May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by King Keil »

Which thieve would just change one bill and leave two genuine hundred dollar bills with the victim?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

You all know the Mish.

We have taken our cash direct from *** to CUBC and we are impeccable.

They have refused our bills many times.

Last time refused 400$ out of 11k.

I am inclined to believe the tin hats out of direct experience.

So says Mish and the boys.

The boys have worked 16+ years Ironman and the Mish 10 years working the son of Ironman.

We have no record lying or deceiving the people for even1 riel.

If you say Mish or the boys lie then we will be Prey Sar a long time.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

That $100 bills are refused is not the same as that they're fake.
$100 bills may be refused, because they're "too old", which may refer to 'looking too old in general', having an even tiny tear, or a particular year of issuance, that almost everybody refuses, but I forgot the specific year. I think it was because there were a lot of indeed counterfeit bills around with that particular year on it.

In all my 17 years in the wonderful Kingdom, I have not once had a fake US bill. I repeat: not once, although I'm touching wood now.

I have had only ONCE (in SEVENTEEN years) experienced that a business tried to refuse my $100. It was of that particular year I mentioned above but otherwise perfectly alright. I made a big drama out of it, shouting around the reception area I would not accept this, and after some deliberation the business decided my $100 note was acceptable. (BTW, that was Online Internet Provider, but really a long time ago.)

So, really, someone claiming an ATM produced a fake $100 bill forgot about his/her activities after that withdrawal.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frizzie77 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 pm That $100 bills are refused is not the same as that they're fake.
$100 bills may be refused, because they're "too old", which may refer to 'looking too old in general', having an even tiny tear, or a particular year of issuance, that almost everybody refuses, but I forgot the specific year. I think it was because there were a lot of indeed counterfeit bills around with that particular year on it.

In all my 17 years in the wonderful Kingdom, I have not once had a fake US bill. I repeat: not once, although I'm touching wood now.

I have had only ONCE (in SEVENTEEN years) experienced that a business tried to refuse my $100. It was of that particular year I mentioned above but otherwise perfectly alright. I made a big drama out of it, shouting around the reception area I would not accept this, and after some deliberation the business decided my $100 note was acceptable. (BTW, that was Online Internet Provider, but really a long time ago.)

So, really, someone claiming an ATM produced a fake $100 bill forgot about his/her activities after that withdrawal.
I'm inclined to agree. I was aware that US$ notes pre-2000 were undesirable, as I was advised at a money-exchange place in Muscat. They made sure all my notes were 2001 or younger. It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.

I was once handed a note in change in PP that I missed, and it was 1997 or 1998. It was subsequently rejected at a restaurant due to it's age. (It was a $20 bill.) Asked my little lady, and she got it accepted. Nothing wrong with it, just wrong date.

So I am with frizzie on this one.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Yep... However *** is in the news for some reason. My notes were refused - not just once either, despite going from *** to CUBC directly. I dun see other banks in the news. Sure we spent the $$$ elsewhere but all the same it makes you wonder. We take extra from *** to cover the losses, It's not a joke, nor am I a fool.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Yerg wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.
Yup, indeed. First, to check that I've got what I wanted. Second, to check the 'validity' of the notes, knowing perfectly well I'm being recorded. So, IF there would be something wrong (again, that never happened, and I don't think it ever will) I would hold up the fake note to the camera.

Now, why oh why we never saw that in these 'fake note' stories? Oh, wait, I think there was one instance, although the camera also perfectly registered how the real note was swapped with a fake one. That one was hilarious!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 am
Yerg wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.
Yup, indeed. First, to check that I've got what I wanted. Second, to check the 'validity' of the notes, knowing perfectly well I'm being recorded. So, IF there would be something wrong (again, that never happened, and I don't think it ever will) I would hold up the fake note to the camera.

Now, why oh why we never saw that in these 'fake note' stories? Oh, wait, I think there was one instance, although the camera also perfectly registered how the real note was swapped with a fake one. That one was hilarious!
QED fella! There's a real stable smell around here of utter horse-shit!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 am My notes were refused -
I'm willing to bet that they weren't refused due to having COPY printed on them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic