Newbie looking for advice: Should I bring cash, credit or both to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Newbie looking for advice: Should I bring cash, credit or both to Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor »

Be careful with saves in Cambodian hotels / guesthouses. You won't be first having notes exchanged for 'copies'. If you use it, use the large safe downstairs. Put your money in a sealed / signed envelope, preferably with with note numbers written on it. Let the owner of the property sign he agreed.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

convert $100-$200 to US dollars in Australia, mixture of $1 - $5 - $10 -$20 before you leave.

get an ING account and debit card, start using the debit card 5-10 purchases a month for small purchases so that you get no ATM fees on withdraw.

also get a Citibank account and card, its free, and they give good rates and no ATM fees when using there ATMs in Thailand and Vietnam.

take $100-$300 in Australian $50's.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The Seawolf wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm Travellers cheques and Luncheon Vouchers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

One more idea, bring it all in pristine USD (or your local currency and convert on arrival) and on arrival open a Wing or True Money or PiPay account and deposit most of the cash in that. Withdraw as and when needed. Personally I would not keep any cash in any hotel safe.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Credit cards (mastercard/visa) can pay for your hotels, Western oriented restaurants and supermarkets. Cash will be needed for things like taxis, ticket purchases, meals at smaller restaurants, etc.

Depending on what your planning on doing, I'd bring $400-$500 USD (as noted bring new crisp bills) and plan on making a withdrawal while your here if needed. Pay for your hotels with credit cards. If your travelling with a family I might bring a few hundred more in cash as you'll be spending more for meals and stuff. All comes down to what your planning on doing/seeing and how much travelling around your planning on.

I don't think travel to Cambodia is much different than travel to most other tourist destinations. Plan ahead and use common sense and you'll be fine. Enjoy.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Get a Monzo account/card for payments by card, they give the going rate without any fees or %'s on purchases. I saved fortunes not having currency conversions then %'s added on.

I imagine using a standard credit/bank card you'd get a shit rate followed by a fee followed by a % for using the card abroad. Fuck that noise.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

arthur.gane wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm I am looking at a few week's holiday in Cambodia next year. I just want to ask, first up, should I bring cash or credit cards or a mixture of both.
What I did was I came with enough cash to pay for the visa and a little extra to pay for transportation to my hostel. Then I would take out half my spending budget from Canadia bank. Any 100s I would bring to the bank and ask for smaller bills. I would then go to money changers and take out 100USD worth of riels which I use at markets, in the provinces, local restaurants, tuk-tuks, and street food. I use dollars when I go place such as Amazon or convenience stores due to their exchange rates being 4100riels per dollar. The markets will be about 4000 riels per dollar. Most restaurants on the riverside, close to the malls, as well as supermarkets such as Thai Hout and Lucky, accept credit cards. When I had an apartment I would take out 1000 a month and I would exchange the entire amount at the money changers. The money changer usually gives between 4060 to 4080 and between the extra 60 to 80 riels and the 10.00worth of ATMs fees reimbursed I would make 7.00 profit. Another Idea would be to go to a supermarket and offer to pay the grocery bill with your credit card in exchange for the cash equivalent. I did that a few times when I had lost my debit card and it takes a while to get a sufficient amount because most bills are less than 7.00 but it adds up. When i was with my girlfriend I would have her spot me a few dollars when I needed it and then I would repay her when I paid her allowance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic