Malaysia struggles with democracy

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Malaysia struggles with democracy

Post by Anchor Moy »

Opposition leader prepares to go to jail yet again:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 17559.html
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - A decade since a judge freed Anwar Ibrahim from prison over sodomy and corruption charges, the beleaguered 67-year-old Malaysian opposition figure is again facing the prospect of a lengthy jail term on similar allegations.

In a decision in March that took just 90 minutes, judges allowed a government appeal against his 2012 acquittal on charges of sodomy - a crime in Malaysia - and sentenced him to five years in prison.

Anwar and his lawyers return to court on Tuesday to appeal the ruling and, they say, hopefully reverse it once and for all.

"There's a lot of concern about whether the court will adjudicate fairly, justly, based on facts of the law," Anwar said during an interview at his party headquarters on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur. "Nobody, certainly not my family, not at my age, wants me to return to prison, but what do I do? I have to endure. continue this fight with courage."

Anwar was a senior figure in the ruling party and deputy prime minister before being sacked and jailed at the height of the 1998 Asian financial crisis, bringing thousands of supporters onto the streets. Anwar, who was denied bail and beaten in custody during the first trial, has long maintained the charges against him are politically motivated.