Meeting people in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: meeting people in pp

Post by Captain Bonez »

Not the same, bruh
IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:47 pm These reoccurring questions about how to meet new friends
Herk wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 am where can one meet people for friendship in pp ?

As for Herk, like someone already said, go to the Riverside area first. Go to Garage Bar and Larry's opposite on st.110 and see if either of those pique your interest. Check out Oscar's Bar on st.104 (maybe after 10pm) for some live music and if that's not your thing stay on st.104 or head over to street 136 and pay someone to be your friend for a couple of hours. St.172 also has plenty of places to eat and drink where you'll meet some interesting characters Image :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:13 pm Not the same, bruh
IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:47 pm These reoccurring questions about how to meet new friends
Herk wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 am where can one meet people for friendship in pp ?

As for Herk, like someone already said, go to the Riverside area first. Go to Garage Bar and Larry's opposite on st.110 and see if either of those pique your interest. Check out Oscar's Bar on st.104 (maybe after 10pm) for some live music and if that's not your thing stay on st.104 or head over to street 136 and pay someone to be your friend for a couple of hours. St.172 also has plenty of places to eat and drink where you'll meet some interesting characters Image :thumb:
While there are a proliferation of drunks, whores and mongers on Riverside, there are also little diamonds of places that aren't the habitat of these same folk @pczz. We are born with two eyes, two ears and one mouth to be used in proportion. If it looks and sounds like a monger pit, then it probably is. Pay up your tab, and move on to the next place. Capt Bonez's suggestions are two of the better ones, there are others. Frequenting Riverside doesn't de facto make you a drunk or a monger. GSM certainly has a higher propensity for those types, but nor is that exclusive. I'm neither a drunk nor a monger, but by your definitions, I am both. I prefer to give people the benefit of any doubt, and will continue to steer Mr. Herk to a more populated and friendly part of town, and presume he has the minerals to take care of himself.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

@Yerg I am working on the balance of probablilities and i rarely meet anyone on riverside who is not monger or a drunk. If you are in a ladybar then you are most likely there to enjoy the facilities, not discuss world politics
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Meeting people in Phnom Penh?

Post by John Bingham »

If you want to meet people in "pp" you need to make an effort to go out and find them. It's not exactly difficult, most people are friendly enough here. If you're the type of low effort individual who can't be bothered to capitalize your words while expecting everyone else to do favors for you - then I'm afraid I can't help you. Good luck.
Last edited by John Bingham on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:50 pm @Yerg I am working on the balance of probablilities and i rarely meet anyone on riverside who is not monger or a drunk. If you are in a ladybar then you are most likely there to enjoy the facilities, not discuss world politics
Happy to meet up and demonstrate my lack of monging and drunkard characteristics next time I'm in town. Corner 136 work for you? :beer3: :lol:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:50 pm @Yerg I am working on the balance of probablilities and i rarely meet anyone on riverside who is not monger or a drunk. If you are in a ladybar then you are most likely there to enjoy the facilities, not discuss world politics
Happy to meet up and demonstrate my lack of monging and drunkard characteristics next time I'm in town. Corner 136 work for you? :beer3: :lol:
I said balance of probabilities, not 100% so pelase don't take this personally Sadlythat area is of no interest to me. i dont drink, i dont chase ladies(or ladyboys) and I have no interest in sport so 99% of the people who hang out there are on a different planet to me. i would rather discuss middle east politics than whether manu or liverpool are going to win the cup and which girls has the cutest ass, or which beer is stronger or where you can get the best weed. Bizarrely i know more cambodinas interested in duiscussing world event than I know expats.
FOR CLARITY I think there are more than 1 group of expat. there are the longtermers who have made their lives in the KOW who are not the same as the ones who go home, fill the bank account and come here once or twice a year to have some fun. Third group are here becuase they have nowhere else to go. In general, riverside is for group 2, IMHO
Last edited by pczz on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm
Yerg wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm
I said balance of probabilities, not 100%. Sadlythat area is of no interest to me. i dont drink, i dont chase ladies(or ladyboys) and I have no interest in sport so 99% of the people who hang out there are on a different planet to me. i would rather discuss middle east politics than whether manu or liverpool are going to win the cup and which girls has the cutest ass, or which beer is stronger or where you can get the best weed.
I can do Middle East politics, of that I have no doubt... :lol:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm i would rather discuss middle east politics than...
I'm the same, I couldn't give a flying fuck about sport - but at the same time I don't want to get into discussions about the Middle East - that just ends in tears. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Meeting people in Phnom Penh?

Post by Mishmash »

Stay away from anywhere Mishmash goes, He is a troublesome twat by any account.
Last edited by Mishmash on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:05 am
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm i would rather discuss middle east politics than...
I'm the same, I couldn't give a flying fuck about sport - but at the same time I don't want to get into discussions about the Middle East - that just ends in tears. :roll:
We could discuss the migratory patterns of the North Eastern Tern. Would that suit, instead?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic