Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Anchor Moy »

Well, no deaths or even cases in Cambodia because we are all super-resistant. :dm:

Seriously, I'm inclined to believe that coronavirus cases in Cambodia will only be officially reported, either 1/ when someone dies and they can't cover it up , or 2/ when there is a big outbreak that can't be covered up.
Whatever, be prepared for some "fresh news" from the authorities. It will be downplayed, and of course the Cambodian health system is ready in case of a pandemic. ;-)
Personally, unless you plan to leave the country, I don't see the point of panicking. We know the health system here is shite and should be prepared to take care of ourselves.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A second patient contracts virus within the UK
4m ago
One of the 12 people who have tested positive for the virus contracted it from within the UK, according to the chief medical officer Chris Whitty.

In a statement he said: “One patient, resident in Essex, had no relevant travel and it is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from the abroad; investigations are ongoing.”

On Friday a man from Surrey became the first to contract to test positive for Covid-19 without having recently been abroad.

In his statement Whitty added:Three patients were close contacts of a known case, transmitted in the UK, identified as part of contact tracing.

The patients who have recently travelled are from London, West Yorkshire, Great Manchester, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire. All are being investigated and contract tracing has begun.

The total number of confirmed cases in England is now 33. Following previously reported confirmed cases in Northern Ireland and Wales, the total number of UK cases is 35.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... orea-japan
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm Well, no deaths or even cases in Cambodia because we are all super-resistant. :dm:

Seriously, I'm inclined to believe that coronavirus cases in Cambodia will only be officially reported, either 1/ when someone dies and they can't cover it up , or 2/ when there is a big outbreak that can't be covered up.
Whatever, be prepared for some "fresh news" from the authorities. It will be downplayed, and of course the Cambodian health system is ready in case of a pandemic. ;-)
Personally, unless you plan to leave the country, I don't see the point of panicking. We know the health system here is shite and should be prepared to take care of ourselves.
Perhaps Cambodias best bet (and unofficial strategy) is to let the virus run its course, rather than waste resources on futile efforts from a health system not up to the task for testing, containment, or treating severe cases.
In Cambodias favor, its off-flu season here, warm and dry, and a relatively young population.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I feel the worst is yet to come when it gets into the poorer areas of Philippines, Indonesia, and India. I wont mention Cambodia even though I saw two people spitting on the street this morning just outside the Old Market.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:34 am I feel the worst is yet to come when it gets into the poorer areas of Philippines, Indonesia, and India. I wont mention Cambodia even though I saw two people spitting on the street this morning just outside the Old Market.
:stir: when?
ur assuming it not already has but not reported as they are not equipped to run tests.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

US confirmed the second CoVID-19 death, also in Seattle area (same as the first fatality)
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Patient zero took a hit outta this

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

'Herd immunity' is the only way the world will get on top of this virus without a vaccine. That requires a large percent of the population to have had contact with the virus.

Managing the spread is now the focus. Keep the spread below a level that swamps hospitals.

Africa will be a nightmare to control the spread of virus. Expect Africa to take over from China as the place the world focuses on in the near future.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

paparazzi wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:53 am 'Herd immunity' is the only way the world will get on top of this virus without a vaccine. That requires a large percent of the population to have had contact with the virus.

Managing the spread is now the focus. Keep the spread below a level that swamps hospitals.

Africa will be a nightmare to control the spread of virus. Expect Africa to take over from China as the place the world focuses on in the near future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic