Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Clemen »

"Coronavirus COVID-19 is being called a pandemic by insurers, making travel insurance policies void"
Full: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... n/12027638
up to you...
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Clemen wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am "Coronavirus COVID-19 is being called a pandemic by insurers, making travel insurance policies void"
I am in process of purchasing ticket for summer and was looking into that issue... I found this on a site I have purchased a few times in the past === Travel Protection Plan

Makes me feel like its not even worth it to purchase.... any thoughts???

What’s does the Travel Protection Plan cover?Unforeseen sickness, injury, or death of the Insured, a Traveling Companion, Immediate Family Member, or Business Partner. (Certain exclusions apply.) Requires medical documentation from a licensed M.D. Pre-existing medical conditions may be excluded.

The Insured’s principal residence being made uninhabitable by fire, flood or similar natural disaster, vandalism, or burglary.

• The Insured(s) being subpoenaed, required to serve on jury duty, hijacked, or quarantined.
• Being involved in or delayed due to an automobile accident en route to departure.
• Inclement weather that causes complete cessation of services for 24 hrs.
• Strike, resulting in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure and/or destination.
• A Terrorist Incident in a City listed on the Insured’s itinerary (Please see the specific wording for your state included in the certificate of coverage).
• A delay due to theft of passports or visas specifically required for the Insured’s Trip.
• Insured or a Traveling Companion being the victim of a Felonious Assault within 10 days prior to his/her departure date.

Reasons not covered:
• Carrier-caused delays such as mechanical difficulties
Travel arrangements cancelled by the tour operator, airline, or cruise line.
• Change in plans (“I just don’t want to go.”).
• Normal pregnancy or childbirth.
• Financial circumstances (“I can’t afford to go.”).
• Business or contractual obligations (“My boss changed my vacation.”).
• Any government regulation or prohibition, war, civil disorder. (Unless otherwise covered specifically in the policy).
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:28 am LINK RE VIRUS STRAINS:

Two separate types of the novel coronavirus — one more aggressive than the other — could be infecting people during the sweeping outbreak, Chinese scientists revealed in a new study.

The preliminary study, conducted by researchers from Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, revealed that the infection has evolved into two major types, designated L and S.
Sorry, but I don't trust ANYTHING coming out of China now! I smell a coverup.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cambodia still sticking with one??? even thou they say they have quarantined 4 from that viet jet plane but have NOT said they were reporting positive

Karakoram Highway in Pakistan is part of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor
Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia and Pakistan may be under-reporting cases of Covid-19 to avoid antagonising China, on whom they rely for major investments in infrastructure, the analyst Fitch Solutions said in a research note yesterday.

Laos and Myanmar have yet to report a single case, while Cambodia is reporting one and Pakistan has logged five so far.

This appears anomalous because Chinese companies and workers had a heavy presence in those countries before the outbreak in Wuhan captured international attention.

Fitch said poor healthcare systems might go some way to explaining the low numbers.

But it added that “a desire to avoid antagonising China by ‘overreacting’ to the outbreak” is also a cause.

The four countries are all participating in China’s Belt and Road Initiative, which gives them access to capital for infrastructure in exchange for loyalty to China.

China, meanwhile, has repeatedly voiced displeasure with countries instituting travel restrictions against its citizens.
http://www.globalconstructionreview.com ... nnxMmRncp0
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

Big'n wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:09 am

Two separate types of the novel coronavirus — one more aggressive than the other — could be infecting people during the sweeping outbreak, Chinese scientists revealed in a new study.

The preliminary study, conducted by researchers from Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, revealed that the infection has evolved into two major types, designated L and S.

To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 am
Clemen wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am "Coronavirus COVID-19 is being called a pandemic by insurers, making travel insurance policies void"
I am in process of purchasing ticket for summer and was looking into that issue... I found this on a site I have purchased a few times in the past === Travel Protection Plan

Makes me feel like its not even worth it to purchase.... any thoughts???

What’s does the Travel Protection Plan cover?Unforeseen sickness, injury, or death of the Insured, a Traveling Companion, Immediate Family Member, or Business Partner. (Certain exclusions apply.) Requires medical documentation from a licensed M.D. Pre-existing medical conditions may be excluded.

The Insured’s principal residence being made uninhabitable by fire, flood or similar natural disaster, vandalism, or burglary.

• The Insured(s) being subpoenaed, required to serve on jury duty, hijacked, or quarantined.
• Being involved in or delayed due to an automobile accident en route to departure.
• Inclement weather that causes complete cessation of services for 24 hrs.
• Strike, resulting in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure and/or destination.
• A Terrorist Incident in a City listed on the Insured’s itinerary (Please see the specific wording for your state included in the certificate of coverage).
• A delay due to theft of passports or visas specifically required for the Insured’s Trip.
• Insured or a Traveling Companion being the victim of a Felonious Assault within 10 days prior to his/her departure date.

Reasons not covered:
• Carrier-caused delays such as mechanical difficulties
Travel arrangements cancelled by the tour operator, airline, or cruise line.
• Change in plans (“I just don’t want to go.”).
• Normal pregnancy or childbirth.
• Financial circumstances (“I can’t afford to go.”).
• Business or contractual obligations (“My boss changed my vacation.”).
• Any government regulation or prohibition, war, civil disorder. (Unless otherwise covered specifically in the policy).
I would think you would still want to be covered by medical and otherwise for things other than coronavirus.

And if airlines cancel I think they give you options to reschedule or refund but again you have to check the respective airline's policy on that before purchasing.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Went for a check-up at Pachem Dental in Siem Reap and they have a little table set up outside with hand clearer for everyone going in.
They are also taking temperatures.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

AmericanSteve wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

Good to know where your priorities lie "American Steve"
:assasin:
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Interesting sat photos before and after corona virus, mostly China, but also Mecca, Disney Tokyo etc.
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... fmredir=sm
up to you...
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

Big'n wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:30 am
AmericanSteve wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

Good to know where your priorities lie "American Steve"
:assasin:
CDC is covering up cases and you don’t trust China? Must be nice to be so blind.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic