Louis Vuitton blanket after his health fails
By Sahar Mourad For Daily Mail Australia and Australian Associated Press
Published: 00:18 GMT, 27 February 2020 | Updated: 00:22 GMT, 27 February 2020

A teacher accused of molesting boys as young as 11 has been pictured in hospital hooked on a drip and sprawled out on a Louis Vuitton blanket as his health deteriorates.

Garry Paul Mulroy allegedly persuaded six boys, from poor families, to have sex with him in exchange for food and money.

The 64-year-old has spent the past year inside Siem Reap Prison in Cambodia since he was arrested on January 29 last year.
Images have emerged of Mulroy dressed in an orange jumpsuit in a Cambodian hospital.

Mulroy, who suffers from diabetes, was moved from the prison to a hospital where he is receiving urgent medical attention.
Pictuers(sic) taken inside the hospital show him dressed in an orange jumpsuit and attached to a drip.

Mulroy is set to have his case heard in an appeal court in Phnom Penh next week where a judge will decide if the charges should be dropped or not.

If convicted he faces 15 years imprisonment for soliciting children for prostitution.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

What a strange photo.......

Suspected nonce case with children playing in the background
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

DaveG wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm What a strange photo.......

Suspected nonce case with children playing in the background
Well spotted.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi everybody,
I was wondering about this case, mainly because I was curious about how come this man, Garry Mulroy, was running a school for six kids in the first place. After reading the comments from the CESHE facebook page from people who volunteered with him at this school https://www.facebook.com/cesheschool, a possible motive for a set-up stands out. The guy who was running the school was allegedly embezzling the money from volunteers and donors to his NGO to build himself a house and a lot of the donated money was not going towards the kids. These allegations were made by a number of people on facebook at the time of Mulroy's arrest, and they seem to be genuine. That said, we have all heard of child sex abuse cases where the nearest and dearest close to the perpetrator did not suspect any wrong-doing. Predators against children are very careful to cover their tracks. So, I'm not saying that this man is innocent, but I am saying that there may have been a possible motive to set him up.

I am definitely NOT saying, free Garry Mulroy. Against him are serious charges of sexually abusing children and I don't take that lightly. Also, against him is the fact that he worked for a Catholic college in Australia where there was a documented culture of sexual abuse against children. He also had incredibly candid photos of half-naked children and adolescents on his facebook page that creeped me out.

However, we know that justice in Cambodia is relative, and a number of people that worked with him in Cambodia, over periods of months at a time, said they believe that he is innocent. They suggest that the director of the NGO school may have acted out of revenge when Mulroy left his school with students and donors, and started up a rival establishment. These facebook posts from the NGO volunteers date back to the time of Mulroy's arrest last year and it would be interesting to know if they stand by their statements today. If any of them are reading this, then it would be good to hear what they have to say.

From the facebook page above - all these posts are about a year old from the facebook link posted above - but it seems that a lot of genuine people think, or thought that Mulroy was set up because he called out the NGO director as a scammer, attacking his gravy-train.
(As I said, I don't have more information than anyone else with internet connection, but I thought that it was worth bringing this up for discussion/examination and to see if there's anyone out there with more information.)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It looks a tough case @Anchor Moy. His defence seems slightly credible based on the media reporting, but it appears a trifle thin...

If I hadn't seen those fucking creepy Facebook Pics....

I severely doubt any parent on here would allow those... There would certainly be questions..

It all seems somewhat circumstantial at best - no forensics or hard proof - unless APLE have it..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Latest update:
March 6, 2020. Standing outside court in Phnom Penh Cambodia, retired Australian teacher Garry Paul Mulroy's is hoping allegations he molested young boys while volunteering in Cambodia will be annulled when his case is heard by an appeals court in Phnom Penh next week. His barrister says the hearing has been postponed. If convicted Mulroy faces 15 years imprisonment for soliciting children for prostitution, after spending the past year inside Siem Reap Prison with bail denied.
https://www.news.com.au/national/austra ... f6af2afd8d
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australian sent back to Cambodian prison
By AAP
5:38pm Mar 6, 2020

Alleged Australian pedophile Garry Mulroy has been sent back to a Cambodian prison after a legal mix-up resulted in judges deciding not to make a ruling an annulment of his charges.
Dressed in prison orange, Garry Mulroy, from Lismore in northern NSW, was clearly disappointed after an overnight drive in a prison van from northwest Siem Reap to the capital, where he had hoped the charges would be dropped.
"I am innocent, yes," he told AAP outside the court on Friday. "What irks me is the boys, they have lost an opportunity for an education and life in general."
Mulroy's case won the attention of Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison after an independent report commissioned by the defence found no evidence to support the charges and that Mulroy was the victim of an extortion bid amid petty rivalries among foreign-run charities.
The 64-year-old former private Catholic school teacher had attempted to establish an NGO called Education House with six children who police later alleged he had procured for sex in exchange for food and money.

However, the report, by risk management consultant Ross Milosevic, including affidavits from people who knew the children, found no evidence to support the charges and that police interviews were made "under extreme duress, intimidation and extortion".
"I can honestly say these boys were never abused by the accused. The boys honesty and demeanour showed no attitude that they were ever mistreated or abused sexually in any way," a witness says in the report.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/australi ... 1c1a3adcc5

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

Teachers are now trained to protect three things: protect the students, protect the school and protect themselves from even the appearance of impropriety. For example, in my most recent in service training, we were shown different ways to high five and fist bump with students without causing any questions of inappropriate touching. Also at my current school, we have bathrooms for students and bathrooms for teachers. If a teacher were caught using a student bathroom, he might be on the next plane out.

This guy may well be innocent of any sexual misconduct but taking pictures of students bathing is such a knucklehead move, it’s hard to feel sympathy for the man even if he didn’t do anything.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

AmericanSteve wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:27 am Teachers are now trained to protect three things: protect the students, protect the school and protect themselves from even the appearance of impropriety. For example, in my most recent in service training, we were shown different ways to high five and fist bump with students without causing any questions of inappropriate touching. Also at my current school, we have bathrooms for students and bathrooms for teachers. If a teacher were caught using a student bathroom, he might be on the next plane out.

This guy may well be innocent of any sexual misconduct but taking pictures of students bathing is such a knucklehead move, it’s hard to feel sympathy for the man even if he didn’t do anything.
Being a Foreigner and popular at my school, every day I am very consciencous of appearances at school. The girls like to hug and I had to stop that immediately as it's inappropriate. I high five and fist bump the girls the same way I do the boys.

If the chap is innocent, I pray he is released soon. what a terrible thing to have happened if he is innocent. I don't understand why they can't simply interview the 6 boys for a case conclusion.
Still here, in country...
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

interesting thread..
it seems some are part of a lynch mob ready to kill this guy.
i think the picture is not a smart move but you cannot understand the feeling of the people in it at the time it was taken..
perhaps, it is just pure innocent and humans having a great time...
Going through his Facebook looking at his posts seems creepier to me than him putting them up there...provided he is not a sex maniac child molester...
It is like a guy jacking off to a Sears catalogue or issue of Vogue magazine...
The catalogue and magazine are filled with ads selling clothes ....but people pleasure themselves to them nonetheless..
Let the court do its job..
I suspect he will be found guilty due to the atmosphere that permeates this forum and the public....
Old dudes need to stay the fuck away from kids of both sexes or face the consequences and lynch mob mentality.
I, for one, hope he is innocent REGARDLESS OF THE VERDICT...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic