How anal is Cambodia vs Laos with dollars

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

How anal is Cambodia vs Laos with dollars

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

It feels like Laos inspects dollar bills with a magnifying glass to make sure there are no tiny blemishes.

I'm trying to remember what Cambodians are like. I know they don't want tears etc, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to look like they're newly minted.

Just wondering how to approach purchasing them for my visa at the border.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: How anal is Cambodia vs Laos with dollars

Post by Marty »

Go to the biggest and best bank wherever you are and purchase your paper money there. Inspect each bill as if you are a Laotian. You will be safe in both countries then. I personally dont even bother with paper any more. Gold is so high that i just tap into the vast stash of 1/10 gold coins that I have and carry those in my front jeans pockets. Much less bulky than all that paper. Of course diversify and bring some paper for those that insist on payment in that.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm Go to the biggest and best bank wherever you are and purchase your paper money there. Inspect each bill as if you are a Laotian. You will be safe in both countries then. I personally dont even bother with paper any more. Gold is so high that i just tap into the vast stash of 1/10 gold coins that I have and carry those in my front jeans pockets. Much less bulky than all that paper. Of course diversify and bring some paper for those that insist on payment in that.

Your pockets are so filled up with your med's , I'm surprised that you would have enough room in your pockets for gold . :stir:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

LOL thats a good point. My female travelling companion carries those. Tip: ladies are never, ever, bothered about prescription or non prescripiton medications they carry in the quantities I need and want. Another tip: be very anal about the female travelling companions you choose.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're not that bad anymore. A noticeable tear or writing will be difficult, but creases and stuff like that don't matter anymore.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

$100s are inspected far more for slight tears or even creases.
$20s..$10s..$5s...i never have issues ...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm Go to the biggest and best bank wherever you are and purchase your paper money there. Inspect each bill as if you are a Laotian. You will be safe in both countries then. I personally dont even bother with paper any more. Gold is so high that i just tap into the vast stash of 1/10 gold coins that I have and carry those in my front jeans pockets. Much less bulky than all that paper. Of course diversify and bring some paper for those that insist on payment in that.
And it makes you look like you have a package :stir:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:51 pm LOL thats a good point. My female travelling companion carries those. Tip: ladies are never, ever, bothered about prescription or non prescripiton medications they carry in the quantities I need and want. Another tip: be very anal about the female travelling companions you choose.
SO you take a ladyboy?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic